Mackerel has Acute Renal Failure

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad there has been some good news - could they try a dieuretic (sp?) on her, to help with the fluid, as it doesn't seem to be going away? I would also ask about the food as well. Good luck, and i hope the vet can give you some positive answers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She looked SO much better today!!! She's lost probably half of the water she was retaining, it's mostly settled in her legs now and some still on her chest. They say that they can't put her on any more drugs because they might damage her kidneys, which for obvious reasons we want to avoid, lol. The food is probably the problem- although she's eating a little, she's not eating as much as they want her to be. The vet says that when she starts eating better the water should go down much more quickly. I told them today about her love of raw salmon steak as a very special treat and they say they'll get some in tomorrow and see if she eats it. I <3 this new vet.

So, although they're still concerned about the lack of appetite and the water retention, the overwhelming message today was positive. The vet said: she's not out of the woods yet, but she's on the right path.

Also- just a further recommendation as to how brilliant these guys are, we talked some more about billing today. Originally they quoted me $300 - $1000 AUD for Mackerel's treatment. There was some mention today about the fact that she will probably be in the vet hospital for a while. I asked how that would affect our bill, and they said that no matter how long she stays with them or what treatment they have to do, it wont go over $1000. Apparently they don't charge for food or board or monitoring or anything, just for drugs and tests. Given that she has already been at the vet for over a week now and K says she'll be there for a while still, that's a huge weight off my mind.

Anyone in Perth, Australia... Hanly Vet clinic are AWESOME.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, I was SO afraid of opening this thread! and SO happy I did!!! This is FANTASTIC news!!! In all aspects!! I am not sure if they have it in there, but maybe they have Hills A/D in the office? It is a great food, very palatable, and kitties in general love it - a lot of them will gobble it down when they are not eating anything... Also very nutritious and excellent for caged kitties in recovery (it is a recovery food specially formulated for those situations...)

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She didn't actually like the Hill A/D too much when I was giving that to her before she went to the vets. I've told them that she ate that when she didn't eat anything else, and I think they're trying to mix it up and give her that along with a variety of different things....

Hopefully the raw salmon will tempt her. XD Also told them about her penchant for roast chicken.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear Mackerel is still improving!
And you're right, you seem to have found a very special vet.
Continued healing coming to your special girl.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OK - we're not there yet - but that is VERY encouraging news. I'm busting smiles for you! I KNOW this is agony - but really, having her in SUCH competent, caring, and wonderful care must REALLY help you through this!

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, Mackerel's doing ok today. About the same, and they're going to run blood tests tomorrow.

My friend wrote this sonnet for Mack and I.
Thought I'd share it here with you guys- if you want to know the poet's name whisper me and I'll let you know. XD

Your feline friend, like all their kind, will lie
In sunshine beams that spray across the floor,
And wait 'till sounds of footsteps multiply
Then idle suddenly behind the door.
You will appear, the daily chore was long
And comfort's on the forefront of your mind -
And true, your feline friend just smiles a song
Of miaows and purrs - its offer to be kind.
You reach out to your friend - alas, aloof!
They scamper out of sight to spark a chase.
But then, hussar! They make you look the goof
By pouncing on you for a warm embrace.
So with a hug, and probably a sob,
Your feline friend knows it has done its job.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am glad that things are looking better, and what a fantastic vet they seem.

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I have some great news.

Mackerel might be coming home this week!

The adema's totally gone, her creatnine levels are good, her anemia and urea levels seem to be getting better. She's still not 100% out of the woods, and she may take a turn for the worse now that she's not on the extra medications and not getting water from the adema... but hopefully (fingers crossed!) she'll be doing well enough to come home with me on Wednesday or Thursday!

I haven't spoken to the vet, but my friend K says that in terms of after care she'll be on medication for the rest of her life. I'll update you guys about other after care stuff when I speak to the vet on Monday- he said before that she may have a shortened lifespan and may not ever gain much weight, but... well....

I'M GETTING MY MACKEREL HOME! -dancedance-

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mackarel is coming home!!!!

My goodness!!! That is fantastic news! If I tell you that I was holding on the mouse and praying... waiting to finish my prayer (and I don't usually pray, I am not religious
) so scared to open this thread - then to read these beautiful, beautiful news, it is just wonderful!
As far as her lifespan.... Well... that nobody really knows for sure.... So, enjoy your girl's homecoming!!!!
:vibes :

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so tickled by Mackerel's improvemnt! Hope by this time next week she's snoozing happily in your arms. Sending more of those healing to your little girl, and a big (((hug))) to you!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am glad to hear they think she will be well enough to come home this week, fantastic news.