Meniadone (vitamin K3)

Joan's Kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dilemma: I have been trying to wean my cats off of dry food which I have been giving them along with wet. After trying so many different brands and recipes, I was so happy to find something my cats actually loved! Purina Beyond (Turkey, Sweet Potato and Spinach) which seemed to be pretty healthy recipe. Unfortunately, Purina has just added (in February) a controversial ingredient into this variety, meniadone, It seems that this artificial form of Vitamin K (K3), banned in human food, is bad in high amounts or over time in lesser amounts. I really wish they weren't begging for this food. This stuff must be mouse flavored! Nothing else will compare. I'm throwing away all sorts of expensive food every day since they only eat it reluctantly and leave most of it. It's really a shame since this is supposed to be Purina's natural line, and Vitamin K according to my research is only required in foods that are more than 25% fish. I have cases of this food! I am thinking of feeding it to them maybe one can each a week or mixing it with other food not to exceed a can each a week. What would you do?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am in a similar boat except my guys are poultry sensitive and many of the foods that are non poultry and they will eat has it. I've been trying to slowly decreased the amount of the "bad" (for easy identification) food and increase the good. It's a very slow process because my girl seems addicted to those foods. So far it's been six months and we are at 1 of the bad for 3 good. Someday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joan's Kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's an added challenge, being poultry sensitive. 3:1 is not bad!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are too many things in cat food that i try to stay away from to mention. So far i have not found the perfect food. And if i did my guys most likely would not eat it.:running:

I have a list of things i try to stay away from meniadone, Carrageenan, and all gums or thickeners, seed and nut oils, coconut oil, spinach, most fruits, veggies and grains, peas, potatoes, artificial colors and flavors. the list can go on and on.

I have a very hard time trying to find foods without at least one or two of these things in it, so i do the best i can to pick foods with as few of these as possible. And if food A has some of these, i try to make sure food B does not, that it least has different things i dont like, so they dont get the same thing each and every meal. One reason i have a lot of different wet foods in my rotation.

But the best of plans and all that, :oops: right now mine will eat tiki cat, caru, and almo nature, and nutro minced chicken or sliced turkey. so my big rotation is not working well. Cats! sometimes the best food is what they will eat, and try to get some variety in there.

Joan's Kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your comments! Just FYI, I emailed Nutro regarding BPA in their cans, and they responded that their cans do contain BPA. As you say, if there were a perfect food, they probably wouldn't eat it! I tried cooking for my two, quality beef no less, and they sniffed and walked away. I also discovered a site called Clean Label Project which rates pet food for contaminants, heavy metals and other things. I don't know how accurate the ratings are or if they even change with recipe changes or samples, but it seems the food with the most questionable ingredients rates the best. Go figure! I think, though, that rotating foods as you do makes sense.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh yes, forgot BPA in my list. so many things to watch for, and so many are hard to avoid! I try to keep them on a rotation. i keep out clean filtered water, and i do feed Dr. Elseys chicken kibble as well. I like the wet for the moisture, but honestly i like the dry as well for some of the things it does not contain. sometimes it feels like dang if you do and dang if you dont. :runaround:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I would do exactly as you described at the end of your first post.
I have a cat that won't allow me to eliminate Purina, I tried but he refuses to eat.
I also developed a rotational menu after revising the brands I was trying to get him to eat, but the fancy feast --and friskies now and then, had to stay.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
something else i have read regarding BPA and cat food. Its scary out there!

Researchers have previously warned that products advertised as BPA-free aren’t necessarily any better. Hard plastics and canned food liners, even those not made with BPA, often contain bisphenols or other endocrine-disrupting chemicals.

Joan's Kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the additional comments! It's great to find a forum to get opinions from others so we can benefit from one another's experiences. I like the wet food for moisture especially because my two are not water drinkers. I tried 3 water fountains and they don't go anywhere near them.

Joan's Kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
something else i have read regarding BPA and cat food. Its scary out there!

Researchers have previously warned that products advertised as BPA-free aren’t necessarily any better. Hard plastics and canned food liners, even those not made with BPA, often contain bisphenols or other endocrine-disrupting chemicals.
This is disturbing. But there's only so much we can do based on what we know. I include packaged pouches for this reason.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cats are so odd, and individual in their preferences. i have one that drinks out of bowls and water fountains, 1 that will only drink out of the fountains, and 2 that i only see drink out of their bowls, never the fountains. :headscratch: so i keep several bowls and fountains around the house. mine all seem to drink, just varying degrees, and in different areas. 3 of mine eat more wet than dry, 1 she will eat a little wet these days, but mostly dry for her.

Joan's Kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine will drink water (filtered) only when I have given them more dry food than wet. Now that I am trying to give them mostly wet food, I notice almost no water missing from the bowl. Once of them likes to play with the water, and sometimes lies down in front of the bowl, dips her paw in it and licks her paw. Talk about odd! lol

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About the water, are you filtering it?
I always do. our refrigerator has filtered water, our city water has so much chlorine its a necessity. thats what i drink and what i give my cats. they like it filtered and cold...lol :purr:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol, cute video. my white girl does that with her leg, on the side of a bowl sometimes. I have never seen her get down quite like that :flail:

Joan's Kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always do. our refrigerator has filtered water, our city water has so much chlorine its a necessity. thats what i drink and what i give my cats. they like it filtered and cold...lol :purr:
That's good! Water is so good for them!

Joan's Kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Funny, on rare occasions she drinks water, she does it as in the video. When she drinks gravy, she drinks like a normal cat. Crazy cat!

Joan's Kitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since I am new here, can you tell me about "purraise"? Is it like "like" on Facebook? Is it to acknowledge having read the post?