meet Buggy

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Ondine

Hahaha he's not little...that cat probably weighs 25-30 pounds...I have long hands and his feet are about as long as my hands...[emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So I've been looking after a stray...for a couple of months now...I think he has some Bengal in him...the way his face looks...he's an outdoor boy that's for sure...although lately he has been trying to come in...I found out yesterday that his owner just left him and his brother/sister? Which was along my thinking from the get....anyhoo I'm trying to convince the hubby to let me bring him in...you see I have this really weird ability to get the one cat...which I believe God tells their little spirit "Go to her, she'lltake care of you." That's pretty much how I've gotten most of my kitties...and with all the cats that run around...this guy is the one who came up to me...so my point is...if my husband doesn't want to bring him in...maybe I can make him an enclosure similar...here's a picture

I've named him Smokey aka General Smokestacks [emoji]127775[/emoji] [emoji]127775[/emoji] [emoji]127775[/emoji] [emoji]127775[/emoji] [emoji]127775[/emoji] I started a thread about him(under that name) and have mentioned him in show me your eyes and somewhere else can't remember...an enclosure does sound like a great endeavor to take on as well
imjustacatmom imjustacatmom ..................Thank you for taking care of Smokey. I'm happy for him. Hope that you'll be able to have him inside.

Smokey is a DSH Mackerel Tabby. He's handsome! [emoji]10084[/emoji]

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@TabbyTom

Yes he definitely has tabby in him...but his face tells me he's mixed...so...maybe if I get to bring him in the hubby will agree to get his DNA tested

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bow to the collective wisdom here once again....six days ago I reported Bug showed some promise brushing up against my leg for the first time. Since then he has retreated yet again...sleeping whole days...eating and L box use is ok..but awake with very short, whacked out hours.

I've tried EVERYTHING to stimulate him to come out...play toys, catnip, food treats, talking, laying on the floor, some attempted minor cat introduction via opening a screen door, went so far as to carry one of the housecats into his room ...he simply turns his head and nods back off again. Much like he's been overdosed on tranquilizers or something.

I admit..I'm now concerned as his retreat and *constant* sleeping is, for the most part, going on a month now. I don't want the 100% retreat to become his normal routine. 

Specifically.....do I wait him out?  Give him more time?  

OR...can I stimulate him somewhat?  I've got a large dog cage....would you folks advise I bring him out, safely expose him to the living room, minor noise and activity, humans and the other house cats?  This would be under constant supervision only, of course.  

I've read where folks have done this. 

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I bow to the collective wisdom here once again....six days ago I reported Bug showed some promise brushing up against my leg for the first time. Since then he has retreated yet again...sleeping whole days...eating and L box use is ok..but awake with very short, whacked out hours.

I've tried EVERYTHING to stimulate him to come out...play toys, catnip, food treats, talking, laying on the floor, some attempted minor cat introduction via opening a screen door, went so far as to carry one of the housecats into his room ...he simply turns his head and nods back off again. Much like he's been overdosed on tranquilizers or something.

I admit..I'm now concerned as his retreat and *constant* sleeping is, for the most part, going on a month now. I don't want the 100% retreat to become his normal routine. 

Specifically.....do I wait him out?  Give him more time?  

OR...can I stimulate him somewhat?  I've got a large dog cage....would you folks advise I bring him out, safely expose him to the living room, minor noise and activity, humans and the other house cats?  This would be under constant supervision only, of course.  

I've read where folks have done this. 
Keep trying.  I'll add the two of you into my Prayers tonight, and I'd bet my last dime that others will here as well.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
First, if he's eating and using the litter box, we can rule out that he is ok and not feeling unwell. Sleeping wise, I think it's his pattern. He was from the outdoors and most likely he's sleeping in the day and hunting in the night.

Now after the neutering, his activities are slowed down. The urge to roam is diminishing. But he is still a cat and with all the sleeping, he's bound to be awake at some time of the day and for him is in the wee hours.

Remember, he's living a changed life. Continue the routine whether he takes up the offer or not. Don't stop and don't give up. And don't raise your worry levels too high.

It's good that you brought in one of the kitties into the room and he did not hiss at all but he just ignore and turns his head and nod. As long as there's no signs of hostility from both cats, it's a good sign. Keep doing that and also do the slow intro with the glass door.

I would not use a crate and put him in the living room. The crate might reminds him of his capture and stress him out. It's better to go with the slow intro. Not all cats are alike. It might work for some and not for all.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Crate idea crapcanned.  As usual, your collective help appreciated. My inexperience is showing yet again.  

i left him at midnight...food in bowls...this morning.... completely gone.

He used L-box overnight as well....must admit he's a good boy in that respect. What could be a constant messy difficult disaster is made a dull, routine "job". For that, I thank the Bug.  Our currently distant relationship could be much worse.    

Thus his minimal activity is limited to odd ball overnight hours, he and I are on completely different timelines.   

I'll step back ...continue with the routine, give him more time for his body to adjust and to acclimate.

We'll reevaluate in a few weeks, in which time, hopefully, he'll come out some. 

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Guess now the main thing is get him to be more socialized. Keep trying to get him out and come to you in the day just like the day he came put to brush against your legs.

Not sure which channel was he on that day that he came out but try to get him tune to that channel.

Routine, patience and love.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yessir, the ONE (and only) TIME he brushed against my legs totally blew me away!  I thought he finally came out....but man was I wrong. Shows you what I know about cats. 

Dunno how to explain that one...he allowed me a quick example of what he *could* (and should) be like.

Will keep up routine, maintain patience, hope and allow him time to become the wonderful little creature trapped inside his current caveman head.

