Milk Dried Up? Plus Possible Stuck Baby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so another update I guess. I took a video of what the kittens are doing. Momma cat is still producing milk and nursing. But kittens are losing weight and screaming like this. I just lost my job and seriously do not have the money for another vet trip right now. But if it's what I have to do then it's what I have to do. I'm just so lost :sniffle:

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay nevermind. Guess I cant upload the video no matter what I do.

Okay so another update I guess. I took a video of what the kittens are doing. Momma cat is still producing milk and nursing. But kittens are losing weight and screaming like this. I just lost my job and seriously do not have the money for another vet trip right now. But if it's what I have to do then it's what I have to do. I'm just so lost :sniffle:

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay nevermind. Guess I cant upload the video no matter what I do.
I feel like someone once said that you could upload it to dropbox and post a link for videos. I don't know for sure but I feel like I remember reading that somewhere

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I created an album called Clover & Kittens and uploaded the video to it. Hopefully someone is able to view it. Can someone let me know if they are able to find it?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Videos need to be uploaded to YouTube first, then post the link here.

I just know that what you describe is not normal. The kittens should not be losing weight, so they are either getting nothing from mom because she is sick, or they are not nursing because they are sick. So, either way, you need to see the vet right away. Ask for a payment plan.

In the meantime, you need to try to feed the babies as I suggested and based on the video’s example.

I’m sorry you are experiencing this.

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it's not normal. Its breaking my heart that Clover is having such a hard time being a mom. My grandpa let her outside while I wasn't home, and he missed her spay appointment. (I'll just go ahead and say it, my grandpa's a drunk and causes a TON of problems.) So I know I technically couldn't have prevented it but I feel horrible. I'm going to try to get her into the vet asap and hopefully figure this out. I think the root of all these issues stems from stress. Which is again mainly my grandpa's fault because of his alcoholism. But I'm trying my hardest to keep things peaceful for momma and babies. Wish me luck guys :frown:

Videos need to be uploaded to YouTube first, then post the link here.

I just know that what you describe is not normal. The kittens should not be losing weight, so they are either getting nothing from mom because she is sick, or they are not nursing because they are sick. So, either way, you need to see the vet right away. Ask for a payment plan.

In the meantime, you need to try to feed the babies as I suggested and based on the video’s example.

I’m sorry you are experiencing this.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know it’s not easy. Can you please try to feed the kittens? Thank you for everything.

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been every couple hours. They really don't want anything to do with the bottle. I burrito them and do as Kitten Lady does, but they still squirm and cry. I'll keep trying but so far they haven't started accepting it at all.

Can you please try to feed the kittens?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you using a syringe? As I said before, they will NOT take a bottle. You have to use a syringe, and you have to be patient.

If they are not eating from you or mom and still losing weight, they need a vet ASAP. They will not make it otherwise.

I saw the video and this is not normal. Please do not delay.

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I have used the syringe with a miracle nipple and they're still not into it. I'll keep trying. Hopefully they take to it, they have to be hungry.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
TAKE THE NIPPLE OFF since they refuse to suckle and use the syringe to push the milk into their mouth. They’ll learn.

Nipple on a syringe is like a bottle. They are not going to take it.

A ArcticKitty

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding the babies since my last post. They really didn't care for it but I got each one to eat a decent amount. Hoping to get into vet within the next couple days, and hoping the kittens will eventually accept the formula.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
:vibes:That all goes well.

Put a warm, damp compress a few times a day on mom’s mammaries in the meantime. It will help her feel better if she has mastitis. It won’t cure it though. It just gives relief from swelling and pain.

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update
Momma still looks terrible. But I've been supplementing the babies are they're eating more and more and gaining weight back slowly. Plus they're not crying nearly as much.

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Currently no I am not able to. My grandpa drank away most of our money and there aren't a lot of vets around here that take payment plans. I've been considering surrendering mom and babies to a rescue or someone that's able to take care of them properly. Its killing me not being able to help them myself :sniffle:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do call a no-kill rescue, but I think you should call around because mom clearly needs medical help. I’m concerned that day after day she is no better.

It’s possible that a shelter will treat them but allow you to sign up to foster them. That way they pay for medical care and food. Best of both worlds, and fosters are always needed.

How about calling around and asking? Tell them you’re happy to foster but the mama is sick and desperately needs medicine.

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update
After posting to another cat group, I decided to wait it out because most folks didn't think this was too big of an emergency. I continued supplementing the babies and making sure momma got higher quality food. I have noticed a HUGE difference since I started syringe feeding. Momma has more energy, is more loving, and is eating and drinking more. The babies dont scream anymore (unless they hear my voice, then they all start sqwaking and waddling over to me) but they've started gaining weight back and accepting the syringe more and more each time. They're even eating a bigger amount! Right now they've all got nice round bellies, and they're attempting to play fight (which is the cutest thing ever.) I'll keep monitoring them and syringe feeding. If things go downhill again then the vet or a rescue is my next step. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that though because most rescues around here are full up.