meet Buggy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@imjustacatmom    I have no definitive history on his origin, upbringing or past medical...no way to know. But I can tell you I've seen him with my own eyes go after a bird midflight...he jumped 6 feet straight up in the air! Routinely jumped up 4 and 5' on to tiny width fence boards...IF he was ever hurt, his physical activity certainly does not reflect any long term deficiencies.

The vet had no comment on injuries, though I admit i never asked. I'd guess before they drugged him up...he fought like hell.

@mazie    Of course, I'm resigned to giving him plenty of time...I'm able to pet his back and tail a little bit now...in short duration ...without him going all Godzilla on me. He gives me a concerned look, I praise, assure him, tell him he's a good boy. I'd think in time, that will become ingrained.      

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Will he take a treat from your hand? Take a really tasty treat like a piece of chicken or a piece of tuna and hold it in the palm of your hand and see if he'll take it.

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@imjustacatmom
   I have no definitive history on his origin, upbringing or past medical...no way to know. But I can tell you I've seen him with my own eyes go after a bird midflight...he jumped 6 feet straight up in the air! Routinely jumped up 4 and 5' on to tiny width fence boards...IF he was ever hurt, his physical activity certainly does not reflect any long term deficiencies.

The vet had no comment on injuries, though I admit i never asked. I'd guess before they drugged him up...he fought like hell.

@mazie    Of course, I'm resigned to giving him plenty of time...I'm able to pet his back and tail a little bit now...in short duration ...without him going all Godzilla on me. He gives me a concerned look, I praise, assure him, tell him he's a good boy. I'd think in time, that will become ingrained.      
You know I was just watching Dr. Jeff Rocky Mountain vet...in came a cat...with no inward problems...meaning x-rays came up clean...organs ok...blood ok...but his topside when petted he would hiss...they gave him pain meds and he was ok...he had gotten into a tussle....I'm also reminded of the story of a cat who fell and for months you couldn't touch his topside...he may have incurred an injury while being out in the streets and it is still healing which because you don't have a history on him can be a very real possibility...Smokey the cat I was feeding...for awhile you couldn't touch his topside and he had missing tufts of fun on his back....I've seen hawks eagles and owls flying atound here one eagle even circling over us when he was outside...I often wondered if a bird try to get him...which he is a big cat or if it was from fighting...just food for thought over here of course [emoji]128568[/emoji]

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@imjustacatmom.....I'm not thinking injuries..however there is no doubt in my mind in his past he had some sort of negative (if not violent or abusive) human encounter with hands. He's acutely aware and suspicious of (just about) ANY hand movement I make towards him....immediately defaulting to "on guard" and ready to defend himself.       

But hey, just this morning I'm able to get some pets in!  His Majesty allows pets and light scratching to the back of his head!  I'm also graced with running his tail through my fingers...all this without being hissed at or batted!  I must use a very light tender touch, nothing approaching aggressive. 

I can report that he perceives the frontal "fist approach" as aggressive....he signals "back off", which I do.   

I know it'll be slow, but I know I need to reinforce positive interaction with particular focus on the hands...I'll get into chicken treats fed by hand soon...just gotta come up with the goods!  : )  

His overall behavior is more trusting than ever.., generally peaceful and relaxed...and inquisitive. I know he *really* wants in to the rest of the house. As soon as I can be assured of minimal risk of cat/dog fights and gain a further sense of control over him....he's in.  

We're SO CLOSE! 

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@imjustacatmom.....I'm not thinking injuries..however there is no doubt in my mind in his past he had some sort of negative (if not violent or abusive) human encounter with hands. He's acutely aware and suspicious of (just about) ANY hand movement I make towards him....immediately defaulting to "on guard" and ready to defend himself.       

But hey, just this morning I'm able to get some pets in!  His Majesty allows pets and light scratching to the back of his head!  I'm also graced with running his tail through my fingers...all this without being hissed at or batted!  I must use a very light tender touch, nothing approaching aggressive. 

I can report that he perceives the frontal "fist approach" as aggressive....he signals "back off", which I do.   

I know it'll be slow, but I know I need to reinforce positive interaction with particular focus on the hands...I'll get into chicken treats fed by hand soon...just gotta come up with the goods!  : )  

His overall behavior is more trusting than ever.., generally peaceful and relaxed...and inquisitive. I know he *really* wants in to the rest of the house. As soon as I can be assured of minimal risk of cat/dog fights and gain a further sense of control over him....he's in.  

We're SO CLOSE! 
Tom's right - you're closer than you think - and you and The Bug have been teaching one another.  Quite a nice little journey (with apologies to Elbert Hubbard).

