Lola's fight with Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma (I'm going to say goodbye to my cat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I will be praying and sending good thoughts for little Lola, while my guy is at his echocardiogram..

Lola loves you--she is such a strong fighter, and so, so, so brave... ((hugs)) and prayers--(((hugs)))

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My thoughts, my prayers, my heart goes out to you and your dear Lola.  I too have been in a situation like yours with a beloved cat.  She came through like a champ!  You do everything you can, as long as you can.   The rest is in God's and the skilled Vet's hands.  Am sending lots of positive thoughts for you and Lola!

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am praying for you and precious Lola.Hope she comes out of this to stay with you.She is a a very strong willed fighter.I am sending positive thoughts, hope,hugs,and love to you and Lola!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No good news, I'm afraid...

Yesterday at 9 am I called the clinic and they told that the surgery was scheduled between 11:00 am and 11:30 am, depending on the previous patient's surgery.

So I left my job at 10:15, 30 minutes drive to the clinic and at 10:45 am I was there. It wasn't time for visiting patients, but they allowed me to the room where all the cages are. Lola was in one of them. she was quite lively but sad because she had spent the night without me. When she realized I was there she started purring loudly, with some gentle headbutts.I cuddled her and told her kind and sweet words, I told her how much I love her and how proud of her I am.

I and Lola have a wonderful communication, she understands most of or nearly everything I say to her and she has her own way of replying and telling me things. For the first time in her life before something so important she told me she was afraid. I told her to be brave and strong as she has always been in all these years, but she told me again she was afraid and scared. She knows more things than I do, I should have got her message.

The vets allowed me stay with her for one hour. They were so kind, they understood the special situation, I'm so grateful to them.

At noon the vet gave Lola the shot to prepare her to the anesthesia and she told me to be prepared for the worse because Lola's physical situation wasn't the best.

After 40 minutes someone came to me and told me that everything was going fine and not to worry. Good!

But 30 minutes later they called me over to the operating room because things went dramatically wrong!

Lola was lying on a side, unconscious for the anesthesia that had been very strong. Lola had had two respiratory arrests following the end of the surgery, the first one when they were going to take her back to her cage, they took her back to the operating room to intubate her to force her to breathe. The second arrest occured a few minutes later!

During the surgery for the E-tube they realized that the cancer that Lola has in her mouth has grown down to her throat and has reduced the room for swallowing and breathing. I hadn't noticed nothing different at home, Lola was breathing regularly and had no troubles even when she was sleeping curled up. Even her meow hadn't changed. But in hindsight this might explain why lately she was struggling with the syringe feeding...

The E-tube that they have placed has reduced the passage for the air to her lungs, hence the respiratory arrests.

The doctors told me that if we hadn't had to do that surgery I would have surely noticed something bad in less than two weeks time, when Lola would have shown trouble at breathing and/or she had died suffocated.

I think that they were trying to say to me that one or two weeks is the time left to Lola if she survives this emergency.

Further updates were given to me in the following hours until 5:15 pm when they allowed me to see her in her cage, with fluids in her veins, oxygen mask on her beautiful face, infrared lamp to keep her warm, along with disposable gloves filled with hot water all along and around her tiny body.

The doctor told me that that one of the two respiratory arrests had been particularly long and had caused a hypoxia, a lack of oxygen to her brain and this might have caused some damages. Some possible symptoms could be the fact tat she wasn't able to breathe normally and the altered body thermoregulation. Her body temperature was so low that their thermometers weren't able to measure it. Possibly it was below 34°C (93°F).

Some other vets criticized me for what I had done to Lola. They told me off for keeping her alive against all rules of the nature and that I'm doing extreme and unnatural things. In their eyes I'm almost a monster!

I wonder whether it is human to scold someone who is already in a painful situation, with tears in their eyes.

I was allowed to stay with her till 6 pm. I cuddled her and talked to her like I did in the morning, but this time she wasn't reacting, she was in a semi-coma, her breathing was weird and slow, 12-14 times per minute. The vet told me that probably she was able to feel what was going on around her and that probably she was hearing my voice, but wasn't able to react.

