Lola's fight with Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma (I'm going to say goodbye to my cat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, Antonio,

I am so very sorry. You will get through this! Lola will want you to! She does not want you to be sad!!

Hugs,

Mia

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just read the replies and need to go back and read Lola's story again, wow, hit twice.  She certainly is a strong gal.

I'm glad to hear you report that she's engaged and alert.  It will be a roller coaster no doubt, just hang in there you're doing great, Lola's a lucky gal.

Be strong.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is quite a history... at least you are both hanging in there.  I know what you mean by not the happy ending one would hope for, but at the same time, caring for our darlings becomes an addiction. After Alex passed we thought we would not have another cat for a while... but caring for her consumed so much of our lives and we felt lost without her.  Within a few months, we had another special needs cat, and wouldn't trade her for the world.

I will be keeping you and Lola in our thoughts and prayers.  When Alex began actively dying I struggled with whether I was wrong to let her suffer - only she reaffirmed daily that she did not want to die.  When she stopped eating, I worried about whether I should make her eat... it felt like I was starving her, but just always be mindful, you didn't cause her disease, and you cannot cure her disease...their should never be guilt on your part!  With Alex I felt pressured to euthanize her, from the vet, from my coworkers, from family... and I am still so mad at that!  How can that be wrong to allow her to die naturally?  I assure, I know my cat, and she did not want to be released from her suffering... she wanted us to accompany her on her journey. 

Alex always perked up after her fluids too, but I seem to remember reading something about the fluid treatments putting more strain on her heart - so not sure, but that could be the odd reaction you are getting these days.  Hugs and prayers. 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I read your's and Lola's entire story. Amazing.. You are full of Pure LOVE for Lola and your cats.. (((Hugs))

Lola is quite a fighter. Such a strong bond of love between both of you..You are an inspiration to anyone who loves their cat. WE have to model our behavior on yours.. 

My heart and prayers go out to you, Lola, and your wife.....

((hugs)) 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I wonder if she needs a smaller amount more frequently? My heart kitty angel Floey got 75ml every day instead of 150 every other day. Some cats get 50ml at a time. I noticed in my girl she got hungry after fluids but I don't remember if she got slower.
Hi Foxxycat,

On Friday I gave her only 60 ml instead of the usual 120 ml (two big syringes). It seemed to me that on the following day it was more or less the same thing. Lola was slow and sleepy, so I don't know whether these fluids are giving her some troubles.

I remember that some time ago she got much better and was hungry within an hour or two from the fluids.

On Friday those fluids were much needed because I noticed that her skin wasn't so elastic on her back. Anyway she got much better on Saturday in the afternoon when she was very lively and alert.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow, that is quite a history... at least you are both hanging in there.  I know what you mean by not the happy ending one would hope for, but at the same time, caring for our darlings becomes an addiction. After Alex passed we thought we would not have another cat for a while... but caring for her consumed so much of our lives and we felt lost without her.  Within a few months, we had another special needs cat, and wouldn't trade her for the world.

I will be keeping you and Lola in our thoughts and prayers.  When Alex began actively dying I struggled with whether I was wrong to let her suffer - only she reaffirmed daily that she did not want to die.  When she stopped eating, I worried about whether I should make her eat... it felt like I was starving her, but just always be mindful, you didn't cause her disease, and you cannot cure her disease...their should never be guilt on your part!  With Alex I felt pressured to euthanize her, from the vet, from my coworkers, from family... and I am still so mad at that!  How can that be wrong to allow her to die naturally?  I assure, I know my cat, and she did not want to be released from her suffering... she wanted us to accompany her on her journey. 

Alex always perked up after her fluids too, but I seem to remember reading something about the fluid treatments putting more strain on her heart - so not sure, but that could be the odd reaction you are getting these days.  Hugs and prayers. 
I'm so sorry that you had pressures on how your journey and life with Alex should end. I had some pressures from the vets too at the beginning of February but I chose to ignore them, though in a couple of occasions I was going to follow their advice.

However I don't think that I will be able to have any more cats in the future.  I put too much myself in their care and it's really demanding.

Currently I'm eating only once a day, sleep not more than 5 hours per night (3 hours the last night!), I am feeling the effects of this intense caring on my body. I have lost much weight myself and I believe I have got older than my age in this last 12 months. I feel that I haven't enough strength anymore to care for another needy cat.

The younger cat that I have has some problems herself, so the effort isn't on Lola only, and this other cat also has a long term disease that I will have to follow and take car for the rest of her life. At the end of it all I will be totally consumed.

Thanks for your support!

I read your's and Lola's entire story. Amazing.. You are full of Pure LOVE for Lola and your cats.. (((Hugs))

Lola is quite a fighter. Such a strong bond of love between both of you..You are an inspiration to anyone who loves their cat. WE have to model our behavior on yours.. 

