Litter Box Changes?

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been using a disposable aluminum pan for a litter box and while it's worked well while he's younger, I'd like to get him into a bigger permanant box (translastion: he's playing with it: biting through the pan and throwing litter all over) and get the works moved out of the kitchen. My preferred location for the litter box would be downstairs in a bathroom or the laundry room. I'd also like to make the move to clumping litter eventually but not right now since he's playing in it.

How would you suggest going about making these changes so that things go smoothly? He's used the box consistently so I don't want to mess things up.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pippen

I have been using a disposable aluminum pan for a litter box and while it's worked well while he's younger, I'd like to get him into a bigger permanant box (translastion: he's playing with it: biting through the pan and throwing litter all over) and get the works moved out of the kitchen. My preferred location for the litter box would be downstairs in a bathroom or the laundry room. I'd also like to make the move to clumping litter eventually but not right now since he's playing in it.

How would you suggest going about making these changes so that things go smoothly? He's used the box consistently so I don't want to mess things up.
I would recommend a permanant litterbox on each floor of your home. That will reduce the chances of accidents.

Katie

junior67

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
for now try putting a box in both locations so he gets used to the location downstairs where you want it. Keep the upstairs one as the pan for now and the downstairs one as a reg. litter box. after he goes upstairs move that poo into the downstairs one and show him it is there. I would wait a bit (depending on age) to move it completely downstairs. I have a small house but my cats LOVE the basement (1/2 finished) which is the only spot we have a box or my kids and dogs would be playing in it. But if he is young it may take a bit for him to understand he needs to get downstairs to go.