C'mon Bug, dammit!  We're waitin' on you !       :  ) 

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yessir, the ONE (and only) TIME he brushed against my legs totally blew me away!  I thought he finally came out....but man was I wrong. Shows you what I know about cats. 

Dunno how to explain that one...he allowed me a quick example of what he *could* (and should) be like.

Will keep up routine, maintain patience, hope and allow him time to become the wonderful little creature trapped inside his current caveman head.

C'mon Bug, dammit!  We're waitin' on you !       :  ) 
You're a good man.  Not advice, and not a suggestion, but sometimes all it takes is one big hug for a once-feral cat to form a Lifelong bond.  I've used it as the court of last resort twice - with cats who, over the course of months, simply refused to "come around" - just picking them up and holding them until they finally calmed down and resigned themselves to being Loved.  I understand that this method was also used successfully with women by Humphrey Bogart.

Caveat: it can also result in being clawed and bitten in a flash, and might also cause a further setback.  I've had good luck with it, but I don't really mind being scratched or bitten, and attitude might play a part in what's conveyed to the cat when trying this method.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are learning that cats do things on "their time frame, not OURS".  Don't worry, sometime he will all of a sudden do something so totally loving towards you, and yes, you will be blown away.  You got to remember, he is learning you as you are learning him.  It's a two way street in getting to know one another.   Patience.   What's that saying, "slow and steady wins the race".  Your rewards will come and will be sooo worth it.  and yes, his roots come from being a feral cat.  You will get there, and the patience will be soooo worth it. 

Last edited:

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@bigbadbass the above was a feral (yes a Siamese was a feral!) Anyhoo not sure if you remember from the beginning of your posts but that picture that I just took 2.14.17 @ 4:10pm that little girl took 2 years to get on couch...she came to us in Summer of 2013...my point...it all depends on cat...how long they were out...and someone mentioned above...attitude is everything to a cat....I know it sounds strange...but for whatever reason cats can sense EVERYTHING...I just now remembered it is in how you aproach...you talk..etc..if they sense you're scared anxious trepidatious they too in turn become that way...and I know it's been a month since he's been fixed...I sense he himself is trying to adjust to what the heck happened to him...I don't think cats sense time the way we do...so maybe in his head he thinks that just a short while ago he was running around doing what he knew best to being fixed and being indoors...you are doing fine...relax a little...and above all continue to be a constant in his life...right now he's probably really sketchy on trust...he and you have to build it....I'm remembering that little girl and how God spoke to her spirit saying go to that lady she'll take care of you...I believe God did the same to Bugs...it took me so long to build trust...and she took to me pretty quixkly after she got pregnant...I had to show her 1 I loved her 2 I wasn't scared of her 3 I wasn't going anywhere and 4 neither was she...ok blessings my friend

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@imjustacatmom   Thanks for your comments. Again, your experience shines. 

FANTASTIC NEWS!   This evening, i did the screen door thing....he's up, awake, curious, interested.  Alternately lying down at ease, then pacing a bit and exploring his bounds. He's meowing a lot, no hissing, looking face to face alternately with one of the housecats and the Yorkie!   

Doesn't seem to be any animosity at all. i'm keeping fairly constant vigil, though.

Some social stimulation has worked wonders!   He's getting the sounds, sights and smells of the house (dinner being cooked)

He seems anxious to join us, though a little premature I think. IF he were to find a spot in my basement, he'd easily burrow in for a year. 

Little by little, in a week or so...I'll allow him into the adjoining laundry room ...he'll then be able to choose between his room and laundry room....followed by the kitchen.

Whew, I can't tell y'all how relieved I am!  More later....

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@imjustacatmom   Thanks for your comments. Again, your experience shines. 

FANTASTIC NEWS!   This evening, i did the screen door thing....he's up, awake, curious, interested.  Alternately lying down at ease, then pacing a bit and exploring his bounds. He's meowing a lot, no hissing, looking face to face alternately with one of the housecats and the Yorkie!   

Doesn't seem to be any animosity at all. i'm keeping fairly constant vigil, though.

Some social stimulation has worked wonders!   He's getting the sounds, sights and smells of the house (dinner being cooked)

He seems anxious to join us, though a little premature I think. IF he were to find a spot in my basement, he'd easily burrow in for a year. 

Little by little, in a week or so...I'll allow him into the adjoining laundry room ...he'll then be able to choose between his room and laundry room....followed by the kitchen.

Whew, I can't tell y'all how relieved I am!  More later....
Sounds to me like Bugs was concerned that he wasn't going to be a part of the Family.  Patience has paid off so far, and will undoubtedly continue to pay dividends.  It's great to read such a heartening report !

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Sounds to me like Bugs was concerned that he wasn't going to be a part of the Family.  Patience has paid off so far, and will undoubtedly continue to pay dividends.  It's great to read such a heartening report !

Thank you, J.  The open door, introductions, seeing, smells, sounds really perked him up. Turned him on like a light switch. I believe its 6 weeks to the day that he came indoors. Yet again, his conduct defies full feral behavior...he's acting more like a dumped housecat?  Much like his perfect batting average with the litterbox, he took to it immediately . Curious for a full feral, no? 

Little Elvis has seen fit to claim my chair yet again.....now THATS the Bug that we know and love. The screen remains up for awhile tonight .....I've monitoring him on camera...curled up and comfy, possibly catching a wink after being subjected to such exertion this afternoon.  

Stealin' my chair? Anytime Bug.

Wife, one kid who's home, dog, other cat, myself...everyone seems ecstatic FINALLY able to welcome the Bug.