Marty is driving me nuts he is picky help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marty will not eat for 3 days on his own if I stick to one food he done that once i will have to force him to eat it and if he eats the one food he has more issues with his intestines

Foods he has ate all of it in a 30 or so span
Luvsom forgot flavor
Fancy feast kitten

Food he will eat half or some of it note he eats less then 2 oz's of it in one day
Kroger
Forever pals
Natural balance
Friskies
Raw meat
Cooked meat
Sheba

Foods he won't touch
Iams
Hills
Science diet
Eggs

There more brands but forgot what it is

Also who asked how much he weighs I'm not positive on that I think 4 lbs? But that's a guess I think he needs to weight 7 to be good

Last edited:

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have much in the way of a food suggestion, but your picture of your himalayan cat reminds me so much of my cat Nina, also pictured here. She was injured and starving when I found her on a rural back road and couldn't find her owners. So I had her for going on 9 years, though she was diagnosed with severe kidney disease early on. I loved that cat, what a kooky sweet girl she was. 
Who's Himalayan ? Mine?

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that Marty has a sinus problem to where he can't smell very well - or not at all?  I have this problem with my cat - Shadow - he has bouts of sinus congestion and when he can't smell the food he won't eat. I have to feed him with a syringe at times. I have seen the suggestions of getting food with a strong smell or adding something to the food  - for instance one suggestion was to sprinkle fish food flakes on the food to increase the smell. I have pureed together sardines and a can of shrimp/salmon cat food - but the smell still isn't strong enough for Shadow  - so I am feeding him with a syringe to keep him from having further issues. He has been sick with sinus and a respiratory infection. Maybe give the stronger smelling food idea a try. Hope Marty does well.
No he don't have a smelling issue I could be in the kitchen cooking plan hamburger and I see Marty on the sofa smelling the air facing my way he can smell fine I even tried raw and cooked hamburger on him because I thought he would like it because he was smelling the air and ate a little and walked off

cat pal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was referring to the picture of the himalayan cat in fingerlakes avatar photo, a sweetie, reminds me of my cat Nina.

I haven't read this whole thread, but here's what has been helpful in stimulating the appetite of my cat Vivian when she has been sick:

Add tuna juice,  or tuna water made from boiling tuna in water and straining, to food.

Mix fortiflora in with food. It is a probiotic but also an appetite enhancer apparently because it tastes really good.

Hills A/D for critical care. When my cat came home from thyroid surgery they sent her home with some of this to encourage eating b/c she had lost a lot of weight. I don't know if it's for long term feeding.

I have recently had to make a complete diet change for my 2 cats to try and treat intestinal disease in one. One of the cats was not pleased with the switch and waited and teased for the old food.

After a while he got the message that the old food was not coming back, and he got hungry, and now he eats but does not love the new food. 

Also, my cat Vivian never eats more than a spoonful or less of food in one sitting, so food is available for her to have several smaller meals throughout the day.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I get my fortiflora at chewy.com.  Other than that, the limited ingredient diets worked really well for my kitty with IBD.  I would try the turkey first bec. it's usually cheaper than the other kinds.  Brands are:  Nature's Variety, Blue Buffalo, sure there are more but can't list them off the top of my head.

cat pal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would add that I agree with the poster who said that switching from one food to the next and the next so rapidly is actually likely to worsen intestinal symptoms. When I made a diet switch I had to do the transition slowly over the course of several weeks, progressing from 1/4 new food to 1/3 new food to 1/2 and so on. Otherwise I know from experience that my cat Willis would have had intestinal upset, and he's not even the one currently having the serious intestinal problems. All the rapid switching of foods upsets your cat's digestive system just as if you were to suddenly change your own diet from say a non-dairy to high dairy or low fiber to high fiber = ouch!

cats5

Nicky
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Chelsea just had thyroid surgery last week but as far as eating, she has a very good appetite now & cleans her bowl & sometimes the other cats bowls as well if they happen to leave anything in them (normally not). She had gotten down to 8 lbs but I think she has gained some back & I'm so happy to see her eat & feel good, too. She gets her sutures out on Monday & I will get her bloodwork rechecked at that time, too. Normally I feed Wellness but I sometimes I give them the Tiki cat food or Lotus or Wild Calling as a special treat. My Rachel who is hyperthyroid who will be 21 yrs old in May, she eats frequently thru-out the day so I give her whatever she wants as she eats small amounts but very often. Her wish is my command!!!

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was referring to the picture of the himalayan cat in fingerlakes avatar photo, a sweetie, reminds me of my cat Nina.
I haven't read this whole thread, but here's what has been helpful in stimulating the appetite of my cat Vivian when she has been sick:
Add tuna juice,  or tuna water made from boiling tuna in water and straining, to food.
Mix fortiflora in with food. It is a probiotic but also an appetite enhancer apparently because it tastes really good.
Hills A/D for critical care. When my cat came home from thyroid surgery they sent her home with some of this to encourage eating b/c she had lost a lot of weight. I don't know if it's for long term feeding.
I have recently had to make a complete diet change for my 2 cats to try and treat intestinal disease in one. One of the cats was not pleased with the switch and waited and teased for the old food.
After a while he got the message that the old food was not coming back, and he got hungry, and now he eats but does not love the new food. 
Also, my cat Vivian never eats more than a spoonful or less of food in one sitting, so food is available for her to have several smaller meals throughout the day.
We're do I get Hills A/D ?

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hills A/D is not a mantenance diet. Just sayin'.  Its a diet for a cat who has been ill to help stimulate his interest in food. 