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've just spent the last hour or so reading through this thread and I want to say CONGRATULATIONS with all the success you've had with Buggy. I couldn't believe you were able to keep him inside without him going bonkers. That in itself was amazing!

Loved seeing that Buggy was in fact not the 12 year old feral, but a younger doppelganger. 

When I eventually came to your post that said he was PURRING, I totally awww-ed.  That is a definite sign of a happy cat. 

About picking Buggy up, he may never enjoy/tolerate that. My Ruby, who I adopted 3 years ago as a 2 or 3 year old, hates being picked up or restrained. She's a head bumper, snuggler and a lap cat, but kicks and squirms when I try to pick her up and cuddle her. I've accepted it as part of her personality, but it does make getting her into the cat carrier for vet visits a challenge. Edit to add: She was believed to be a stray for a while, but not feral, BTW.

I know you still have more milestones to reach, but I have no doubt that Buggy will eventually be a happy inside cat.  I look forward to your continued updates. And pictures. 

Last edited:

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@rubysmama     

You read the whole thread? Wow, humbling.

Obviously you've discovered this new undertaking has been an education for me (just a newbee) and a real life changer for Bug.      

No doubt you've read in the last day or so...I'm just now becoming able to pet him...even more so today.  

Tonight, an introduction...we harnessed the Yorkie and brought him into the Bug room for a few minutes. We kept them about 4 feet apart. The Bug was wide eyed, kind of frozen in awe...but was in very good behavior laying on the floor, no hissy fits or running away.  Just some more slow progress in prepping Bug for some further release into the house.

I'll soon get the screen door temporarily attached to allow him entry from his existing room into the next (laundry) room as well. He'll have freedom to go between the rooms, but no further for now. Eventually, we'll add the next room (kitchen). As long as he safely acclimates, forward we go, slow but sure.

His latest behavior and progress has been spectacular and inspiring!  Back in October I would have never imagined.....    

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@rubysmama     

Obviously you've discovered this new undertaking has been an education for me (just a newbee) and a real life changer for Bug.      

No doubt you've read in the last day or so...I'm just now becoming able to pet him...even more so today.  

Tonight, an introduction...we harnessed the Yorkie and brought him into the Bug room for a few minutes. We kept them about 4 feet apart. The Bug was wide eyed, kind of frozen in awe...but was in very good behavior laying on the floor, no hissy fits or running away.  Just some more slow progress in prepping Bug for some further release into the house.

I'll soon get the screen door temporarily attached to allow him entry from his existing room into the next (laundry) room as well. He'll have freedom to go between the rooms, but no further for now. Eventually, we'll add the next room (kitchen). As long as he safely acclimates, forward we go, slow but sure.

His latest behavior and progress has been spectacular and inspiring!  Back in October I would have never imagined.....    
Real progress today.  Makes you feel you could manage nearly anything now, eh?  Bravo !

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

@rubysmama     

After a few pages, I had to stop reading every post and concentrated only on your updates, otherwise I would still be reading!  But I read every one of your posts. It was almost like reading a novel, with all the twists and turns, and happy updates. Bug is one lucky kitty, for sure.   

I see you had continued progress today with the intro between Bug and your dog.  And pets too. Wonderful. 

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@rubysmama     The info, knowledge and tips Ondine, TT and other forum members offered was invaluable. I'm  still a newbee to feral/stray behavior and domestication. So much to learn.    

More progress every day.....he's become receptive to petting, without aggression. Like throwing a switch...all of a sudden, over the last 48 hours.  I'm thinking his hormones have further normalized?  

I let him into the next room for awhile this morning....his behavior good, non-threatening, just a bit curious and anxious to gain further entry and "join the crowd"....which seems positive and healthy. 

I was alone this morning, limited somewhat..when the cavalry returns from work this afternoon...perhaps we'll experiment a bit and allow him free rein into the kitchen!  Additional hands will help with logistics as there are no-go areas involved.

Progress is dizzying, I didn't predict this much, this soon and never imagined such a seamless transition with his accompanying good behavior.  

OR is this just the "honeymoon"?  (Bugzilla)  

Hey, question...whats the official term for the brushing against the legs and such? He did this with the Yorkie this morning!  Surprised the hell outta me...long ago I predicted fisticuffs!  

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hey, question...whats the official term for the brushing against the legs and such? He did this with the Yorkie this morning!  Surprised the hell outta me...long ago I predicted fisticuffs!  
Rubbing against your legs is actually, "scent marking."  When The Bug butts his head against you, it's called, "bunting."  There a good quick-read article online about marking here:

http://www.thedailycat.com/behavior/understanding/all_mine_cat_marking_explained/index.html

Of course, in a baseball household, head-butting would be called "EddieCollinsing."

Last edited: