Lucas could have hyperthyroidism, I need some info please....

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm just so glad that Lucas doens't have thyroid problems, that will be to much for him and me to handle.  It is a blessing:)  I'm at peace now.

Hugs, TAmmy
Tammy - I just typed out a LONG reply and it got deleted...... :argh: Anyway - I just love the two words you used Blessing and Peace. YES - it is a blessing that Lucas does not have Hyperthyroid and YES - you must be at peace with this news as I am feeling that too. There is nothing worse when our babies are suffering with multiple health issues all at the same time. BUT you know what - no matter what comes along with your Lucas - you will be able to handle it and manage it - no matter what. It amazes me the strength we have when roadblocks appear in our way. Somehow we just dig down very deep and find a way to handle anything because we really don't have a choice. SO we have to find a way and we do find a way even when things seem so hopeless - we just find hope...... It is not always easy - but come rain or shine we pull through for our babies.... Lucas is very lucky to have you and that alone will make his life so much better - on so many levels. :heart3: Sorry if this doesn't make much sense - I tried to retype my thoughts the same as earlier :lol3: I just think you are stronger than you think - because I thought I would never be able to handle health issues with my :heart3: dog, Wilbur. but I found out I was a lot stronger than I thought. :nod: Give Lucas a scritch from me tonight :rub: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: I am just so very happy for this good news :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Lauren, its been crazy and distressing thinking he could have that on top on everything else.  He is not a happy boy right now, he is not feeling well and I'm thinking of giving him a higher dose of prednisolone for a few days to see if it helps, he has been having tremors again at night, don't know why, but it helps when I give him the anxiety drops , so I"m doing that. 

But on the bright side, he has been eating very well, he eats all his natural canned food mixed with water of course and he hasn't been vomiting.  He is still scratching his body.  In some areas his hair is growing back, but then he starts scratching again and he don't allow his skin to heal.  Dont  know what to do about his stress, but I'm working on it.

Thank you for your beautiful words, I appreciate them so much!  Lucas loves me and I love him soooo much, he deserves all I do for him and then more, he is an angel;)

Tammy

finnlacey

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Tammy, I'm new here but I just wanted to ask if you've gotten your vet to let you give him the pred every day instead of every other day. That's obviously not working and I'm wondering why he wants it done that way? There is another steroid that a lot of kitties on my website use that does not get filtered by the liver. It's Entocort (budesonide), and some kitties do MUCH better on it. Also, is he able to take anything for his nausea? I'm sorry if you've already stated this, I tried to read through all the posts. Nausea is such a huge part in all of these diseases and it does a number on their appetite. Also, did the vet ever give you an appetite stimulant for when he's having an awful day like that and won't eat? As one of the other posters said, it's IMPERATIVE he eat enough calories. Especially with his health conditions. Poor little guy, so much going on in his body!

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello!  Yes, I forgot to say that I did talk to the vet about the prednisolone and he told me to give it to him everyday.  He told me to give him 5mg everyday for now and then start giving him less of it once he gets better. We've been through this so many times, not so long ago Lucas was doing so well that he was on 2.5mg every other day and he was doing just fine, then out of the blue, he gets sick again.  Now we have to start all over. 

He  is eating well now, but he has his bad days.  No he hasn't prescribed apetie stimulants because normally Lucas eats and drinks well.  He hasn't vomited today, I think not having the pred everyday was also causing him to vomit.

I haven't heard of that medicine, I could ask the vet about it.

Thank you !

Tammy 

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Tammy, I thought this was very interesting, and might be something worthy discussing with your vet - check it out:
http://www.thecatsite.com/t/241363/flovent-spray-used-differently-than-most

My kitty has been biting and licking his lower abdomen and inside of his hind legs. His diet has been changed to a diffferent brand, different flavor, and grain free wet canned food. I comb him for fleas each day, and he has been to the vet. I'm supposed to pick up some Flovent to spray on his skin as a treatment. This spray is normally for kittys with asthma, which peaked my interest as to how effective it is, when used in a different way, almost like an ointment you rub on the skin. Anyone heard of this? Safe? I'm also supposed to begin giving benadryl each day. How long is benadryl safe to consume day after day?
They are using Flovent, which is a steroid inhalant used for kitty asthma, as a spray for the skin lesions similar to the ones Lucas has! It might be something to try here..... Since flovent is as safe an gentle that can be breathed in.... it is also gentle enough for the skin.... This might be god for Lucas!

Last edited:

momto4kitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wow! that is interesting!  Thanks for sharing, I will  check it out and I will discuss it with my vet.  I could just try it on my lucas, I don't think it will hurt to try.  I did noticed that lucas does get better when he is relaxed and away from my other kitties, but he does itch and he needs something for his skin.

Thanks again! I'm off to read the info :)

Tammy

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just checking in :D!!!!! Sending more :hugs: to you, Tammy. AND many more vibes to Lucas today... I think of you both often :heart3: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am SO glad this situation is getting better for you. 
I've been following this from the outset and I was a bit worried for you guys.  My best to you