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering on the A/D food because I wanted to mix like a spoon or so in his wet to get him to eat

whenever i get to petco i'm going to get natures variety LID and soulistic wets and a few other brands for him

lorraine23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
have you tried nutrisavour by proplan my cat has been on it for couple of weeks now and is loving it he is usually very fussy and wont eat dry food but totally loves this range and I have noticed how healthy his coat is looking

fingerlakes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I don't have much in the way of a food suggestion, but your picture of your himalayan cat reminds me so much of my cat Nina, also pictured here. She was injured and starving when I found her on a rural back road and couldn't find her owners. So I had her for going on 9 years, though she was diagnosed with severe kidney disease early on. I loved that cat, what a kooky sweet girl she was. 
Wow, she definitely looks like mine for sure! I got my Lola from a rescue. She is 5 and is FIV positive. Nobody wanted her. My last cat passed away almost a year ago. I have no more pets other than a Parrot, so I gave her a good home. I'm trying to be real healthy with what I give her, so it's been a challenge, but I have found that if I wait long enough she will eventually eat what I put down. I've been giving her some higher end wet foods and also making some home made stuff with lots of vitamins and nutrients. She likes that stuff better than the canned stuff....and poops a lot less.  Bonus! 

Last edited:

moddycat28

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there. Is it possible that Marty may not be able to smell his food? I had a picky eater and I found out from the vet that my ModdyCat couldn't smell his food, unless it was really stinky. Now, he eats like a banshee!!

animalpal2014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, you really should take your cat to a vet to check her out.

I have found with my cats - that often a "picky" eater - will be that way because they have pain when they eat.

I have been working with one of my cats who was a picky eater for several months during/after a bout with worms.  I have increased his appetite tremendously by feeding him ANY food that tempts him.  Started him with Baby Food (eg. Gerber's Stage 1 Chicken & Gravy, Beef & Gravy).  Babyfood has often worked for me - I believe because it's easy going down, and easy to digest, as it is already "liquified".  I also added pumpkin to the babyfood, to help soothe intestines - just in case.  He seemed to like it.   I also gave him some Pepcid AC. as approved by vet.  (If he had been having pain, the Pepcid and the pumpkin may have taught him that he could eat without pain.)
Then, I progressed him to Paper-thin sliced Roast beef.  Even Tuna (which is not great as a regular diet item) 

And, then, raw ground beef.   

You need to be careful with raw meats, though.  Especially if they are from warm regions - as they can contain carry worms eggs/larvae (Fluke worms are common in warm climates.  I even had a cat in New York

who was "infested" with Fluke Worms. I believe this can be avoided if meat is frozen first - but - check this out with your vet or on the internet.

Also, when I feed straight meats (Raw or Cooked) - I add some powdered Calcium Citrate - because the meats contain a lot of phosphorous - which need to be balanced with calcium.  Otherwise, the

overload of phosphorous can cause calcium to be pulled out of the bones.  Check with your vet or on the internet for dosages.

I have also been giving him in his food - probiotics, and powdered B-Complex Vitamins and Methylcobalamin B12 (a more usable form of B12) - which stimulate the appetite naturally.  I have a feeling that the B Vitamins added to food by Pet Food Companies - are added BEFORE they are cooked.  Heat destroys B vitamins! 

Once I got him used to eating more - he also began eating regular cat foods that he had been refusing/just nibbling on previously.  .

Please avoid feeding any foods containing CARRAGEENAN.   This is known to cause damage to the digestive tract, and, could possibly be upsetting him now if it's in his foods.  (Also, it's extremely carcinogenic).  It is in most canned pet foods (and some yogurts) - even      in premium brands.  (It is also found in many people foods.)
If you get info from the pet food companies - they will tell you that they use the "safe" form.  But, NO form is safe - as - the "safe" form converts to the unsafe form when it encounters stomach acids.

It's often hard to find pet foods without Carrageenan in Supermarkets (and, sometimes in pet stores).  You can check out a large variety of foods - and their ingredients - if you go to sites such as petfooddirect or WAG  .

GOOD LUCK, Jackie Page

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Animal pal
I'm going to get him wet food when I can get to petco that don't have carrageen ,gur gum ,all the other gums ,grains etc probably natures variety lid wet not sure yet :)

animalpal2014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guar gum is OK. 

Nature's Variety is good.  But, in NYC, Petco doesn't carry many canned cat foods that don't contain Carrageenan.

Another brand they do carry that is good - is Soulistic.  Made in Thailand - where they have strict food regulations. (Made by same company as Weruva.)

However - most of their foods contain fish.  Varieties that don't are their Chicken Karma, Nine-Liver Chcken, and the chicken one that contains pumpkin (I forget the name).

I don't give fish to my cats, except occasionally - as it is not a natural food for them.  Cats do not digest or metabolize fish well.  (And, most all ocean fish is radioactive from the Fukishma leakage.  Farm-raised fish - especially salmon - contain high levels of carcinogens).

(But, if fish will encourage your cat to eat - go for it, at least temporarily)  I even avoid foods containing fish oils because of carcinogens.)

If you go to petfooddirect and wag sites - you can find brands such as Evanger's, Petguard, and more - which offer varieties that don't contain Carrageenan.   Even if you don't order from them - You can check ingredients on their sites.  You need to check ingredients on each label, as even companies that don't have Carrageenan in all their foods - have it in some of them.

And, both sell Nature's Variety for much less than Petco. (Especially when they have Special Promos. it's good to sign up for them.)

Although, you have to order by the case.  There are other sites on the internet that will sell by the can - more expensive, but good for tryouts.

(PS: Less commonly found, but also carcinogenic - is Ethoxyquin)

PS:  I sometime add a small amount of butter (unsalted) to my cats foods.  It contains Omega 3's.  My cats like it, and, butter is good for cats.

Jackie

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The brands I was going t get is

I also want to try the natures variety LID with raw bits in it as a treat since he likes crunchy things

Natures variety LID