Meniadone (vitamin K3)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I am new here, can you tell me about "purraise"? Is it like "like" on Facebook? Is it to acknowledge having read the post?
Yes, it's like "like" on Facebook. Just click it on someone's post to like that post. (I clicked because I like that you asked!)

I don't particularly like menadione as an ingredient because I'm just not sure about it... but I do feed it, in a weekly can of Fancy Feast and, occasionally, some sort of variety meal or other. There are lots of ingredients I try to limit: agar-agar and carrageenan are only very occasional, and I keep fish at a small can split between two cats every week or two. We feed more raw and homecooked food than canned so that helps BPA keep the BPA lower. Unfortunately, there's a lot to keep track of with cat food!

And thank you, by the way, for mentioning the Nutro cans. I didn't realize they have BPA, though, like @duckpond, I'm not sure the alternatives are much better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joan's Kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's like "like" on Facebook. Just click it on someone's post to like that post. (I clicked because I like that you asked!)

I don't particularly like menadione as an ingredient because I'm just not sure about it... but I do feed it, in a weekly can of Fancy Feast and, occasionally, some sort of variety meal or other. There are lots of ingredients I try to limit: agar-agar and carrageenan are only very occasional, and I keep fish at a small can split between two cats every week or two. We feed more raw and homecooked food than canned so that helps BPA keep the BPA lower. Unfortunately, there's a lot to keep track of with cat food!

And thank you, by the way, for mentioning the Nutro cans. I didn't realize they have BPA, though, like @duckpond, I'm not sure the alternatives are much better.
I like the idea of home-cooked food. Maybe I'll try again sometime. I would love to see a business start a chain of Kitty Take Out, like a fast food restaurant, only healthy recipes! Or even better, delivered to your door on subscription! Amazon?? Are you up for it?

Last edited by a moderator:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the idea of home-cooked food. Maybe I'll try again sometime. I would love to see a business start a chain of Kitty Take Out, like a fast food restaurant, only healthy recipes! Or even better, delivered to your door on subscription! Amazon?? Are you up for it?
Ha ha, I'm envisioning the cat food version of Blue Apron or something! Seriously, though, the cats love EZ Complete.

Joan's Kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ha ha, I'm envisioning the cat food version of Blue Apron or something! Seriously, though, the cats love EZ Complete.
I never heard of EZ Complete and will look into it! Thanks!

Joan's Kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does this product enhance the taste of food? Mine wouldn't even eat beef on its own.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just to add, I am doing this exact process of trying to find foods that are without K3. However, I'm also making it impossible because I want it to be grain-free and high in protein. :lol2:

I am still feeding Fancy Feast because it's easier on my wallet and my girl will eat it. However, I'm also feeding Nutro and Nulo. Nulo is high in protein but it's expensive.

At this point, I'm just trying to keep my cat happy and feeding as little of K3 as I can. :dunno:

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It has been done. Literally everything in the world is available for you, if you can afford it:
NomNomNow for Cats

homemade dog food, home made dog food, homemade cat food, pet food: Chow Bella Whole Foods for Pets

Smalls: Real Food for Cats

I'm not vouching for any of those companies, just saying, it's available!
Thank you for sharing these links. My cat is in the 'i dont want wet food' phase. So its mostly kibble and hartz stews/bisques for him.
I just ordered from Smalls- I will update once I start feeding their food to my cat.

Kristi01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dilemma: I have been trying to wean my cats off of dry food which I have been giving them along with wet. After trying so many different brands and recipes, I was so happy to find something my cats actually loved! Purina Beyond (Turkey, Sweet Potato and Spinach) which seemed to be pretty healthy recipe. Unfortunately, Purina has just added (in February) a controversial ingredient into this variety, meniadone, It seems that this artificial form of Vitamin K (K3), banned in human food, is bad in high amounts or over time in lesser amounts. I really wish they weren't begging for this food. This stuff must be mouse flavored! Nothing else will compare. I'm throwing away all sorts of expensive food every day since they only eat it reluctantly and leave most of it. It's really a shame since this is supposed to be Purina's natural line, and Vitamin K according to my research is only required in foods that are more than 25% fish. I have cases of this food! I am thinking of feeding it to them maybe one can each a week or mixing it with other food not to exceed a can each a week. What would you do?
Most of the poet foods unfortunately have methadone. I think moderation is key

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most of the poet foods unfortunately have methadone. I think moderation is key
It is probably mandated because cats need to get their Vit K from somewhere.
And i think you meant menadoine, not methadone :flail:

Joan's Kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nothing new under the sun! I'll look into these!

Joan's Kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Menadione (K3) is the controversial ingredient. Purina just put it in their Beyond turkey recipe, when other companies are taking it out of theirs. Apparently, it is not mandated unless a food has a high percentage of fish. The Beyond turkey, sweet potato and spinach does not contain any fish.

Joan's Kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to add, I am doing this exact process of trying to find foods that are without K3. However, I'm also making it impossible because I want it to be grain-free and high in protein. :lol2:

I am still feeding Fancy Feast because it's easier on my wallet and my girl will eat it. However, I'm also feeding Nutro and Nulo. Nulo is high in protein but it's expensive.

At this point, I'm just trying to keep my cat happy and feeding as little of K3 as I can. :dunno: