Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Good night everyone. I hope you all sleep like cats this evening. Since we are usually up by 5 am, I have to get my butt in bed.
I used to have to do that for 18 years, then drive for 25 miles to work, deal with unhappy people all day long, some of them nasty, then drive home another 25 miles in heavy traffic which would take as long as an hour (it's Southern California traffic, folks!) Thank goodness I don't have to do that anymore, I'm retired and can sleep until 8 although it took me over a year to get used to the different hours.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Just checking in. Work has been a bit crazy, feel like my project is exploding in my face this week. Supposed to be 20% complete with test execution today, and we're at a whopping 0% after three whole days. Just a variety of issues. It's a bit maddening spending your entire days working on something and then having to report at the end of each day that you made no progress on your testing. Was on a ton of calls about it.

Looking forward to the weekend. As usual. Tomorrow I'll be calling the manager at my vet and seeing if I can talk them into letting me work there a few hours a week. I'm a bit terrified, which is why I haven't done it already, but she called me this morning and well, I'll be calling back tomorrow.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View media item 354835And on the home front the fire was ferocious today. Ash is falling from the sky like snow. Thump the earth and ask for mercy for those living in the mountains.

View media item 354836
View media item 354837
The sun today
Glad you like it.  I found it in the clearance aisle in a frame shop while waiting for them to finally replace the widow in DH's car.  I just can't walk past a clearance rack.  I find a lot of Christmas gifts there.  I am my mother's daughter.

@Artiemom Your sad story had a wonderful ending.  You saw a problem and brought it to the appropriate person's attention.  You have vastly improved Sunshine's quality of life.  I suspect your caring attitude also contributed to the 10 year old getting adopted.  The person showing the animal gives perspective to the potential adopters.  I was talking to one of the other foster moms at the rescue and she was scary.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
@Handsome Kitty  , Mercy had a ball with the wrapping paper and ribbon. The wonderful smell of somewhere else is wondrous to a cat. They are temporary supervised playthings. One of those magnets clearly states something about shredding. ;)

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

@Handsome Kitty  , Mercy had a ball with the wrapping paper and ribbon. The wonderful smell of somewhere else is wondrous to a cat. They are temporary supervised playthings. One of those magnets clearly states something about shredding. ;)
I have a friend with 2 cats.  Whenever she sends a box, Eclipse is in it and smelling every inch of the box and anything in it.  The people who send things and have dogs . . . . meh.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

sorry you haven't gotten any sleep. Have you tried benedryll? Puts me right out but makes my nose stuffed up so I wake up with a clogged nose. And dry mouth. uggg.

LTS3-glad your kitty is eating and pooping good! I always celebrate these small victories.

Hope you all have a good day.

As far as the coworker-heard more about the details. And my heart is breaking for the family. I have no words. Just tears for the family. I wish we could pay better attention to those around us but even when we ask if they are ok-most people will just say yes I am fine. And lie. So how do we detect this slimy snake called depression?
I'm reaching back in the thread a bit, but....

I did try benedryl yesterday afternoon.  It took awhile but I  conked out hours later and got about 5 hours of sleep.  Maybe the benedryl helped?   Whatever - many thanks to everyone who mentioned it.  I'd forgotten about this obvious sleeping aid. 

EDIT:  somehow I cut off the most important part of my post.   As someone who has struggled a great deal with depression in my own family, I think detecting depression and preventing suicide requires more education, getting rid of the stigma, and increasing available financial, medical and other resources such as housing and job availability.  This is a huge topic and I could go on for hours so I'll just address the one - which is getting rid of the stigma.  There are still far too many people out there who are reluctant to admit to the need for help for fear they will be judged.  And there are far too many people out there who will actually do that judging.   People need to feel it is safe to tell someone they do not feel fine when asked if they feel okay. 

Last edited:

mjandclyde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suppose now would be a great time to post every question I have ever had about Cat (Kappa). Jk

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please forgive me, but I need to rant here. I had to go to work again tonight (after working this morning) and RB, anticipating that I might have trouble focusing on my job, got me an energy drink to take at work if I needed the boost. I did, and it was really sweet of him to get it for me. (He got me a special, caffeine free kind since I'm sensitive to caffeine. I can drink it--I just can't drink very much at one time.) Well, the drink tasted awful. Then, when it began to kick in, I got hit with low-level nausea every time I moved. My head felt fuzzy and I had trouble telling the difference between fives and twos. Point in its favor--I am still very  much awake despite having been off of work for almost an hour. Points against it--taste, effects, and the fact that when I laid down I started to retch. I am never  taking that stuff again. I know that it can't affect (pardon me if that should be "effect" instead) everyone like it did me--or we wouldn't sell any of them. (Yes, my store sells energy drinks just like it.) 
 Thanks for reading my rant. 

Last edited:

mjandclyde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I'm reaching back in the thread a bit, but....

I did try benedryl yesterday afternoon.  It took awhile but I  conked out hours later and got about 5 hours of sleep.  Maybe the benedryl helped?   Whatever - many thanks to everyone who mentioned it.  I'd forgotten about this obvious sleeping aid. 

EDIT:  somehow I cut off the most important part of my post.   As someone who has struggled a great deal with depression in my own family, I think a huge factor in detecting depression and preventing suicide is education, getting rid of the stigma, and increasing available financial, medical and other resources such as housing and job availability.  This is a huge topic and I could go on for hours so I'll just address the one - which is getting rid of the stigma.  There are still far too many people out there who are reluctant to admit to the need for help for fear they will be judged.  And there are far too many people out there who will actually do that judging.   People need to feel it is safe to tell someone they do not feel fine when asked if they feel okay. 
Try taking straight up melatonin. Works like a charm!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

Try taking straight up melatonin. Works like a charm!
Melatonin gives me extremely weird and colorful nightmares for some reason.   I've heard that it has this effect on some other people as well - just my luck to be among this select few!  Thanks for mentioning it, though.  I do wish I could take it!

mjandclyde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Totally forgot about the fifteen word rule. My bad. I'm not actually trying to win anything but if we're babbling I will gladly join!

mjandclyde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Melatonin gives me extremely weird and colorful nightmares for some reason.   I've heard that it has this effect on some other people as well - just my luck to be among this select few!  Thanks for mentioning it, though.  I do wish I could take it!
I use either one of the three: Tylenol PM, Melatonin, and Benadryl. Benadryl makes you drowsy. Tylenol PM makes you sleep longer. Melatonin helps you reset your sleep schedule.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
More normal poop from Emma this morning
Who knew poop was something to get excited about?

Looking at emails from yesterday afternoon. Lots of back and forth emails about today's outing and who's car pooling with whom. No mention of the three of us who can't attend
I don't think anyone knows what time the outing starts either. The lab head's email had no info other than to stop all projects for today because of the outing to the former company's president's house and who would be driving. So much for the HR meeting about lack of communication and to stop having last minute meetings

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

I use either one of the three: Tylenol PM, Melatonin, and Benadryl. Benadryl makes you drowsy. Tylenol PM makes you sleep longer. Melatonin helps you reset your sleep schedule.
also Tylenol PM IS Benadryl- the active ingredient is diphenhydramine hydrochloride or diphenhydramine HCL which I THINK is the same thing- when looking at sleep aids-if you see these two words as active ingredients-its Benadryl.

I only can use unisom with doxylamine succinate as this one is the only one that makes me sleep. the other unisom has the diphen ingredient. Don't fall for gimmick advertising. Active ingredients can sometimes be different measurements of these meds-sometimes they tell the exact measurement and sometimes they don't. I also notice a big difference in generic benedryl vs store brand. walmart brand is useless. rite aid and cvs brand work fine.

I still need to read the rest of the posts after this one above=but wanted to clarify the ingredients as sometimes its misleading when they tell you its a sleeping aid.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

@Artiemom  I am so happy for you and Sunshine! This is great news! Poor kitty, I couldn't keep her out of my mind. Such a loving, gentle girl to be abandoned in such circumstances. If I were in Boston, I would take her myself. Your humane society is wonderful, and I am so glad you alerted the president to this situation. Love on Sunshine for me. 
The President of the Humane Society takes in all the unadaptable kitties. She is wonderful. She truly loves cats and knows how to care for them. She is an elderly person, so she does not work anymore. 

I was on a 'high' last night hearing about this. I may go in and visit Sunshine tomorrow. She will be in the regular adoption area...I have to pass the shelter on my way to pick up Artie's medicine at the Vet's.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Please forgive me, but I need to rant here. I had to go to work again tonight (after working this morning) and RB, anticipating that I might have trouble focusing on my job, got me an energy drink to take at work if I needed the boost. I did, and it was really sweet of him to get it for me. (He got me a special, caffeine free kind since I'm sensitive to caffeine. I can drink it--I just can't drink very much at one time.) Well, the drink tasted awful. Then, when it began to kick in, I got hit with low-level nausea every time I moved. My head felt fuzzy and I had trouble telling the difference between fives and twos. Point in its favor--I am still very  much awake despite having been off of work for almost an hour. Points against it--taste, effects, and the fact that when I laid down I started to retch. I am never  taking that stuff again. I know that it can't affect (pardon me if that should be "effect" instead) everyone like it did me--or we wouldn't sell any of them. (Yes, my store sells energy drinks just like it.) 
 Thanks for reading my rant. 
Many people have similar reactions to energy drinks since these drinks literally overdose the body on several different vitamins, which can make people feel sick. This is the reason the people who drink them every day are in danger. It sucks that you had this reaction though, since they can be helpful once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.