Mild asthma treatment

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive been looking that litter up but I am still unsure of what its made of...is it clay? Is it dusty...does it clump well?

Thanks!
Yes, it's clay, and we find the dust pretty minimal, though I've seen some complaints that it's been dustier lately due to some sort of production issue. I think it clumps pretty well, especially when the box is pretty full. The clumps can be pretty solid! What I like best about it is that it's not perfumed and doesn't leave residue all around, as Fresh Step did. Dr. E's has worked out really well for the humans and cats in our household.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, LisaHE. That was FAST!

I noticed right away that the Target brand unscented clay smells horrible...smells like dust now in the whole room. Ive never been so repulsed by a litter. Does Dr. Elsets have a particular scent, despite being unscented?

I am also considering trying Carefresh. I used that for my guinea pigs, before I had switched them to fleece. I remember that it didnt clump but was very easy to spot clean and then add a bit more litter, if needed. Any experience with using it for cats?

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, LisaHE. That was FAST!

I noticed right away that the Target brand unscented clay smells horrible...smells like dust now in the whole room. Ive never been so repulsed by a litter. Does Dr. Elsets have a particular scent, despite being unscented?

I am also considering trying Carefresh. I used that for my guinea pigs, before I had switched them to fleece. I remember that it didnt clump but was very easy to spot clean and then add a bit more litter, if needed. Any experience with using it for cats?
I do most of my e-mailing and forum posting in the mornings so am often very fast at this time of day!

Neither I nor my husband notices any scent from Dr. E's litter, either from the litter itself or from the cat. It's not like Fresh Step, where if the cat came over we could smell the Fresh Step perfume on her paws.

I've never used Carefresh. I think about all I've ever used in recent years is Fresh Step, clay and crystals. The crystals were okay, though I found them a bit odd for the urine. The crystals would seem fine but then one day they'd get much heavier and smellier and need to be emptied completely. I felt like I never quite got the knack of them!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that Missy's worse. The lack of appetite doesn't surprise me - I suspect that she simply doesn't have enough breath to eat :( She may well find it easier if you hand feed her, bringing each bite up to her mouth so she can stay in the most comfortable breathing position while eating.

The trick with liquid meds is to go slowly, and aim towards the roof of her mouth, or to one side, so you don't choke her. I used to go 1/2-1ml, wait for a swallow, then give a little more etc. It makes such a difference doing it like that.

It can also help to wait until she's asleep - then you can get in position holding her gently but firmly before she can argue. I used to use my body to stop Cali reversing away from me, my left hand on his chest to restrain forward/sideways movement, and my right hand to do the syringing. Hope that makes sense.

In my experience, sounding 'crackly' is indicative of fluid on the lungs. A diuretic is what I've been given to administer in these circumstances. I'm NOT a vet, rather am just wondering whether its a conversation you should have with your vet.

I also think that the AeroKat with an inhaler bronchodialator (or even bronchodialator and steroid) would be more effective than the oral meds. That's always been my experience, so it's well worth discussing with your vet.

I really hope Missy improves soon
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your help everyone.

The vet says the Panacur (liquid med) can wait, if needed. It was more of a precaution in case of lung parasites which can cause these issues. (Because there's no certainty that its asthma) but her other meds should treat for asthma and pneumonia. One of her pulls is actually a bronchodialator...I asked about the Aerokat...he said it would need to be ordered (thwy dont carry it) and he said cats generally dont do well with it because they hate it.

The good news is she suddenlt decided she,was hungry this afternnon and ate two good meals. And..the vents are nice and new...and no coughing during the night last night. Im hoping this means the meds are kicking in and working! Time will tell.As for the lung, he said it could take a few weeks or months to see if it will heal.Meanwhile, I am exhausted!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's great to hear that Missy's found her appetite again. I really hope it lasts :cross:

With the AeroKat - ok, cats don't like it initially, but can be pretty quick to accept it - because the bronchodialator given that way brings almost immediate relief, the cat soon learns that the AeroKat makes them feel better. This makes a MASSIVE difference to how they react to it.

I had to use it on my old, steadfastly medication resistant, chf boy. He HATED it at first, but the difference it made was incredible. After about a week, he'd come and find me if I was late with his AeroKat, and wouldn't leave me alone until he'd had his treatment!

I think one reason some vets are hesitant to use it is the initial cost - in the UK the AeroKat unit costs around £100, and that's before you add in any meds (which, again, some vets won't carry as standard - they're the exact same inhalers as humans use, and often have to be ordered from a regular human pharmacy).

I'm not pushing this treatment option - just trying to give the other side of the story ;)

There are lots of videos about how to use an AeroKat on YouTube - might be worth looking at so you can see how it works.

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Zero coughing since Friday and a great appetite! She has perked back up as well. Im feeling hopeful!

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a fantastic update! So happy to hear things have taken a turn for the better! :)

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I know its early still to know tge outcome but it has been a big relief! She goes in for another xray to check her lungs in a week from tomorrow.

Thank you for all your help and support along the way! I really appreciate it.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
You are very welcome! My pleasure :)

The fact that she's eating and not vomiting is a great reason to be hopeful! Big hugs to you and your kitty :hugs:

Vibes for continued healing and a clear chest X-ray next week. :vibes:

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Columbine, and for your help as well! This thread has been very helpful. Will keep you all updated after the next xray.

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update:

I took my girl back for a checkup and xray. She has had zero coughing for about 10 days, which is great. I expected better xray results tho..one lung is still pretty beat up and not much improvement...a lot of inflammmation still. The other has improved. Shes on another full two weeks of Baytril, more pred, and more of the bronchodilator. Her pred has been reduced though from daily to just three days a week and reducing the bronchodialtor from 2x per day to once a day....so hopefully no issues will arise.

Vet says it was/is likely asthma and an infection. He says another xray and check up isnt needed for a couple months.

So...theres improvement for sure..just hoped for more!

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She has been throwing up since about 4am..including her breakfast. No vet is open. What do i do?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most vets have an emergency line. If you call they should have it listed on their message. Have you tried that?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She needs a vet urgently. Vomiting like that doesn't sound good :(

Are there any emergency vets you can get to? Even a phone consult might help assess the situation.

Mega :vibes: that she's better soon.

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Talked to a vet on phone. They said to take away food, water, and asthma meds and guve 1/4 tab pepcid. She is starving...sitting her begging for food. Hoping shell keep the pepcid down.Vomitimg has slowed at least...vomited twice in about the past three hours... more of a bile.

Im not sure how long to withhold food..vet said she wasnt sure. She hasnt eaten since abput 10pm last night, besides the breakfast she vomited up. Im still giving her water as I refuse to withhold water.

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both ER vet and the one i called are far away. ER vet refuses to give any info away on phone. This vet said vomiting is usually fine if I wait until tomorrow for my regular vet.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Give it at least a couple of hours, then you could try a LITTLE bit of something very light - maybe a little plain cooked chicken or scrambled egg. I know she'll be starving hungry, but you don't want to overly tax her digestion after all the vomiting.

Watch her body language though - of she's showing any signs of nausea (lip licking etc) don't offer any food.

I really hope the pepcid does the trick :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: