Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am with you on this. It's cool if other people like them and stuff but I myself find them to be very annoying. But that may be because my 90 year old neighbor is an animal hoarder and has 3 dachshunds, 4 pomeranians, 2 miniature poodles, 2 corgis, and 3 shih tzus. None of them are trained and they bark incessantly whenever I walk out into MY yard. I can't even enjoy sitting out on the patio because my neighbor's dogs will just stand at the edge of the fence and bark at me literally for hours, until I go inside. My neighbor is so old that he can barely walk so the dogs don't get exercise, they just run around the yard and yap constantly.
That's definitely a situation that could only make things worse. I like corgis, but they have to be trained to be good dogs. Barking is a big problem with them.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that the weather is getting warmer, Speedy and I will go out daily for our little walk.  I got her a new green harness this year.  We did not have time for a long walk today, but we always check the mail at the road.  I scoop her up, put her under my coat, with just her head sticking out, and proceed to check the mail.  We get many looks from cars going by, I love the ones with children in the car, because I can see them saying, "Look Ma, the lady is checking the mail with a siamese cat"!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
raina21 raina21

I have to wonder if your 90-year-old neighbor might need some help with his dogs. That's a lot of responsibility to care for all those dogs if he can barely walk. Do you know if family members help out?

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I must say that I have never understood the appeal of small dogs. I always had larger dogs though so I've never had enough experience with them. 
Until we had some, we didn't either. Someone had dumped this Taco Bell-looking Chihuahua on a street near where we live. We saw her, scooped her up, and took her home. We'd had other small-ish dogs, but she was the smallest (at the time). We named her Hua, and she was the sweetest little thing. Fell in love with them back them.

Sugar and Honey are yappy little things. But they are SO affectionate, and love their cuddles.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eclipse has found another spot I don't love.  He has this shrub in front that he likes to sit under.  Today he climbed up inside of it.  It's only about 3 ft high but the diameter is 3 - 4 ft and I couldn't see him, just his leash going up into the bush from the bottom.  I wasn't sure how I was going to get him out or even if I could since I couldn't see him, just loose stuff falling.  It's one of those prickly evergreen ones.  He found a plate in there and pushed it out. I have no idea what was on it or where it came from.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Until we had some, we didn't either. Someone had dumped this Taco Bell-looking Chihuahua on a street near where we live. We saw her, scooped her up, and took her home. We'd had other small-ish dogs, but she was the smallest (at the time). We named her Hua, and she was the sweetest little thing. Fell in love with them back them.

Sugar and Honey are yappy little things. But they are SO affectionate, and love their cuddles.
I suspect people who have small dogs love them. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to get one. My grandma had a shi tzu that I absolutely loved. She was the most well behaved dog I ever met. I just can't stand barking. It grates on me.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
raina21 raina21

I have to wonder if your 90-year-old neighbor might need some help with his dogs. That's a lot of responsibility to care for all those dogs if he can barely walk. Do you know if family members help out?
Sarthur2 Sarthur2

His daughter takes care of him. And his wife died a few years ago (I guess his wife was the one who aquired most of the dogs) and left the dogs to him and his daughter. I assume the daughter takes care of the dogs (feeding and cleaning up after them) but the dogs never received training or get formal exercise. They just get to run around their yard (which is pretty small). They don't play with toys either, so all they get to do is chase and bark at each other. They are allowed indoors. In fact they spend most of their time indoors, when you stand outside their door, you can smell that their house smells like dog poo. It's awful and I feel very bad for both the dogs and the humans in that house. The dogs look to be in good condition though. All are well fed and active and I can tell they are regularly groomed (at least I know the pomeranians and the poodles are, because you can always tell when they've been shaved and stuff). They're just VERY annoying!

Last edited:

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh my. That is terrible! My dad's roommate has a little chihuahua. She is the most needy little dog. I prefer my dogs the way that I like my cats - independent. 
Well, a couple years after that someone gave my grandmother a Yorkshire Terrier. Those things are hyper! I do like the cats better, and I enjoy getting cuddles from them. 
It's almost like they know their human's had a bad day and needs a cuddle or two.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I am most definitely a cat person, but mom is more a dog person. Even though she loves the cats, she really loves dogs (just like I love the dogs even though being more a cat person). We had a Beagle that died in 2013, just shy of her 20th birthday. Then for the first time in my life, our home didn't have a dog in it. That was the way it was for about two years, and it was amazing how the cats personalities changed, so quickly. They ran around the house with wild abandon, just like the kittens do now. Mind you, Lucky was 14 and Sara and Maple were 11 at the time Brandy died. They were not spring chickens! So seeing them dart about the house was quite... entertaining!

