Mild asthma treatment

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Columbine. I didnt think of a scrambled egg..she might like that. I know she wont eat chicken. Im waiting nervously here, hoping shell get better very quickly. Shes sitting hunched over. Obviously her tummy is not feeling well at all.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor little girl. I hate it when one of mine is sick - it can leave you feeling so helpless.

Hopefully the pepcid will kick in soon :vibes: :cross:

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When you say a scrambled egg..do you a mean a cooked scrambled egg? (Versus raw)

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well..just one more foamy vomit, but very little of it and its been a couple hours. Just tried feeding her three different things but she is refusing to eat now. Im thinking if she wont eat by bedtime and vomiting stops, I do have appetite stimulates. It has been one long and crummy day.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor little girl :( If she's no better by morning I might want to be calling the vet again. If she's vomiting still I'd be VERY wary of appetite stimulants - she's probably refusing food because she knows her tummy isn't right :sigh:

Mega :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Vomiting seems to have stopped. Its been 20 hours since she eaten which is now my concern. :( My vet isnt in tomorrow either.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah - that's a big worry :( I just wouldn't want to stimulate her appetite only for her to vomit again :sigh:

I'm only saying what I might do in theory. You can see her and know her well - ultimately, all you can do is trust your instincts :hugs:

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just vomited a pinkish color-blood? With what looks like a coyple splotches of blood

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh im so stressed right now. I just called again..hes recommending withholding food and water still and waiting until the morning. He said because shes been vomiting so much it will cause blood. Obviously, Im extra concerned because shes old and already being treated for everything else...and has inflammed lungs. Just not sure what to do. My own vet has no emergency line, hes familiar with her.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: Try to stay calm. I know it's hard, but freaking out won't help anything.

Did you make her other health issues (and her age) really clear to the vet you spoke to? If not, I'd call again just to clarify it all. I know how easy it is to miss something when there are multiple conditions/illnesses at work. Don't be afraid to pester the vet if you're not happy with the response. Maybe make a list of the points you need to get across before calling - it can make a huge difference when you're stressed.

Isn't there any way you can get a vet to physically see her tonight?

Was it a lot of blood or just a couple of spots?

It is perfectly possible that all the bile from vomiting has irritated her oesophagus/back of her throat, and that's where the blood has come from. If that's the case then, while its obviously not a good sign, it's not too major. Once the vomiting stops her oesophagus/throat will heal.

If it's more than a couple of spots then it's FAR more worrying.

Last edited:

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thinking i should take away water too, like they said...shell have nothing to vomit at least. Just thinking aloud here...

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry..just saw your response. Shes been kaying wirh me and besides all this, is actually acting fine. When I brought out the food for tge others, she ran. Clearly, doesnt want to eat. So worried though because by tge time any vet is open tomorrow..itll be a day and a half since eating.

What she vomited was clear liquid with a pink hue, and about 2-3 spots (about the size of a pencil eraser) of blood. So Im no vet but Im thinking its not a lot, even with the all-over pink color, since blood spreads. I just put up the water.. so everyones off of it...at this point, Im thinking 12 hours without water hopefully wont hurt too bad.
I brought up her other health issues...he didnt seem bothered by it with either phone call, just said to bring her in somewhere first thing in the AM. I think I annoyed him a bit. The clinic is a good 30-35 min away and they do not take apppintments...when Ive been there in the past, there have been up to 20 people in the waiting room. Part of my concern with taking her there is that its very stressful for her...and tends to lead to accidents and such...afraid itll just cause more vomiting and not sure theyll do anything beyond what the regular vet did last week. (Xray, meds)

She vomited once, with blood, when the cough was bad about a month ago. With the lung inflammation, of course, blood might be from there.
I know Im rambling but I hate that my vet wont be in tomorrow so any xrays will need redone and well be stuck with a vet not familiar with her. And Im really just fearing for what all this means...if she was diagnosed wrong with asthma /possible pneumonia...

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have an emergency vet in your area?  If so, I'd get her there.  I'm concerned that she's stopped eating and not interested in eating.  I would ask for an x-ray to rule out any blockages or things like that.

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No vomiting at all today and woke up hungry and extra perky! She looked like her stomach was a bit upset after her first meal today but gave her another bit of pepcid and it worked like a charm. I even put her back on her regular meds this afternoon.
Still wondering what caused it...and if itll comee back but the vet is back in tomorrow (was out today) so waiting to see what he says.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sometimes cats, like people, just don't feel well.  There are times when my hubby and I will eat the very same thing, and I will spend the evening throwing up and he'll be just fine.  Go figure
,    Maybe she ate a bug or something, and it disagreed with her.  It's possible you will never know.  But them most important this is that she is better now
  Whew.  Whoever said pets are good for our OWN health obviously never had a sick pet