Meniadone (vitamin K3)

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dilemma: I have been trying to wean my cats off of dry food which I have been giving them along with wet. After trying so many different brands and recipes, I was so happy to find something my cats actually loved! Purina Beyond (Turkey, Sweet Potato and Spinach) which seemed to be pretty healthy recipe. Unfortunately, Purina has just added (in February) a controversial ingredient into this variety, meniadone, It seems that this artificial form of Vitamin K (K3), banned in human food, is bad in high amounts or over time in lesser amounts. I really wish they weren't begging for this food. This stuff must be mouse flavored! Nothing else will compare. I'm throwing away all sorts of expensive food every day since they only eat it reluctantly and leave most of it. It's really a shame since this is supposed to be Purina's natural line, and Vitamin K according to my research is only required in foods that are more than 25% fish. I have cases of this food! I am thinking of feeding it to them maybe one can each a week or mixing it with other food not to exceed a can each a week. What would you do?
Received letter from tiki cats Thank you for reaching out to us! As fellow pet parents we can definitely understand your concern. Our formulas meet the nutritional standards established by National Research Council and AAFCO to ensure a diet has all known required nutrients in the proper amounts and proportions based on a cat’s life stage. Supplementation of Vitamin K is necessary when you don’t have natural sources to meet the vitamin K requirement. Primarily fish-based diets may require supplementation of Menadione (Source of Vitamin K). Menadione is approved by the FDA, G.R.A.S (generally regarded as Safe) and an AAFCO approved ingredient. Vitamin K is absolutely necessary in cat foods. With that said, we listened to consumer feedback and tested all of our Tiki formulas to see if removing the vitamin K supplement was possible. We have confirmed a select range of Tiki formulas meet the required level of vitamin K without supplementation so you will see it being removed from the formula and ingredient panel of these diets in the coming months. This included the majority of our chicken based diets. Please let us know if you have any other questions!