Milk Dried Up? Plus Possible Stuck Baby

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A stray we took in turned out to be pregnant. After a grueling nearly 11 weeks, plus nearly 8 hours of labor, she produced four healthy kittens. Shortly after she had the last kitten I could have sworn I saw/felt the movement of a 5th in her belly. Now today she still hasn't had a 5th kitten and I'm terrified for her and the possible remaining baby. On top of that I noticed she doesn't seem to have ANY milk anymore. She was definitely producing yesterday but now her breasts feel empty and nothing comes out if I squeeze her nips. The kittens seem to cry more than I feel like they should. I'm stuck at the moment. I've had cats and kittens, even bottle raised kittens before but never gone through the entire pregnancy with a cat. So I don't have much experience to work with. Her pregnancy and labor seemed so different from everything I read online. Please help!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When were the kittens born?

There may or may not be another kitten inside mom. If there is, she will deliver it when she is ready. Pauses of hours or days can occur. If not, you saw after pain contractions that are normal while mom’s uterus shrinks.

Do you have kitten formula on hand? The kittens need feeding by hand asap if mom does not have enough milk yet. The kittens nursing should bring the milk in, but it sounds like they need supplementing.

A ArcticKitty

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens were born early yesterday. Between 8am-11am. Momma cat has a bit of bloody discharge coming from her back end. She licks at it every so often just like she did before labor. And yes I've got formula and a ton of other supplies ready just in case. Should the mom constantly feel like she's got at least some milk left in her breasts? Because currently they feel totally empty.

When were the kittens born?

There may or may not be another kitten inside mom. If there is, she will deliver it when she is ready. Pauses of hours or days can occur. If not, you saw after pain contractions that are normal while mom’s uterus shrinks.

Do you have kitten formula on hand? The kittens need feeding by hand asap if mom does not have enough milk yet. The kittens nursing should bring the milk in, but it sounds like they need supplementing.

A ArcticKitty

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, there will be times when her mammaries seem flatter and other times fuller.

It’s normal for mom to spot blood for a week or so after delivering while her uterus heals. It should not be too much blood though, and it should turn pink, then brown and dry up completely. If she hemorrhages a lot of red blood she needs a vet.

Give mom a dish or two a day of KMR. She needs the extra calcium for nursing.

Both mom and kittens should settle in more in the next day or so, but the kittens should only cry when hungry and then sleep after nursing.

If they continue crying from hunger they may need supplementing. Do they nurse then settle down?

A ArcticKitty

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay I'll keep an eye on her. I started weighing the babies so ill know if they're gaining any weight. Thank you so much!

No, there will be times when her mammaries seem flatter and other times fuller.

It’s normal for mom to spot blood for a week or so after delivering while her uterus heals. It should not be too much blood though, and it should turn pink, then brown and dry up completely. If she hemorrhages a lot of red blood she needs a vet.

Give mom a dish or two a day of KMR. She needs the extra calcium for nursing.

Both mom and kittens should settle in more in the next day or so, but the kittens should only cry when hungry and then sleep after nursing.

If they continue crying from hunger they may need supplementing. Do they nurse then settle down?

A ArcticKitty

Bratcat31

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Momma cat has a bit of bloody discharge coming from her back end. She licks at it every so often just like she did before labor. And yes I've got formula and a ton of other supplies ready just in case. Should the mom constantly feel like she's got at least some milk left in her breasts? Because currently they feel totally empty.
This was my last momma EXACTLY. I could have SWORN she didn't have a drop of milk and her nipples were floppy and flat versus taught and pointy. They were difficult for the kittens to latch on to cause they would lie flat sideways gainst her skin.

Interestingly, she never did get milk in her back two teats (normally the fullest) and it took quite some time for the second to last two to get milk. But her front ones were apparently plenty and all but 1 of her living babies (we lost one quickly after birth) grew like absolute weeds including 1 of 2 preemies who was born at a mere 71g. I
had a couple even hit 2 lbs at 7 weeks which I personally havent had in my fostering before, and all but 1 hit 2 lbs by 8 weeks (The one that didn't was a preemie girl who is amazing now but needed a little help since she couldn't suck and swallow at the same time).

So, the milk was there and the babies sorted it out but I was CONVINCED she had zero milk and I was going to have to hand rear the lot of them. Weighing is a fabulous way to keep your mind at ease though. I doubt I would have slept otherwise with this last girl plus is helped me to know that my teeny tiny tabby needed help but the others were OK to let alone.

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update-
Still no fifth kitten. I really do believe she's got another in there too. I weighed the kittens and overnight they all lost weight. Is this normal or should I be concerned? She still doesn't appear to have much milk either and the kittens are pretty whiny. I attempted to give them formula but they weren't having it at all.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Losing weight is never good. You’ll need to supplement them. Usually once a kitten realizes it’s good stuff in the syringe they begin sucking readily from it. Do not expect them to take a bottle when they have a mother. Some will take a miracle nipple on the end of a syringe, but otherwise, you put the syringe in the side of their mouth with the kitten on its tummy and slowly give drops, giving them time to swallow and breathe in between.

