May my mother rest in peace

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I've been thinking of you today, hoping the service was a comfort to you. I'm so sorry the cemetery isn't what you hoped for.

But if I understand right, your mom is resting now in one of the official National Cemeteries which are created and maintained by the armed forces strictly for veterans and their families. They are all operated by the same standards as the famous Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia. [Edit: I just checked what you sent me, and I'm mistaken -- yours is a state-run veteran's cemetery, but it appears to follow the same standards as the national ones, and is intended to serve the same purpose.]

In a way, our family felt the same way about the Dallas/Fort Worth National Cemetery, where my father is buried. The precise sameness of every marker was disappointing at first. I guess it's natural that we should want to make our loved one's resting place unique and expressive of who that person was... and that can be done only to a very limited degree in our National Cemeteries.

It's more difficult for you, perhaps, because your mother was not a soldier -- but maybe you'll feel better if you view her grave as the place where your father, too, will someday be laid to rest. When you consider the inclusiveness of military service, the fact that people from all backgrounds and all walks of life come together in the armed forces for a common good, you may be able to see a certain kind of dignity and rightness to the uniformity of a National Cemetery.

I've come to feel that it's right that everyone buried in a National Cemetery is treated equally, regardless of rank or stature or background or family situation. My father, a Lieutenant Colonel, rests between a Corporal and a Sergeant, and his headstone is exactly like theirs. That strikes me as a perfectly American way of doing things. It's an expression of our commitment to equality.

Since our family is not wealthy, we wouldn't have been able to provide a headstone that really reflected what we feel about my father, anyway -- and if we had, my father would have been embarrassed by it, I'm sure.
For all his accomplishments, he remained a very humble man, and he dearly loved the enlisted men, the lowest ranks in the Army, the so-called "grunts" who he felt did the riskiest and dirtiest work, but got the least glory.

So I know my father would be happy not to have anything distinguishing about his resting place, aside from the yellow roses we placed there last week. I think he would feel it is special enough to be among his fellow soldiers, in a place that will be protected and cared for with dignity for as long as there's an America.

Does that help you at all? I hope you can come to view your mother's grave as the place of great honor that it is meant to be.
It's not that it's not an honor. I'm just used to something different and I guess my expectations were too high. I just feel like if I go there I may be invading someone else's grave or privacy. Does that make any sense?

When you see the pictures of my grandparents, I think you may understand what I'm trying to say. I wasn't trying to dishonor or insult anyone in anyway.

As Jcat mentioned, I think she knows what I meant and it's hard to explain with no visual.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, honey, I know you weren't dishonoring anyone!
Not my thought at all! I do understand your feeling... I was just hoping to make you feel better about it.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about the passing of your mother. She sounds like she was a truly remarkable woman.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh gosh, honey, I know you weren't dishonoring anyone!
Not my thought at all! I do understand your feeling... I was just hoping to make you feel better about it.
I am glad that it IS gated and that it does seem very well taken care of. I'm sure that if we do plan on going to Germany this summer I may end up crying when I see my cousin.

I just could not cry at the funeral. I know she isn't coming back, and maybe one day something will just set it off. I did a lot of crying when she was sick.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I had to look for a sewing book since my mom has a very nice brown jacket and I have a nice pair of brown dress pants, but they are too long. I always have problems remembering how to thread the sewing machine.

I found a book at the mall, but also checked at Hobby Lobby. I couldn't stay long because it just brought back too many memories. My mom could do it all so we were always in there.

I also attempted to make my first german cheesecake without her. I hope it comes out ok because the last time I did one was July and she walked me through it.
I'm sure that whatever you do, your mother will be with you, still guiding you through it.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what I was trying to explain in my earlier post. This is where my mother is now.

See how close the headstones are? I literally have to step on other graves to get to her and I apologize all the way through because I find it disrespectful.

This is my grandparent's grave in Germany.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see what you mean, and the way your Grandparent's graves are, is how my Dad's grave and all my other relatives buried back east are...with flowers or room to plant them if you wish, grass. A place to spend private time.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I can see what you mean, and the way your Grandparent's graves are, is how my Dad's grave and all my other relatives buried back east are...with flowers or room to plant them if you wish, grass. A place to spend private time.
that's what my grandparents' & my brother's is, too... but i really enjoyed seeing Arlington cemetary, with the rows & rows of identical stones - really brought home how many people have served our country.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My best friend found out when I sent her the pictures. She was able to see her one last time before she had to go back.

This year is going to be really hard because my birthday is on thanksgiving and she has always been there.

I have friends that are trying to do things with me, but it's just not the same. I know they are trying. I have a hard time going anywhere because it just reminds me of her.

My dad is simply not my mom.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

I have friends that are trying to do things with me, but it's just not the same. I know they are trying. I have a hard time going anywhere because it just reminds me of her.

