Marty is driving me nuts he is picky help

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you really should take your cat to a vet to check her out.
I have found with my cats - that often a "picky" eater - will be that way because they have pain when they eat
I have been working with one of my cats who was a picky eater for several months during/after a bout with worms.  I have increased his appetite tremendously by feeding him ANY food that tempts him.  Started him with Baby Food (eg. Gerber's Stage 1 Chicken & Gravy, Beef & Gravy).  Babyfood has often worked for me - I believe because it's easy going down, and easy to digest, as it is already "liquified".  I also added pumpkin to the babyfood, to help soothe intestines - just in case.  He seemed to like it.   I also gave him some Pepcid AC. as approved by vet.  (If he had been having pain, the Pepcid and the pumpkin may have taught him that he could eat without pain.)
Then, I progressed him to Paper-thin sliced Roast beef.  Even Tuna (which is not great as a regular diet item)
And, then, raw ground beef.   
     You need to be careful with raw meats, though.  Especially if they are from warm regions - as they can contain carry worms eggs/larvae (Fluke worms are common in warm climates.  I even had a cat in New York
     who was "infested" with Fluke Worms. I believe this can be avoided if meat is frozen first - but - check this out with your vet or on the internet.
     Also, when I feed straight meats (Raw or Cooked) - I add some powdered

Calcium Citrate - because the meats contain a lot of phosphorous - which need to be balanced with calcium.  Otherwise, the
     overload of phosphorous can cause calcium to be pulled out of the bones.  Check with your vet or on the internet for dosages.

I have also been giving him in his food - probiotics, and powdered B-Complex Vitamins and Methylcobalamin B12 (a more usable form of B12) - which stimulate the appetite naturally.  I have a feeling that the B Vitamins added to food by Pet Food Companies - are added BEFORE they are cooked.  Heat destroys B vitamins! 

Once I got him used to eating more - he also began eating regular cat foods that he had been refusing/just nibbling on previously.  .

Please avoid feeding any foods containing CARRAGEENAN.   This is known to cause damage to the digestive tract, and, could possibly be upsetting him now if it's in his foods.  (Also, it's extremely carcinogenic).  It is in most canned pet foods (and some yogurts) - even      in premium brands.  (It is also found in many people foods.)
If you get info from the pet food companies - they will tell you that they use the "safe" form.  But, NO form is safe - as - the "safe" form converts to the unsafe form when it encounters stomach acids.
It's often hard to find pet foods without Carrageenan in Supermarkets (and, sometimes in pet stores).  You can check out a large variety of foods - and their ingredients - if you go to sites such as petfooddirect or WAG  .
GOOD LUCK, Jackie Page
[quote

animalpal2014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TO STEWBALL:

Carrageenan is generally used as an emulsifier.  It comes from seaweed, and is very cheap, so food manufacturers like it.

It's also found in many people foods (Especially dairy).

Jackie