meet Buggy

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Now i'll really spoil the Bugs tough guy image.....he gave me my first forehead kiss this morning!  

But later on....a bite on the arm and a hiss from Bugzilla.  He's still dead set against  "hands on" ......he DOESN'T like to be touched or handled in any way.  

Tons of work yet to do.  
Good work, though.  In the end, you'll both win.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Five weeks to the day after neuter....now i'm perceiving some positive changes. He's a little less prone to hissy fits, his face even looks different...I sense he's calming, likely the hormones normalizing within him. He seems awake and more coherent than ever.  

I'm able to pet him for short duration...he's on very good behavior, knowing full well he'll' be admonished for any violence or hissing.   

He's not ready quite yet, but definite positive changes, well on the path to become a full family member. 

Some more time and work needed. My final goal in sight....in my opinion, I've got to be able to handle, pick him up, pet and hold him *without a fight*....I'll be satisfied he will then be ready to integrate. 

Wow, what an amazing transformation since last October! 

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think he's happy indoors. I know he's itching to get out of solitary confinement, looking and sniffing curiously at the other cat and Yorkie frequently greeting him at his screen door. 

When I enter the room (wood sliding door) he's frequently right there on the other side...if allowed he'd enter in a heartbeat.

Whether it be in or out...he just wants to expand his world. Can't say i blame him, though what a life.

Sleep, eat, poop, socialize, schmooze with his owner a bit....rinse, repeat.

Once integrated, I think he'll have fun with the others. Maybe then he'll grasp the concept of "play"...after seeing the others hopefully he'll copy. He still remains a stiff regarding playtime....he could care less. Lazy little layabout that Bug.

A lot was missing in his non-existent adolescent education....seemingly limited to survival and roaming.     

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, very good job!

The change to his face occur when the hormones and testosterone subside.  Intake male cats grow thicker hair around their jowls (sort of like a lions mane).  If I am not mistaken, their facial muscles also enlarge and get harder.  This makes them more intimidating and helps protect against bites to their faces.

Isn't it amazing what changes a few shots weeks will bring?  Happy Spring!!!!

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@bigbadbass
I am so happy for you and the Bug...may I interject something here...you said once you can pick him up pet and hold him with out a fight you'll bring him in...that may be a long time...to be honest that may be a huge requirement on your part...I understand you don't want violence as none of us do...but he may never be the holding cat and petting kind of guy...my best advice to you at this point is to slowly introduce him...so he can learn from other what to and not to do...Duchess wouldn't let me pick her up for a long time...I believe it's best to let a feral sometimes go at their own pace when it comes to us picking them up...I'm really impressed with everything you two have done together...in fact you have done an amazing job...please consider what I said thank you

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You make valid points. I'm being very hopeful. Picking him up is still way off in the future, if ever, though that would meet my requirements and frankly, exceed my expectations. Yes, I'm setting the bar pretty high there.   

Nonetheless, prior to introduction I will still need to control him if need be...get him out of one room, into another for example. Or, God forbid, breaking up a fight (gulp) 

And your point on him learning from the other domestics gives me further hope. First he's got to get along with the others...an unknown. Can't risk battles, he'd instantly rip them to pieces.  

Gonna give him some more time for his hormones to "regulate". I can clearly see him calming...a most welcome, positive change adjusting to his surroundings.  

Your experience and guidance invaluable and helpful...both in confirming what I've read and bringing up points I haven't even considered!  

A most sincere thank you  (bows)

BBB 

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@bigbadbass

I am hoping you can integrate him soon...I really am...even the positivity just through screen from the others and him...is proving to be hopeful...in time...in time[emoji]128568[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji][emoji]128049[/emoji]

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Bug (the new, good Bug) is kneading....besides indicating relaxation....what else?   
Kneading is associative and grounded in the reflexive motion kittens use to "help" Mom with the flow of milk.  It's imprint-transferred, and associated with the safety kittens feel while nursing.  Some cats will suckle soft objects as well - the corners of blankets, or even fingers, for example.  You're seeing the outward manifestation of associative memories of warmth, comfort and Mom's Love.

Good Bug !

Last edited:

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great transformation!

I'm jealous, my boy never kneads [emoji]9785[/emoji]️
....but the SOB still won't allow petting without hissy fits and batting !   We're working on that DAILY.  He evidently still thinks harm will come to him. 

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Patience my friend, patience. Remember, on his terms?

Let him head butt or rub his cheeks on your fist first and then stroke him on his cheek a few times and stop. Then repeat. If he hisses, say no then stop then repeat.

For Bugs, I think you have do it slow and easy just like from the first day. Don't rush him.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

....but the SOB still won't allow petting without hissy fits and batting !   We're working on that DAILY.  He evidently still thinks harm will come to him. 
REMEMBER, Not all that long ago he was a feral cat.  Feral cats are very jumpy, suspicious, uptight, nervous, you understand what I am saying.  His world is all different now (and that is so wonderful for him that is the case).  Feral cats are out in the wild where they are for the most part, the smallest, most obtainable prey for any large carnivore, and a feral cat know that.  He is now "reconditioning" his way of life, thanks to you.  He has made so much progress, and you are telling us about that almost daily. Our friends here are all saying what I am saying,  he is coming around.  REMEMBER  - Rome was not built in a day!!

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@bigbadbass

You know I think someone mentioned this before...but I just realized he may have an old injury and it might hurt him when you pet him...did he get a thorough check up at vet?