Here’s Kitten Lady showing how:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

If mom has no milk, or not enough, it’s up to you to feed these kittens every 2 hours around the clock. Otherwise you may lose them.

A ArcticKitty

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thank you so much. That's what I was wondering, if I should supplement since they're already losing weight. And you answered that so thank you. Hopefully I can help momma get some weight put on them. She's got great motherly instincts, just clearly not enough milk.

Losing weight is never good. You’ll need to supplement them. Usually once a kitten realizes it’s good stuff in the syringe they begin sucking readily from it. Do not expect them to take a bottle when they have a mother. Some will take a miracle nipple on the end of a syringe, but otherwise, you put the syringe in the side of their mouth with the kitten on its tummy and slowly give drops, giving them time to swallow and breathe in between.

Here’s Kitten Lady showing how:

If mom has no milk, or not enough, it’s up to you to feed these kittens every 2 hours around the clock. Otherwise you may lose them.

A ArcticKitty

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update #2
Even worse news momma doesn't seem to have any interest in her babies anymore. She doesn't even look for them when they cry like she used to. She's not really checking on them or trying to feed them. Looks like I'll be bottle feeding for sure. But that's led to another problem. The little buggers don't want the formula. Do I just keep trying and hope they get it eventually?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you need to keep trying.

Wrap them in a towel with only their head out and get milk in them. Hold the head still gently. Just don’t force it to the point where they choke and inhale the milk into their lungs.

If you feel you can’t do this you need to call a rescue to foster them.

It sounds like mom needs a vet check. Her behavior is not normal. Take her and kittens both to the vet. The vet assistants can help show you how to feed. Sounds like mom is not well.

Is there anyone to help you tonight? These kittens will begin to dehydrate and die soon.

A ArcticKitty

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I may be posting a bit too quickly in my panic. I've never gone through this with a cat before so every little thing is worrying me. She's back to her kittens, feeding them and acting as usual. I believe her odd behavior may have been because she was TRYING to get that last kitten out. Regardless I'll be making a vet appointment tomorrow for both her and the babies. Fingers crossed everyone survives and is happy and healthy.

Yes, you need to keep trying.

Wrap them in a towel with only their head out and get milk in them. Hold the head still gently. Just don’t force it to the point where they choke and inhale the milk into their lungs.

If you feel you can’t do this you need to call a rescue to foster them.

It sounds like mom needs a vet check. Her behavior is not normal. Take her and kittens both to the vet. The vet assistants can help show you how to feed.

Is there anyone to help you tonight? These kittens will begin to dehydrate and die soon.

A ArcticKitty

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The vet will be able to determine if there is still a kitten inside. If so, he can give her oxytocin to bring on contractions to deliver it.

Call first thing in the morning and ask to come in right away!

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update-
We are back home from the vet with wonderful news! Momma and kittens are mostly fine! No more kittens in the womb. Basically momma was just full of crap literally! She had a slight fever too but other than that no problems. Kittens are healthy and eating as well. I was given an antibiotic, probiotics, and some special food to help her gain some weight and get extra calories. Thank everyone for your support, advice, and help through this tough time. I was terrified we would lose momma and babies but this was thankfully a happy ending!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Such good news! Did the vet have any idea what is causing her fever? Has she since been able to poop?

Also, are the kittens gaining weight?

A ArcticKitty

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They thought maybe there had been a slight infection in her uterus because it looked a little odd on the xray they took. But they told me it's not too serious and the meds should help. I haven't noticed her poop yet but I'll be keeping an eye on her. And yes kittens are slowly gaining weight. Turns out she IS producing from all but two nips at the moment. So they should be eating relatively well. I'll be weighing them a couple times a day to make sure they're gaining weight still.

Such good news! Did the vet have any idea what is causing her fever? Has she since been able to poop?

Also, are the kittens gaining weight?

A ArcticKitty

ArcticKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update

Hey again guys. I'm at my witts end right now. It's been problem after problem with the mom cat and kittens ever since the vet. For awhile mom fed babies and babies gained weight wonderfully. But now all of a sudden at 2 weeks old the babies are losing weight again?? Its been two days now and they've all lost 20+ grams each. Mom has milk and tries to feed them so I dont get it?? Also the babies are trying nonstop to escape their nest and SCREAMING constantly. I tried bottle feeding but the babies seriously want nothing to do with it. I dont know what to do please help

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom may have mastitis. You need to get her checked right away. If the kittens have lost this much weight they are NOT getting milk from mom. Mom probably needs an antibiotic.

Therefore the kittens are frantic because they are starving. They will NOT take a bottle after nursing mom. They must be fed with a needleless syringe. You’ll need to wrap them in a towel with only their head out, and gently feed in the side of the mouth slowly at first to allow them to swallow and breathe. Once they realize it’s good stuff they should begin sucking it down more quickly and heartily, and lots of it every 2-3 hours around the clock. It may take a feeding or two for you and them to catch on, but they will, and they must, in order to survive.

Here is a helpful video:

Get busy and make this happen, and get mom AND babies to the vet immediately. This situation is a crisis!

Please keep us posted!

A ArcticKitty