Mild asthma treatment

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all.

My senior female, Missy, has mild asthma, or so it is thought. An episode tends to occur at night, when she is calm, but suddenly gets up and pushes her head down, coughing and gurgling, and putting her whole body into it. No mucous comes out if her mouth but it can be heard in her throat. This single episode lasts maybe 30 seconds to one minute but has been occuring between 1-3 times each evening. I imagine it happens diring the day some as well but I am working.

My vet initially didnt think it was asthma and prescribed Clavamox, in case it was a hairball issue. (I told him it looked like she was going to pass a hairball but never does.) Clavamox did nothing and so he said it might be mild asthma but doesnt sound like she needs any treatment. He recommend not using aerosol products around the house, so I dont.
However, I am still concerned. Ahe has had these episodes for years but they used to be very occasionally....maybe once a week or less. Now they are daily she is between 13-16 years old. Im not sure if this really SHOULD be treated or not and if she has moved into having moderate asthma, rather than mild. She is very healthy other than this.
What is your experience? Do you treat it?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It really sounds like she needs treatment to me. The most effective treatment for asthma is inhalers used with an AeroKat chamber.

If it was me, I'd go back to the vet and explain the current situation. She really does need meds now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. She does not have open-mouth breath breathing and does not get winded from exercise....my vet says these are the two signs of needing treatment. She tends to be at rest right before having problems. With her age though, she also tends to be more low key these days. Im thinking of seeing a new vet and getting second opinions on a couple of things.

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do your cats have the same symptoms? Do your treatments help?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a cat who developed asthma as a complication of congestive heart failure. The AeroKat/inhaler treatment instantly helped, and gave him an extra few months of good quality life.

When you see your vet make sure they check your girl's heart/lungs. Laboured breathing from rest is sometimes due to fluid bill up on the lungs. One of the most common causes of this is the heart working less well than it used to - which wouldn't be all the surprising given her age. I'm not trying to scare you - its just something to ask the vet when you see him/her.

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Her heart is in good shape, I do know that.

I did notice a tiny lump, smaller than a pencil erased, under her skin, whi h I am now freaked put about. My dog has one on her ear too but I forgot to bring it up during her annual. I hate being the anxious, worried type.

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shr had NO episodes all weekend. It cooled down a lot over the weekend and I am wondering if its related.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would still have an x-ray done to check the heart out, my 14 year old developed an enlarged heart and coughed like that.  A regular x-ray is very inexpensive. He's on 1/2 of a Lasix tablet daily that I cement to a treat with a tiny piece of pill pocket. He very rarely coughs now. I wish you the best. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would still have an x-ray done to check the heart out, my 14 year old developed an enlarged heart and coughed like that.  A regular x-ray is very inexpensive. He's on 1/2 of a Lasix tablet daily that I cement to a treat with a tiny piece of pill pocket. He very rarely coughs now. I wish you the best. 
:yeah:

I'm glad she's had a better weekend though :)

I wouldn't worry about tiny lumps - just keep an eye on it in case it grows/changes. My dog has developed tons of skin tags and benign cysts as he's got older and they're totally harmless.

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You dont feel the lumps need che ked? Im worried about it. My guinea pig had a small lump that grew and grew..it was cancerous and killed him. Even after removing it once, it grew right back.

Its been a hard month. My other cat had to go back to the vet yesterday for cystitis so my gifl with asthma has been put to the side for a bit-which I hate. Ever since I lost my husband, my budget plummeted while my psts are all getting up there in age. I feel like a horrible pet parent because I am really starting to not know what to do. My cystitis kitty costs a fortune, or at least for me, its a fortune. An ean xray for my females heart is $75.
I just hate it. I feel like I am running straight into the ground here.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are the lumps like exactly? The main checkpoint my vet gave me is that if the lump is mobile (only skin deep) then it's probably nothing to worry about, but if it seems to be anchored to the main body (muscle etc) then it's worth getting it looked at.

Does that help at all?

:hugs: I'm sorry you're having such a rough time at the moment. You're NOT a bad parent at all - we can only do what we can. It might be worth looking into Care Credit or something similar if things are tough right now.

Also, your vet should be able to pick up a certain amount of information about your asthma kitty's heart just from listening to heart and chest with a stethoscope and checking her pulse. That might help decide whether or not to xray. We decided on a treatment plan for my chf animals based on that information - there was enough there to tell us what treatment was needed.

Last edited:

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think so. This one is bery small, under the skin, and along her ribs. Ill feel it again tonight but from what you are saying, I think its mobile then. She doesnt like me touching it but she generally doesnt like touched there anyways. The one on my dog is on the inside of her ear...at forst, I thought it was a mosquito bite...it feels just like it.

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
*very small, not bery

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I should mention that my cats' lump is harder feeling, and smaller than a pencil eraser. (Half the size of an eraser, but round)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hard, small and mobile is most likely ok. You can always ask your vet to have a feel at the next appointment - that won't cost any extra ;)

Check my earlier post again - edited it as I hit reply too soon :doh3:

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks.

He did listen to her and thats when he said he thought its just mild asthma and that her heart spunded fine. He said he thpught she might have a little abdonimal sweeling but wasnt sure amd that of she seemed more swelled, to bring her in. Beyond that, he recommendes not using aerosols amd that was about it with the asthma. I have a canxle that is vegan amd burns "clean," I am swonderimg of thats ok to uss with her still?

Do you happen to have an opinion on my dogs litle mosquito-bite'ish lump?

My female kitty, Missy, just wemt in a couple months ago for my concerns with her coughing. I jate forgetting to ask about something because if I bring her in just for the lump, itll be another $35 dollars. Im not trying to put dowm veys but sometimes I think its outrageous how they charge for things. Yesterday, he didnt even examine my cystitis cat at all...literally, not at all. He stayed in his carrier. He just gave me Baytril but charged for an exam...so I paid $79, essentially, for Baytril.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just want to make it clear that I'm not a vet ;)

Could your dog have a mosquito bite? If that's what it looks like, that might be all it is.

My approach with lumps is to keep a close watch on them. If they start changing/growing I get them checked. If the stay the same/shrink then I don't worry about them.

Candles are probably fine. I'd avoid anything smokey or strong smelling (eg incense) though. Be careful about using aerosols around her (ie in the same room) too.

I'm more than a little shocked at your vet not even giving Missy an exam before prescribing. IMO, that should never happen. You might want to think about seeking a second opinion for your asthmatic cat - if you explain your financial situation they might be willing to treat without xrays. Could be worth a try.

Don't worry at all about being an over anxious mom - I think we all are when it comes to our own pets.

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its not a mosquito bite...despite the many mosquitos roaming my yard this year!

That vet actually was my second opinion, unfortunatly.

Im going to try taking some time to consider what to do next and keep tracking Missy's ashmatic symptoms while my cystitis kitty heals up. So far her symptoms are looking more and more related to weather. Its been a few days since any issues but now its warming up agsin and laxt night, she started coughing.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm coming in on this conversation a little late but wanted to add that with coughing it may be worth switching kitty litters, particularly if you're using something especially dusty and perfumed, as we were with Fresh Step.

One of our cats had several brief asthma-like coughing episodes shortly after we adopted her but they stopped after we switched to Dr. Elsey's Respiratory Relief. Respiratory Relief may be the most expensive litter on the planet but it's certainly a bargain compared to medications! It's great litter: beyond the cat not coughing for a year and a half, I love that it doesn't send perfumed dust everywhere.

I might also try avoiding all scented candles, if only for a short time, to see if that helps: cats' systems can be so sensitive!

Good luck, particularly given that it sounds like you're (rightfully!) not feeling much confidence in your vets. That always makes these situations especially difficult.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its not a mosquito bite...despite the many mosquitos roaming my yard this year!

That vet actually was my second opinion, unfortunatly.

Im going to try taking some time to consider what to do next and keep tracking Missy's ashmatic symptoms while my cystitis kitty heals up. So far her symptoms are looking more and more related to weather. Its been a few days since any issues but now its warming up agsin and laxt night, she started coughing.
Damn about that being your second opinion :( I'm not surprised that she's worse in the heat though - that's pretty common for asthma.

If the lump isn't bothering your dig at the moment I might be inclined to just keep a close eye on it for now. Ears are so easily knocked (especially if they're floppy) - it could even be something as simple as she scratched a little too vigorously and caused the lump herself. If it IS something sinister I'd think you'll see changes pretty quickly.

Sorry I can't be more help.