My heart and prayers go out to you, Lola, and your wife.....

((hugs)) 
Please, don't take me as a model for your behavior. Sometimes I think I'm slightly out of control about this and the consequences on my body and health are beginning to show themselves.

Yes, the bond that I and Lola have is something special, some vets told me that they have never seen anything like that before, but I am sure that any of you has a special bond with your cats that isn't the same to any other bond.

Lola is a fighter, but she's old and her strength are fading away...

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On Saturday morning Lola was sleepy, didn't want to wake up and I didn't force her to. So we skipped the first meal in the morning. She woke up around midday, she ate her food in the syringe but she took nearly an hour to get it all, too long a time for a normal meal.

Then she had more food in the afternoon and again shortly before midnight when she was absolutely bright and lively, so much lively that she sneaked out of the door and took a walk in the garden at midnight under the rain

She was still sleepy on Sunday morning, but when she woke up and ate she was a bit quicker than she was on the day before. She had a short walk outside yesterday too.

At late evening I had the biggest scare of the last years!!!

While I was syringe feeding her something went wrong, maybe a wrong move from me or a sudden move from her, I still can't focus it, but her jaw got dislocated! Her jaw was shifted to the left and tilted downwards making it impossible for her to move her jaw or shut the mouth. She was meowing in discomfort and probably in pain and fear.

I and my wife tried all that we could to fix her jaw back in position but every effort and attempts were void and useless.

And while we were desperate and helpless I had in my mind any single word of this thread

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/104418/cat-jaw-dislocated

that I had read on Friday night, I was in total panic, I was all sweaty and I think that I have lost 10 years of my life.

I was determined to rush to the clinic to have someone professional to fix the problem as soon as possible when all of a sudden Lola's jaw went back to its normal position. I don't know how. My legs couldn't stand me anymore, I was shivering head to toes and last night I could hardly fell asleep. I kept seeing that scene before my eyes and right now I'm still deeply shocked!

As a matter of fact in the last few days I had realized that Lola's jaw was slightly moving side to side when I was feeding her. I could presume that trying to open her mouth against her will to put the syringe noozle in it could have been somewhat "damaged" it during every meal.

This morning I was terrorized, I dreaded the moment I had to feed her and was almost going to skip it, but then I decided to have a try and very very gently I gave her some food. Unfortunately this morning Lola wasn't very willing to cooperate and she only took 20 grams of food. I might think that she was still scared from what happened last night, or maybe she was in slight pain for the incident or probably she was still sleepy because the time for the meal wasn't the same as the other mornings (we switched to the DST in the weekend).

Whatever the reason was I chose not to go against her will and stopped feeding her. I am only concerned that she had very little food.

On Saturday morning I went to the clinic and talked to the doctors that know her very well (and know how determined I am) and asked them if the option of an E-tube could be a good idea.

They told me that the idea is good considering that Lola has still a good temper and show a great will to live. The only serious problem is that she's nearly 17, with a kidney disease, a heart failure, FIV+, with a cancer and not in great shape (she's a lot underweight), so the biggest risk of them all would be the anesthesia.

Honestly I don't think we have any chance, she could die during the operation if we follow this option or die from starving if we don't.

Apart from the dreadful feeding moments, she's acting perfectly normal, she follows me around, she curls up on me and purrs when she's happy. She's not meowing too much lately, but we went through this before. Furthermore the situation is slightly worsening.

On the left side of the mouth her lip is getting a little swollen by the day. I don't know if this is the cancer that is spreading from inside to the outside or if it's a callus due to the pressure of the syringe.

The fight goes on.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio,

Oh she is a fighter!!! I bet it's wonderful when she is purring and on your lap.

Hugs,

Mia

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I went home during my lunch break to feed Lola on her syringe, I noticed a crooked tooth in her mouth. I think that the incident occured last night has caused another tooth to break.

The tooth is loose and attached to her mouth only with the gum. I didn't know what to do and to avoid any other problem I went to the clinic.

I have only 60 minutes time for my lunch break, but today I have had to use much more time. Who cares!

They told me that the tooth has to be removed, of course, but that the incident occured is absolutely not normal and should never happen. They suspected a broken jaw bone and made an X-ray of Lola's head that showed nothing wrong.

The tooth could be removed easily, but the gum could bleed a lot. Furthermore they say that the part of bone that holds the tooth is broken too, so the only way to operate her gum is to put Lola on anesthesia. They would like to do two things at the same time, the E-tube could be inserted during the surgery for the tooth.

In order to do that they needed a blood work done, and so they did, they took some blood from Lola and the report should be issued in a few hours.

If it's possible to operate Lola, it will be done tomorrow.

The risks for a surgery on a cat of 17 years of age, with all the troubles she has and with a weight of just 2.450 kg (5.40 lbs) are extremely high, but we have no choice. So I greeted Lola, I kissed her a lot and for the next hours I will be praying and keeping my fingers crossed.

