Purraise
Sorry that $263 was a spay for one.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I told Hubbs that I wanted to keep both because its too hard to choose!  

If I kept 2 would it be better to spay the female first and then neuter the male or should they be done at the same time?
Do both at once.  That's the best way.  Also, check with your vet.  Some offer "litter specials," and you might be able to spay/neuter the whole group for little more than the cvost of two, making finding homes SO much easier!

Now, for my money, if you have to choose just one, I'm awfully partial to calicos, like your girl, and torties, like mine.  But...to each his own!  And any cat is better than no cat at all!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So much fun to watch the cuties play! [emoji]128522[/emoji][emoji]128149[/emoji]

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

britw120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to have a long haired kitten in a litter of short haired kittens? The darker calico (we call her fluffy) is way fluffier than the other kittens

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is. It all depends on daddy. I had a short hair calico that mated with a beautiful long hair Tom. (I saw him.) She had three long haired and three short haired kittens.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The pregnant stray I took in (pictured in my avatar with one of her kittens) mated with a long-haired black and white tom (we believe), and she had the orange and white short-haired kitten you see who is not fluffy at all, a medium-haired solid black kitten with a big fluffy tail, a long-haired grey and white tuxedo kitten who is very fluffy all over, and a tabby who resembles her but has a fluffy tail. No two alike! It's the mix of dominant and recessive genes. Enjoy the surprise when it comes. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

britw120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat genetics are so interesting.  The possibilities seem endless and diverse.  Dog genetics seem to be more straight forward (my neighbors husky had pups with a rottie and they all look like rotties).  I'll have to ask Mimi's owner if he has ever seen the tom cat or if he noticed any other cats around.

britw120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Would it be better to bring a male kitten in to a home with another male cat or would it be better to bring home a female?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dog genetics aren't that simple. I once saw a dog that was obviously half German shepherd and half basset hound. It looked like a German shepherd on short, stubby legs. 

britw120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok new question. I set up a low litter box for the kittens right next to Mimi's litter box. All the kittens have seen it and have been in it but that's all as far as I can tell. Is there anything else I can do to help promote box training?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, you don't need to do anything. Using the litter box is instinctive for cats - in the wild, they look for soft earth to dig a hole, then pee or poop, and cover it up. Just like the litter box. Once they know where it is and what it has in it, nature will take over.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to put them in it after eating and when they wake up.  You may also need to show them how to dig by holding their paw and digging in the litter.  Mam might show them how it's done as well.  It they poop outside the box, put the poop in the litter box and cover it so the litter has their smell.

britw120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today I caught one of the kittens peeing right next the the food dish. I picked her up and put her in the box. And I just caught another peeing near the nest. I put her in the box too. I found some poop and I put it in the box and showed all the kittens.

Can I use a diluted vinegar/water mix to clean these spots? And I thought cat generally don't like to mess where they eat...

And a pic for attention

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats don't, but kittens are still potty training. They don't know any better. And yes, you can use vinegar and water. Keep putting the kittens in the litter box several times a day. They are cute! [emoji]128522[/emoji]