Mom taking out 2 wk old kitten

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't just assume the kittens are catching herpes.  If they catch a URI they will start sneezing.  Until a vet tells you they have herpes, they don't.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told my rescue cat probably had Herpes and to just give L-ysine.  When the vet saw her for the first time he said he didn't see any sign of it.  I t may be allergies. I don't know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrandmrsroda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
a couple of them
sneeZe every now and then. Hope thats normal for babies. maybe dust?

mrandmrsroda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
l
I was told my rescue cat probably had Herpes and to just give L-ysine.  When the vet saw her for the first time he said he didn't see any sign of it.  I t may be allergies. I don't know.
lysine is awesome. But my cat knows when i put it in his food and refuses. i need
to find drops to force it.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some sticky stuff, smells like maple syrup to me, that i just put on her foot so she has to lick it off to clean it.

mrandmrsroda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
herpes comes in waves. Stress brings it back out. We went away once, as soon as we came back he was sneezing,
low app, runny eyes. One day its there, next day its not. Very strange. The lysine shortens the symptoms. my cats were at deaths door btw when they caught it last yr. 106+ fever, sub fluids every few hrs on both because they couldnt eat or drink since they had no
smell. i even did my own antibiotic injections everyday. it was crazy!!! They had to teach me everything. So im traumatized lol!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the kittens are sneezing they may have an upper respiratory infection (URI), which is also contagious and would require antibiotics. I suggest that you consult with a vet about their eyes, the sneezing, and the herpes.

Assuming that it's allergies or using medicine prescribed for an adult cat for a different condition is not recommended with young kittens.

mrandmrsroda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the kittens are sneezing they may have an upper respiratory infection (URI), which is also contagious and would require antibiotics. I suggest that you consult with a vet about their eyes, the sneezing, and the herpes.

Assuming that it's allergies or using medicine prescribed for an adult cat for a different condition is not recommended with young kittens.
Its actually viral,
antibiotics only help with secondary infections. I will flip out if they catch this. My cat upstairs is fine. Vet saw him last week to update on shots to get ready for when we adopt one of the kittens. Unless hes a carrier of this germ. Keep fingers crossed for us!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand that herpes is viral. I think you need to consult with your vet regarding the best way to keep the kittens from catching it.

And only the vet can tell you what is needed for the kittens' eyes and if the sneezing is from a URI or not.

Perhaps you should test the kittens for herpes before re-homing them. You should certainly warn anyone you are giving them too that they may have been exposed.

Last edited:

mrandmrsroda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand that herpes is viral. I think you need to consult with your vet regarding the best way to keep the kittens from catching it.

And only the vet can tell you what is needed for the kittens' eyes and if the sneezing is from a URI or not.

Perhaps you should test the kittens for herpes before re-homing them. You should certainly warn anyone you are giving them too that they may have been exposed.
Everyone already knows they r showing mild cold symptoms. All eyes were open today with very little discharge. The one i am taking is sneezing but tiny tiny baby sneezes. Clear little dots of fluid on her whiskers after. I am praying that its just a mild case of uri and will run its course. Would b wonderful if its just dusty downstairs and thats the reason! nobody had glued eyes today after their naps. Thats a good sign right?

mrandmrsroda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
everything has been amazing the last few weeks!! We r having a blast! They r so smart, crazy, cute, spoiled etc. Mom lets us do whatever the heck we want! Its so cool.

So! Tmrrw is the big day. I need instructions on how to do this. I do know pate is the way to go w added water. Does it have to b the expensive brands? Can it be friskies pate or is that terrible? What about mixing the pate with top quality kibble? and portions, we have to talk portions! Dont want to make them sick.

Also, do we introduce litter box tmrrw as well or can mom continue taking care of that? ughh I love it! No pee or poo is awesome! I still have them in an enclosed house. My husband wants to build an extension onto it for a little litter box so they dont roam free. does that sound like a good idea? Any advice is welcome.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
everything has been amazing the last few weeks!! We r having a blast! They r so smart, crazy, cute, spoiled etc. Mom lets us do whatever the heck we want! Its so cool.

So! Tmrrw is the big day. I need instructions on how to do this. I do know pate is the way to go w added water. Does it have to b the expensive brands? Can it be friskies pate or is that terrible? What about mixing the pate with top quality kibble? and portions, we have to talk portions! Dont want to make them sick.

Also, do we introduce litter box tmrrw as well or can mom continue taking care of that? ughh I love it! No pee or poo is awesome! I still have them in an enclosed house. My husband wants to build an extension onto it for a little litter box so they dont roam free. does that sound like a good idea? Any advice is welcome.
Friskis paté is OK.  Minced meat is another classic.  Royal canin has a good kittble, this for mama and baby, perfect as their first kittble.

Begin with little, but if they want to eat, so they want.  Its difficult to get too much.

When they eat real food, their poo changes, and the mom isnt as fond of it.  So you must simultaneously introduce the litter.  Be sure its a non clumping litter, and the litter  basket itself is shallow, they they dont have any difficulties to come into it.

They shall now make more and more eager tryies to get out and begin to explore.  To their moms big anxiousness.   So this extension will help just a couple of days, not more... Kittensafe the room as well you can instead...   They are adventurous little discoverers!

mrandmrsroda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my husband said he would go higher if needed lol.

mrandmrsroda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Walmart school section has the project
board. It has worked incredible, and mom loves it. So cute how she pushes them back in when they try to climb out lol

bellad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ahh we did very similar for ours at around 3 weeks! We just got 4 big boxes and cut them down and taped them together it worked brilliantly. Mine have now graduated into having the whole living room as for the past 4/5 days they were able to jump out of the big play box lol kept finding them wandering around or snuggled up with our dog lol!