My words were filled with love, I told her that I Iove her very much, that I'm proud of living with such a sweet creature for so long time, that she was the best thing ever happened in my life and I thanked her for letting me stay to her side for all her life. I congratulated with her for her amazing strength in facing so many hard situations and travelling so many miles without any fear. I told her she is the most beautiful cat in the world, no cat has been more beautiful and no cat will be. These are the words that I've been telling her all her life, everyday!

When I left the clinic they told me that in case of emergency they would have called me any time, so when I was home I kept the phone next to me at any moment.

So far they haven't called me yet, but later this morning I will call them to have fresh news of Lola.

I wish to thank you all for your strong support and prayers.

I had taken photos of Lola yesterday before and after the surgery, but out of respect for her I won't publish them, you will excuse me on this.

Lola has always been a discreet and low profile cat, I am sure she wouldn't like to be exposed in such a bad moment of her life.

The fight goes on!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my gosh I haven't kept up on this thread since the beginning days!

SHAME on the vets who had anything but support for your fight and love for your precious baby.

That was unprofessional of them, rather heartless.......

We'll see what is to come now.

Hoping for the very best, adding some quality time to her life and time with you. 

If it doesn't turn out to be, you will know you did everything in your power for her, as long as she was willing to fight, ultimately it will be her decision regardless, when she has no more fight left..

Last edited:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio,

I hope she can pull out of this, I am so sorry about what the vets said to you.

Hugs for you and darling, brave, Lola.

Mia

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catwoman and Mia, thanks for your words of support.

I have had fresh news from the clinic.

Overnight Lola has improved a lot, she can stand up in the cage, walks around and acts normally, they say.

In the morning they checked her blood pressure and temperature and they were both normal. Lola has been administered her meds and has received her food with the E-tube.

It is highly likely that she'll be sent back home today after 6 pm CET.

At that time I will be there at the clinic. If she can come home, we'll be the two of us in the car driving back home. If she can't, then I will stay with her as long as possible.

I'm glad she is alright, I'm thankful to God and all of you that have prayed for her. Your strength in these moments have helped us a lot.

Nonetheless this could be a short-lived victory because the mass in her throat could be soon leading to troubles if the vets are right...

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Antonio,

She is such a fighter!!! I think she wants to go home, dear baby girl.

Hugs,

Mia

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so pleased to learn the vet thinks sweet Lola may be able to go home with you.  

I'm glad they got food in her belly to fatten her up.

It's never easy as you know, but I have to say, you're doing such a wonderful job taking care of this sweet angel.

I look forward to an update later.

Nothing but Positive Thoughts & Prayers for you and your girl.

Be strong my TCS Friend, Warmest regards, Hope

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lola's spirit has won over so many hearts. She really is  special girl and her love for you is making her fight for every day. She has the heart of a lion. 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Lola loves you so much.. she wants to come home with you. I am writing this with tears.. Know that we are there with you in spirit. The miles separating us are many, but we have come to love both you and Lola.. 

Sweet baby Lola... strong, strong, strong, lovely little girl. 

(I understand your communication with her)

BTW, those Vets who chastised you are NOT Humane!!

Last edited:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Keep Fighting Sweet Lola!!

Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

From The Poems of Dylan Thomas, published by New Directions. Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji] 1952, 1953 Dylan Thomas. Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji] 1937, 1945, 1955, 1962, 1966, 1967 the Trustees for the Copyrights of Dylan Thomas. Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji] 1938, 1939, 1943, 1946, 1971 New Directions Publishing Corp. Used with permission.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think Lola will come home with you.  Be strengthened by all here who are with you in spirit.  Tell Lola of all the people here rooting (and praying) for her.

Lola, and you are an inspiration to us all! 

kittylove53

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am hopeful that your beloved Lola will come back home with you.Lola is such a lucky kitty to have such devoted humans caring for her every need.Do not feel bad about what the other vets said to you.All of us here totally understand how much you love Lola.Lola knows that you are trying to help her as best as you can.Sending hugs to you both.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lola's home.

But she's isn't exactly at her best...

Yesterday I went to the clinic right after work. When I arrived at the clinic all the staff told me that they were astounded, amazed and surprised by her quick recovery. They said that they had never seen anything of that kind, and Lola must have more than the usual 9 lives. The day before they were going to declare her dead, now she was rather lively. She had eaten something during the day, she also took her meds via the E-tube.

All parameters were alright, she was able to go home.

We put Lola into her carrier and proceeded to the counter for paying.

While I was waiting for my turn and shortly before I talked to the woman at the desk Lola slowly fell down on a side and wouldn't react to anything.

The woman at the desk rushed and called a doctor who saw Lola and took her quickly to a room where they checked her functions. All seemed alright, only a possible slow heart beat.

Probably Lola had a collapse while we were in the waiting room.

I wonder what I could have done if that happened when we were already halfway home or at home or during the night!

So just to be safe they held her in observation for another hour and then they decided we could go home. I told them that if it was necessary to leave her there for another night it was alright for me, but they refused.

Once home Lola was very very weak and failed to stand for more than 30 seconds. She was so sleepy. She has lost more weight, yesterday she was 2.350 kg (5.17 lbs), she was 2.450 kg on Monday and around 2.600 kg a week or two before. She walks head down, probably for the bandage around her neck. She drools a lot, she wasn't drooling that much before we went to the clinic on Monday.

I called the clinic and they told that it is normal if in the next days she sleeps much more than usual. They also told me to make sure that Lola doesn't get excited or upset by anything and to make sure she doesn't make too much exercise. All these actions could require an increased air demand and at the moment her breathing ability is seriously impaired by the mass that is growing in her throat and the E-tube that runs just next to her airways.

Any action that would lead to an increased air intake could lead to a collapse and/or death.

They also warned me not to be surprised if one of these days Lola, after having welcome me from work, walks around and then suddenly die. The excitement from seeing me could just work as described. I asked them how many days Lola still has to live, but they weren't able to answer that question because, they said, Lola has an uncommon ability to recover from impossible situations, she's absolutely unpredictable. She could have days or months, nobody can tell.

Later last night, when she woke up, I gave her some food into her E-tube. I have to say that the procedure is a little more complicated than with the PEG. When I remove the cap at the end of the tube there was some regurgitation from her stomach and I coudn't stop it, so at 11 pm I called back the clinic and they told me that probably Lola has a very slow digestion and her stomach doesn't empty enough even after some hours from the previous meal.

The same thing happened this morning, but I managed to find a trick to prevent this. She had two meals this morning, one at 6:30 am (15 grams) and another one at 8:15 am (10 grams), then she went back to sleep and while she was sleeping she suddenly woke up and regurgitated some drops of food.

This is not good at all. If the regurgitated food goes the wrong way she could choke!

Her breathing is noisy, like she is snoring. I fear that her airways are a little too clogged up by the tumor growing around her trachea and esophagus and by the tube.

I saw her in distress this morning and I am preparing for the worst... She had other very bad moments in the past few months, that's for sure, and she always came out of them, but this time I don't see too many chances. I will keep an eye on her in the next three or four days. She has never been bad for more than three days, I think that this is the limit I have to keep in mind.

I was sure that she would hang in there until her 17th birthday, on May 15th. Or that she wanted to leave us on April 23rd, the day when her brother died from a car accident. She loved her brother to bits, I thought she wanted to meet him again on that day, but probably she won't make it.

The fight goes on, but we have fewer and fewer weapons...

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Keep Fighting Sweet Lola!!

Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

From The Poems of Dylan Thomas, published by New Directions. Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji] 1952, 1953 Dylan Thomas. Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji] 1937, 1945, 1955, 1962, 1966, 1967 the Trustees for the Copyrights of Dylan Thomas. Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji] 1938, 1939, 1943, 1946, 1971 New Directions Publishing Corp. Used with permission.
Wonderful peom, moved me to tears!

Thanks a million, Mia!

Status
Not open for further replies.