Matilda

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please be careful of taking in fully dependent bottle babies while you are in school. 8 hours is too long. Also be aware that at some point your mama kitty may get stressed taking in new kittens. She'll need to wean eventually and get spayed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libertysgoats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I took in more bottle babies it would be all on me! Matilda was so confused last night when I didn't bring Carter back it broke my heart. She will be spayed and allowed to be a happy cat not worrying about kittens.
Sounds like I should wait until the summer to take on anymore bottle kittens. Thank you everyone for the advice and kind words they've really helped a lot.

We are starting to have monthly foster meetings where all of us foster get together plan adoption events, replenish our supplies and etc. This month we are trying to get kitten "starter packs" and emergency kits together. What are the things you'd put into each pack? We are wanting to get tons of advice on this because these packs will go out to future fosters and we want just about everything they will need in both packs.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
libertysgoats libertysgoats

What a fantastic idea! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Dry kitten chow
Canned wet food
KMR
Bottle
Syringe
Clear pedialyte
Kitchen scale
Raw rice socks
Towels
Emergrncy vet phone numbers

Printed copies of some of our articles on how to hand feed newborns; what to expect during pregnancy and delivery, etc.

Last edited:

libertysgoats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This was poor Bruce's eyes this morning. Momma is on Clavamox and Lysine and each kitten is getting their eyes wiped twice a day and ointment put on if they have gunk. This is the first signs of anything with Bruce, Lavender had slight gunk but it went away right away and was never this bad. [emoji]128546[/emoji]
I will now clean his eyes four times a day and put the ointment on twice a day until his clears up.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor Bruce, but you are getting right on this, and hopefully can head it off at the pass, so to speak.

Rest you gentle, Little Carter, dream you deep.  I will remember you.

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor little guy! I'd call your vet on dosage recommendations. I fostered an 8 week old kitten who almost lost his eye due to a nasty URI, but the vet recommended the Terramycin three times a day on each eye and his vision was saved! Keep us updated how he's feeling. [emoji]128149[/emoji]

libertysgoats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a vet appointment tomorrow and I'm applying something very similar to terramycin to his eyes twice a day. I'm hoping it doesn't get that bad. :/

lexlovescats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it's any consolation, it doesn't look nearly as bad as the sick boy I took in. I've been following this thread for awhile, and you're doing such a good job with these guys! I love the Matilda themed names.

libertysgoats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww thank you! I think I've finally found my spot in rescue work. [emoji]128522[/emoji] We didn't name Matilda after the movie but I figured they'd be cute names for the kittens, and I'm sure once they go to their new homes they'll be changed anyway.

Last edited:

libertysgoats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What could cause Owen to randomly scream his little head off? You'd think someone was trying to eat him with how he is acting, it's totally random. If you pick him up it normally stops in a few seconds. He started it last night and is doing it again tonight. He is eating normal and Momma stimulates him(I know because when I try to make sure nothing comes out). When your dead asleep it's the scariest thing ever! Even Matilda jumps up like what the heck is going on?!?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How strange! I'm stumped. When you say scream, what sort of meow is it?

You said he stops if held? Does he seem frightened or in pain? Is another kitten biting him?

Last edited:

libertysgoats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He screams like someone is hurting him but 90% of the time when he does it everyone else is asleep. It's so weird though, it's not like he does it to be held because he'd totally rather be in with the others than me holding him...although my mom did maybe think he is doing it to get my attention because I supplement him. So maybe he thinks if he screams his head off I'm going to pick him up and feed him? He always has a full round belly between my feedings and when he nurses on Tilda so I'm not convinced that's why. It's so weird, I will ask the vet about it today to see what he thinks.

libertysgoats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will try and feed him next time and see if it holds him off the rest of the night without him doing it again but I really don't think that's why he is doing it. But I will try anything because I feel bad for the poor guy.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know.  I think that sarthur2 may be right about waking up hungry and demanding your attention.  Kittens, "grown cats, can be quite vocal about expressing their needs.  I'm adding the "@" at the end of  this because TCS is being odd right now and won't let my type anything after I enter a name, @sarthur2  

libertysgoats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just got back from the vet and other than the URI everyone is doing great. He wants me to start the kittens on the Clavamax as well to help clear up the gunk and sneezing. He also checked Owens lungs to make sure he didn't have pneumonia and they sounded perfect! We found out Matilda only weighs 9 pounds! She was to thrilled about the whole trip but did good.
As the vet was looking over everyone Matilda jumped into the box we brought her kittens in to nurse them. She really is a good momma. [emoji]10084[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is excelllent news! It's good that the vet put them all on clavamox as a precaution and to clear everyone up. Glad Owen is okay too! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Such a sweet mama! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Last edited:

libertysgoats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Matilda's kittens will be three weeks old this Sunday! Time really has flown by with her little guys, they are starting to play with each other and we have figured out who the second mom of the group is! Trunchbull is always trying to clean someone, is breaking up little play fights, and always runs over when another kitten starts to cry. I'll have to get pictures and then update on everyone's personalitys sometime this weekend.
Little Owen is a week and 4 days. His eyes are open and is finally keeping up with the bigger kittens and not being pushed off a nipple. When I look in the nest to make sure everyone is okay sometimes I have look again to find him because he is starting to not look so little next to everyone else.