Lola has seen worst moments, but I hope she'll go through this.

The broken tooth in Lola's mouth. I realized of that while I was going to syringe feed her during my break lunch.

Lola in the cage at the clinic. She had been already put on fluids. She was sad because I was going to leave her there.

Photos taken with my smartphone, the quality is low.

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
prayers sent for your special girl. Oh my heart is aching for you.

On further exam of that particular tooth-it looks like it's fractured off at the tip. The fluids will DEFINATELY help. I hope it all works well for your girl. She sure is a fighter. HUGS. Darn it damn allergies making my eyes mist.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Prayers for Lola... and ((hugs)) for you...

The bond between both of you, is incredible. Lola truly loves you and wants to be with you..

Please keep us updated.. poor baby. Hopefully they can medicate her with some pain meds so she can be mad more comfortable.. 

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor sweet Lola.

I do remember when writing about Simon's Journey thinking had I known that this cancer would have effected his teeth, I would have had his eye teeth removed, upper and bottom.  They created issues for him as his jaw shifted due to the tumor, I remember them digging into the roof of his mouth.  That would be great if this tooth falls out naturally.

I'm sure the doctor will give her pain meds so she won't be uncomfortable.

Lola's face is that of an angel.  I am keeping positive thoughts for you and your girl.

My heart goes out to you all.

Warmest regards, Hope

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

prayers sent for your special girl. Oh my heart is aching for you.

On further exam of that particular tooth-it looks like it's fractured off at the tip. The fluids will DEFINATELY help. I hope it all works well for your girl. She sure is a fighter. HUGS. Darn it damn allergies making my eyes mist.
Foxxycat,

If you look closely at the picture of the tooth you will see that the tip is missing, but that fracture is years old. You will notice that the tooth is sideways in her mouth. The other teeth are nearly vertical, the top left (in the photo) tooth is broken at the gum level and its tip faces the opposite side of her mouth.

The blood report has arrived, the situation, they say, isn't the best for a surgery, it's rather critical with BUN and creatinine way over the upper limits.

I don't know, I am not feeling that positive this time...

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Prayers for Lola... and ((hugs)) for you...

The bond between both of you, is incredible. Lola truly loves you and wants to be with you..

Please keep us updated.. poor baby. Hopefully they can medicate her with some pain meds so she can be mad more comfortable.. 

The pain meds might be helpful for her tooth, but the worst step is the E-tube. The situation is serious!

Oh, poor sweet Lola.

I do remember when writing about Simon's Journey thinking had I known that this cancer would have effected his teeth, I would have had his eye teeth removed, upper and bottom.  They created issues for him as his jaw shifted due to the tumor, I remember them digging into the roof of his mouth.  That would be great if this tooth falls out naturally.

I'm sure the doctor will give her pain meds so she won't be uncomfortable.

Lola's face is that of an angel.  I am keeping positive thoughts for you and your girl.

My heart goes out to you all.

Warmest regards, Hope
I was prepared to a possible teeth problems in the jaw, but this tooth is in the upper part and in the opposite side from the tumor.

I remember your posts where you mentioned the lower teeth digging in the roof of Simon's mouth, a very sad thing. I cried a lot while reading.

Thanks for your positive support, I hope it works for Lola!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One year ago, today, our nightmare began. One year ago, today, it was Easter.

I and Lola spent our Easter at the clinic to try and understand what the cause of her weakness and illness was, and nothing came out of that visit.

The next day we were there again, no result again.

Today is the 365th day of terrible nightmare for me, but above all for Lola. It would destroy anybody. This is so unfair.

Since then she had dozens of blood tests made, 13 anesthesias, 2 CT scans, 2 X-rays, 10 radiations, 4 ultrasound scans.

She took hundreds tablets and pills, drops, gel, injections.

I don't know how many innocent creatures have undergone such a calvary in such a short time.

Last edited:

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never seen or read of such a heart rendering story.The trauma of what Lola has been going through is impossible to deal with.I praise you both for never ceasing to look for another way to help her.You poses great strength and fortitude. Lola is extraordinary and deserves to have two wonderful people like you to care for her as you have.I know you will make the right decision for her.Whatever you choose to do I understand and support you. The unbelievable and undying love you have shown Lola is remarkable.She loves you so very much for all the care you have given her.I have been following your story,and I want to thank you for sharing it.I know how painful it is for you going through all of this.I am sending out hope,healing and love for you, and precious Lola.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The surgery is going to begin now.
I covered my sweet and brave Lola with hundreds kisses before they took her to the operating room, I told her that I love her so much and that I am proud of her.
Please, pray for her. I feel my heart aching!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio,

I am praying!!! Sweet, brave, Lola!!!

Hugs Mia

Status
Not open for further replies.