Meet Mimi the pregnant foster

britw120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband and I are fostering our friend's pregnant cat.  Our friend suspects she is about due (possibly this week!). 

I'm starting this thread to share pics and get any advice if needed.  Mimi is very comfortable with us and has a quiet room with a nesting box and hidey hole.  Her owner also visits regularly.  

She is eating a good bit still (dry and wet kitten food) and the kittens are active but seem to slowing down a bit (due to impending birth?).  She likes belly rubs late at night.  The owner has said that he will spay after the kittens are weaned.  We will be fostering her until the kittens can go home.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

britw120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today Mimi has been a little more needy and spent a lot of time in her nest when she didn't want attention. She also hasn't eaten nearly as much as she normally does. I'm pretty sure I'll have kitten pics to share by the end of the week [emoji]128568[/emoji]

britw120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kittens have arrived!! So far there's 4. Mom is doing a good job. Will post pics later

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazing! You'll probably want to get a scale and start keeping an eye out for runts.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So adorable. You're definitely going to need to watch out for little ones who aren't getting to nurse enough.

britw120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When you weigh the kittens, how do you individualize them?  Like the 3 tabbies, I will have a hard time knowing which is which because they look so similar. 

dennis47

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

When you weigh the kittens, how do you individualize them?  Like the 3 tabbies, I will have a hard time knowing which is which because they look so similar. 
Maybe put some colored ribbons around their necks, a different color for each one. Then make a chart, and using a marker that coinsides with the particular kitten's ribbon, write that little darling's name beside it. Even if they are temporary names, this should help! I've fostered several pregnant cat in my life, and I find this method works exceedlngly well! Best of luck to you! Give Mimi a BIG HUG for us!

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, How beautiful!! They look like they have really grown in the past 24 hours!!!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lot of people

String around the neck makes me a bit nervous because of the risk of strangulation. Some people use a bit of food dye on the tip of the tail. It will have to be reapplied as mom cleans them, but it works well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please do not put string around the necks! Use different color Sharpie markers to the tip of the tail, or use colored nail polish on the tail tip or paw.

britw120

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will not put strings around their neck.  I was bit nervous about putting ribbons around their necks at this age.  Is it ok to put a sharpie on a back paw?