Back to work today. Bah. And I couldn't sleep this morning so here I am. Is it Friday yet?

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm in agreement with small dogs being very yappy. They are adorable and sweet, but annoying as they bark constantly. My cats also feel the same way. They never mind bigger dogs, actually liking them all. But whenever someone brings a small dog around, they get pretty annoyed. The small dogs don't seem to care one bit about personal space and have their noses in the cats behind every chance they get.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like poodles because of the barking. My neighbors had two that NEVER quit, it was so annoying. That is one reason I like cats, although I can't honestly say my Siamese Casper is exactly quiet, and his half brother, Jerry sounds like a yamaha, or saying No a lot in Russian!  I've never heard a cat like him!  

I had a yorkshire years ago named Stanley, he was only 4 pounds but had the heart of a lion. I have him entered in the Cats and Dogs of McCook calendar contest, check it out if you have time. I also have Chrissy as a kitten and Casper entered too, it's kind of cool to see them on a calendar! 

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another breed of dog I don't care to have is a bulldog. One of my daughter in laws has one and it sounds like a hog. Snorts constantly. It's a sweet dog, good temperament, but the non stop snorting gets to after I've been at their house for a while. I can't imagine living with it day and night. My son has to sleep with a fan on high to drown out its snoring at night. Lol.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in agreement with small dogs being very yappy. They are adorable and sweet, but annoying as they bark constantly.
I agree
Up until last fall there was a person who lived in the apartment complex next door in the building right across from mine. The person let her little yappy dog out on the balcony all the time and the dog barked all the time at everything: cars, people, other dog owners walking their dogs, birds, etc. It was soo annoying, especially because of the way the buildings are located next to each other. It's kind of an echo canyon. A person who lives in my building on the first floor has two little yappy dogs who also bark at everything
Fortunately, the unit is currently under agreement to be sold so hopefully no more yappy annoying dogs soon.

Should get started on work now
Two hour lab meeting today which cuts into time needed to actually get my morning work done

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like we're pretty much all in agreement that cats are the best, most awesome pets! Dogs are sweet too, but cats are number one!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
So, only six posts to go. Five if you don't count this one. I wonder who will be making post #1000 real soon! And who's going to bite the bullet and post the 999th one 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

So, only six posts to go. Five if you don't count this one. I wonder who will be making post #1000 real soon! And who's going to bite the bullet and post the 999th one 

Unless my math is off (it could be. I need a calculator to add 
), 5 more posts (including this one) would take us to 960. 

Sophie managed to pull some of the living room curtains down yesterday during a fit of the zoomies. She likes to jump around on the tree and it's right by the windows. Then she takes off zooming around the house. 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are so funny about their wet food. They like to take tiny bites when I first put it down and then go back later to eat more of it. They are currently chilling at the end of the bed waiting for me to put the dry food down so that thy can eat that.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The shelter got a pair of parakeets (budgies) on Saturday. After just a few days in the quarantine section, where we've got a couple of cats in another room, one of the parakeets has learned to meow! It's hysterical. The dogs are in the same wing, so maybe one or both will learn how to bark, too.

Last year we had a parrot that did a perfect imitation of a smoke detector. :lol3:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

Unless my math is off (it could be. I need a calculator to add 
), 5 more posts (including this one) would take us to 960. 

Sophie managed to pull some of the living room curtains down yesterday during a fit of the zoomies. She likes to jump around on the tree and it's right by the windows. Then she takes off zooming around the house. 

I'm not sure which to blame now, my math skills or my eyesight. Probably my ADHD 

Come on people, I really want to send someone these cute cat toys! We can do 50+ posts today!

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Won't be able to help for a few hours. I got called for jury selection today. I don't want to be picked so I can continue to babble! Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.