My dad is simply not my mom.
so true - if you have or had a good mother-daughter relationship, there just is no substitute for that.
keep talking to us - we're all here for you, always!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

so true - if you have or had a good mother-daughter relationship, there just is no substitute for that.
keep talking to us - we're all here for you, always!
We did a lot of things together and I could talk to her about most things and she always seemed to know the answer or try to find a brighter side to things.

I told my best friend that I wasn't even going to bother with a birthday cake because I have to do all the cooking on thanksgiving. With the way things are going, I probably won't care either way.

I told her she is welcomed to come over, but I don't know if I will want to be around others.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

I told her she is welcomed to come over, but I don't know if I will want to be around others.
probably not, but if she's the right kind of friend, she'll be there, anyway.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Sabrina... no, your dad is not your mom, but then, nobody can be, y'know? I know you want your mother back right now, and I so understand... but please don't forget to appreciate your dad, too. If you and he can lean on each other, maybe this will go easier for you both.

And by golly, if your father doesn't make you a birthday cake this year, I will! How do you feel about German chocolate cake?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We did a lot of things together and I could talk to her about most things and she always seemed to know the answer or try to find a brighter side to things.

I told my best friend that I wasn't even going to bother with a birthday cake because I have to do all the cooking on thanksgiving. With the way things are going, I probably won't care either way.

Honey, it's ok to boycott holidays after something like this. It will take time to get in the holiday mood again. After my dad died, mom went out for Thanksgiving dinner with the family instead of cooking dinner. I didn't celebrate thanksgiving or christmas (well, I did eat a turkey sandwich on Thanksgiving, but I lived far away from my mom and getting back home was impossible). My first birthday after mom died, I just wanted to ignore it, but that weekend my MIL (then, future MIL) had a family dinner and had a cake for me and I just bawled. She felt so bad.

Thanksgiving is a long way off, so before you make any decisions now....wait and see how you feel at that time. I don't think anyone wouldn't understand if you say you don't want to cook, or have dinner there.

Christmas is the hard one for me, because my mom loved it so much. I'm just now getting to the point that decorating for Christmas is exciting...it took me 3 years to be able to get a real tree and unwrap all the traditional decorations. I'm still not "there" yet, but I'm getting there.

Basically, you have to take things at your own speed. Don't worry about Thanksgiving or your birthday yet...deal with the next few days and weeks and months and see how you feel.

It takes time.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh, Sabrina... no, your dad is not your mom, but then, nobody can be, y'know? I know you want your mother back right now, and I so understand... but please don't forget to appreciate your dad, too. If you and he can lean on each other, maybe this will go easier for you both.

And by golly, if your father doesn't make you a birthday cake this year, I will! How do you feel about German chocolate cake?
I have some of my mom's friends trying to do things with me. I think it's really nice of them, but I miss her. I just hope to get through this year.

Originally Posted by calico2222

Honey, it's ok to boycott holidays after something like this. It will take time to get in the holiday mood again. After my dad died, mom went out for Thanksgiving dinner with the family instead of cooking dinner. I didn't celebrate thanksgiving or christmas (well, I did eat a turkey sandwich on Thanksgiving, but I lived far away from my mom and getting back home was impossible). My first birthday after mom died, I just wanted to ignore it, but that weekend my MIL (then, future MIL) had a family dinner and had a cake for me and I just bawled. She felt so bad.

Thanksgiving is a long way off, so before you make any decisions now....wait and see how you feel at that time. I don't think anyone wouldn't understand if you say you don't want to cook, or have dinner there.

Christmas is the hard one for me, because my mom loved it so much. I'm just now getting to the point that decorating for Christmas is exciting...it took me 3 years to be able to get a real tree and unwrap all the traditional decorations. I'm still not "there" yet, but I'm getting there.

Basically, you have to take things at your own speed. Don't worry about Thanksgiving or your birthday yet...deal with the next few days and weeks and months and see how you feel.

It takes time.
My dad is not in great health so I worry that something could happen to him also. I'm terrified if he goes also because then I will have NO ONE. What good are birthdays if you have no one to celebrate with? That is my fear and I know it will happen sooner than later.

I'm afraid that I will come home to an empty house and have no one to talk to or to rely on. I knew this would come one day, but not this soon and not like this.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

I wish she were here so I could figure out this mess!
i know you really wish she were here for other reasons
after all, if she still were here, & healthy - there wouldn't be a mess to figure out, now, would there? but you'd be much happier, i know
sorry i can't be of any help...

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i know you really wish she were here for other reasons
after all, if she still were here, & healthy - there wouldn't be a mess to figure out, now, would there? but you'd be much happier, i know
sorry i can't be of any help...
True....I'd give all the money I had if it would bring her back. I knew balancing hers would be difficult.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh hon I wish I had words to make you feel better but I just don't. Everything I can think of just doesn't do justice to what my heart wants to say, so I'm just sending lots of prayers and virtual hugs your way.