meet Buggy

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bigbadbass  

His healthy appetite seem to be returning,  had some real deal baked chicken (people food) last night, kind of a "pre dinner".  Needless to say, he loved every piece.  
Perfect.  White Tip is in Love with baked chicken, and when she smells it, she runs right to me and won't leave my side.  I call it by the same name - "the real deal," and she's learned that all too well.  You daren't even use the phrase in her hearing, or she sticks to you like a little furry barnacle.

G - this was a great report.  Your kindness and your patience are beginning to pay big dividends, and the real beauty of your relationship with The Bug is that no matter how old he gets, you'll never have to fork over college tuition !

Keep up the good work.

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@bigbadbass

This is good to hear....haha Duchess loves rotisserie chicken and she is right at our feet when my hubby brings it home...Prince likes it too but since he has a flat face he is challenged by eating it and I usually have to hand feed it to him...
You know I now have to wonder if Bugs was also a part of a colony and/or previously owned...to perk up due to interaction for a true feral is a bit odd...not saying it can't happen just wondering...

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
G - this might be helpful, especially considering your location:

Both White Tip and Bob like roast Long Island Duckling - maybe The Bug would as well.  If you'll let me know what night your making it... well... how far are you from Islip?

;)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We are definitely over the hump.

Little Elvis slept in MY chair the majority of the night, also ate, used L box.  Normal morning feed time ate some more...screen is up...he's still awake, and attentive.

His healthy appetite seem to be returning,  had some real deal baked chicken (people food) last night, kind of a "pre dinner".  Needless to say, he loved every piece.  

His sleeping hours seem to be turned around some, even just after a day or so. Will continue to work on this.  

He's meowing at us...communicating.  Just overall happier, awake, willing to interact more and more. IF there was depression caused by his whole ordeal and instant, forced lifestyle change... its seemingly gone now.  

The social stimulation, safely being introduced to people and pets through the temporary screen door, seems to have worked wonders. An INSTANT U-turn from his prior retreat and hide syndrome. 

While this method is traditionally used to integrate, cat to cat, into a household, it may be a useful tool to "bring them out" from retreat....voluntarily on their part.   
Controlled and  safe, no one's gonna get hurt ...a method worth trying for those cats we read about who simply "won't come out" for long periods. Hey, if it worked for Bug, I'm sure it'll work for others. 
Just a friendly warning here on human food. Make sure it does not have garlic. Cats cannot eat garlic. Certain human foods are ok but just occasionally will do.

Great to hear Bugs is on his own routine and best of all, meowing at you guys. Think he's saying thank you.

So just continue with your routine and hopefully soon we can see him in a group shot with the rest of the cats.

You are doing a fantastic job here! :clap:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a friendly warning here on human food. Make sure it does not have garlic. Cats cannot eat garlic. Certain human foods are ok but just occasionally will do.

Tom's right, of course.  I wasn't advocating roast duck every day but I'm always free on week-ends of course.

.;)

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful, you two are really coming along.   Keep up the good work, and I too agree, you most certainly have turned a corner with your boy.!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's up early this morning, alert and on good behavior. I then went to work. 

Upon my return home, he's brushing against my legs, I'm praising. Later on a hiss...I lightly said to him "no hissing" and he stopped. 

I'll continue to tactfully admonish him, attempting to cease the hissing. Long term, I will not tolerate that behavior, we'll immediately work on that.

My chair has become His Highness' new domain, in it he can see the screen door, hear and see who's out there,  a good vantage spot. 

Note to self....add a chair in there!   : )  

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear your progress.  You might have seen my post about Tuly.  It has only been about 2 months and she is not hiding as much.  I have got to get some chicken to  bake.  It is so good to know other folks are going through the same thing with a (former) feral.  it keeps me going and keeps me from getting discouraged.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So glad to hear your progress.  You might have seen my post about Tuly.  It has only been about 2 months and she is not hiding as much.  I have got to get some chicken to  bake.  It is so good to know other folks are going through the same thing with a (former) feral.  it keeps me going and keeps me from getting discouraged.
If you are feeding baked chicken to the kitty, make sure there's no garlic in them. Garlics are toxic to cats. So are many other human foods and ingredients ;)

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You may get a kick out of this....Bug has claimed my comfy, warm chair in his room, simply refusing to move when I visit...and thats ok...I sit down on the floor in front of him....

basically I'm now BOWING to the KING, His Highness, in all his glory.   :  )

no garlic, TT,  and good to be aware of hazards involving people food.   

Last edited:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You may get a kick out of this....Bug has claimed my comfy, warm chair in his room, simply refusing to move when I visit...and thats ok...I sit down on the floor in front of him....

no garlic, TT,  and good to be aware of hazards involving people food.   
Great news! Let the claim game begin! :clap:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hopefully you won't learn that he's a Red Sox fan.  Dear Lord, I can't even imagine the fight.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so he hops down off his throne...err, chair, rubs himself around by back, side and arm....gently bites my big toe...when out of nowhere...he hisses and lightly claws my arm.

I verbally admonished him....he started the whole process again. Rinse and repeat.

I could feel the static electricity between his coat and my shirt material...could this have been discomforting,  semi painful and startling to him and the reason for his minor attack?

Now that he's openly showing emotion (and claiming me) I don't want to dissuade this interaction, quite the contrary.....Is there a anti static spray (safe for him) i can use? 

Maybe he senses I'm a NY Yankee fan?  : )

Last edited:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Wow! Again very good progress from bugs. He is owning more of you now. When a cat gently bites you, it means they love you! It like giving you love bites as not to be confused by real biting that draws blood and taking a chunk of you.

As for the hissing, just tell him it's ok, no hissing. Sometimes they see something new and not sure what it is and he'll hiss and try to bat the object.

For the static electricity part, leave a bowl of water in the room. It might work. I think there's a theory behind that.

I think you better be his fan :lol3:

Photos please! :pix:

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
a forum search has revealed a solution....I'll fire up the humidifier in the room.....simple. 

i'll do some photos when time allows....but in transferring from phone to computer, they darken. I'll figure it out. 

Last edited: