Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite book as a child was Charlotte's Web.  I used to read it over and over because it ends badly (spoiler alert!) and would prefer having Charlotte alive again.  Sorry mods for breaking the rules.  I was going to un-sub, but I will try to remember which thread I am on, and the rules.  

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I loved the "Little House on the Prairie" series. (Laura Ingalls Wilder) I was just fascinated by their life out West.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You're not ranting, you're babbling, right?

We went to see the live action movie of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe in a theater.  The movie was incredibly scary; I thought it should have been rated PG-13.  And there was a church bus full of Kindergarten age children who'd been brought to see it.  I just cringed for those children.

The thing I most liked about the Narnia books was the point they made about evil sometimes masquerading as beautiful, and good appearing in unlikely people.  I adored Puddleglum the Marshwiggle.  One of the most sensible people in the entire series.

The thing I least liked about them was the subtle negative attitude toward women.  Things like Mrs. Beaver, when they were fleeing for their lives, being worried about her sewing machine, and Susan being told not to use her bow and arrows in the upcoming war because wars are ugly when women fight (as if they're pretty when men fight).  It's not that Lewis was a misogynist, but he was a product of his time, and his religious beliefs, which included the belief that the sole legitimate purpose of sex was procreation.  You can see that one most strongly in his adult novel, That Hideous Strength.

Margret
 That Hideous Strength (and that whole group of books) actually is incredibly strange and interesting.

I hate when people take their kids to movies they shouldn't be at. There was a one year old in the theater when we went to see the Avengers. There were also a lot of children under 5. Movies like that should not be watched by little kids.

On the same token as that, The Hunger Games series is a group of books that I think is absolutely inappropriate for the age group its written for.  I was so horrified by the books, I couldn't get into them at all.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You're not ranting, you're babbling, right?

We went to see the live action movie of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe in a theater.  The movie was incredibly scary; I thought it should have been rated PG-13.  And there was a church bus full of Kindergarten age children who'd been brought to see it.  I just cringed for those children.

The thing I most liked about the Narnia books was the point they made about evil sometimes masquerading as beautiful, and good appearing in unlikely people.  I adored Puddleglum the Marshwiggle.  One of the most sensible people in the entire series.

The thing I least liked about them was the subtle negative attitude toward women.  Things like Mrs. Beaver, when they were fleeing for their lives, being worried about her sewing machine, and Susan being told not to use her bow and arrows in the upcoming war because wars are ugly when women fight (as if they're pretty when men fight).  It's not that Lewis was a misogynist, but he was a product of his time, and his religious beliefs, which included the belief that the sole legitimate purpose of sex was procreation.  You can see that one most strongly in his adult novel, That Hideous Strength.

Margret
I thought the same thing when I saw the movie. It's certainly understandable why it appealed to an older audience. I also remember my brother asking me about the scene where Susan is told not to fight in the war; and he asked me why it was more ugly when women fight than when men fight. (He was so cute at that age.) I told him it's because when men fight they maintain a sense of honor and when women fight anything goes. (He was six, I thought it was a children's movie, and it was a simple explanation.) I also passed off the worry about the sewing machine as being because they can be used as weapons. (When AWM uses the sewing machine the needles not only break--they fly. We had to, for the safety of all involved, exile the sewing machine in the shop, so it wasn't that big of a stretch for him.) And it's true, he was a product of his times--but there were points where he was also remarkably progressive. In The Magician's Nephew, the main two children were put into great danger when the boy wouldn't listen to the girl, so there was that.

That Hideous Strength (and that whole group of books) actually is incredibly strange and interesting.

I hate when people take their kids to movies they shouldn't be at. There was a one year old in the theater when we went to see the Avengers. There were also a lot of children under 5. Movies like that should not be watched by little kids.

On the same token as that, The Hunger Games series is a group of books that I think is absolutely inappropriate for the age group its written for.  I was so horrified by the books, I couldn't get into them at all.
To be entirely fair, I think it was written more for the older teenage group than the younger teenage group, and The Hunger Games  does deal with emotions that teens in that age range feel. (If you they  were bad, never  read Shade's Children. That was cruel, despotic, and depressing.) I do agree with you about morons who take their children to see movies that they obviously shouldn't. Back when the movie Hide and Seek  first came out you wouldn't believe  how many morons took their young--elementary age--children to see the movie about the little girl tormented by her imaginary friend!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I thought the same thing when I saw the movie. It's certainly understandable why it appealed to an older audience. I also remember my brother asking me about the scene where Susan is told not to fight in the war; and he asked me why it was more ugly when women fight than when men fight. (He was so cute at that age.) I told him it's because when men fight they maintain a sense of honor and when women fight anything goes. (He was six, I thought it was a children's movie, and it was a simple explanation.) I also passed off the worry about the sewing machine as being because they can be used as weapons. (When AWM uses the sewing machine the needles not only break--they fly. We had to, for the safety of all involved, exile the sewing machine in the shop, so it wasn't that big of a stretch for him.) And it's true, he was a product of his times--but there were points where he was also remarkably progressive. In The Magician's Nephew, the main two children were put into great danger when the boy wouldn't listen to the girl, so there was that.

To be entirely fair, I think it was written more for the older teenage group than the younger teenage group, and The Hunger Games  does deal with emotions that teens in that age range feel. (If you they  were bad, never  read Shade's Children. That was cruel, despotic, and depressing.) I do agree with you about morons who take their children to see movies that they obviously shouldn't. Back when the movie Hide and Seek  first came out you wouldn't believe  how many morons took their young--elementary age--children to see the movie about the little girl tormented by her imaginary friend!
 The younger teenage group is the one I worried about. My soon to be step sister in law was 12 when she was reading them and I just found them extremely inappropriate for anyone who wasn't a much older teenager (like at least high school).

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Behold! I came, I saw, I babbled!

A little paranoid that I might be starting a sore throat 
 Argh, time to try and fight back....

Hopefully it will get nice and warm again soon. Really need to give my horse and donkey a bath.
Vibes for no sore throat.  

And speaking of donkeys, the neighbors up the road have some two ones.  Maybe they are miniature donkeys?  They love to play with those orange traffic cones.  I don't know how the owners figured that out, but sometimes I ride by the pasture and see one or the other shaking a traffic cone around on its nose. It's so cute. 
I loved the "Little House on the Prairie" series. (Laura Ingalls Wilder) I was just fascinated by their life out West.
I liked the Little House series, too.  It amazed me just how much work went into their everyday lives.  

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The younger teenage group is the one I worried about. My soon to be step sister in law was 12 when she was reading them and I just found them extremely inappropriate for anyone who wasn't a much older teenager (like at least high school).
I understand. I really think, and have always thought, that section of the library (and bookstore) should be divided into two sections; younger teen and older teen. (Ironically the manga, as in that stuff imported from Japan, is divided that way.)

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I understand. I really think, and have always thought, that section of the library (and bookstore) should be divided into two sections; younger teen and older teen. (Ironically the manga, as in that stuff imported from Japan, is divided that way.)
That would be a really good plan.  Manga definitely needs to be dived like this and realistically other books do too. What children can read when they are 13 is radically different from what a 17 year old should be reading.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went out to water the tomatoes this evening and it seems like they have almost doubled in size overnight.  That's a bit of an exaggeration, but they are really starting to get big.  The only thing I really like about warm weather is the fresh fruits and vegetables (well, and being able to sit outside at night).  Speck insisted on going out.  He's kind of the boss of me.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
We have ants again, and I'm itching all over because seeing them just gives me the heebie jeebies. I keep telling them, just stay out of my field of vision, and we'll all be cool. But NO, they must walk out right in front of me, and for some god-forsaken reason, they decided my bathroom was a good place to hang out. Really?? It's not like I dine in there or anything. Not that I want them where I dine, but still. ITCHY ITCHY just talking about it.

Oh, and these cats of mine. Pea-Pea is the only one that remotely actually tries to catch them. She does a horrible job, but she does try. My boys though? They are SCARED of the :censor: things. Oscar will stare at them and if they get too close, he starts backing up (never taking his eyes off of them). I still remember when they were half their age, and just staring at the horde of ants marching through the kitchen. Every time I see the cats suddenly staring at something now... gosh dangit, I know it's a freakin' ant.

Last edited:

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have ants again, and I'm itching all over because seeing them just gives me the heebie jeebies. I keep telling them, just stay out of my field of vision, and we'll all be cool. But NO, they must walk out right in front of me, and for some god-forsaken reason, they decided my bathroom was a good place to hang out. Really?? It's not like I dine in there or anything. Not that I want them where I dine, but still. ITCHY ITCHY just talking about it.

Oh, and these cats of mine. Pea-Pea is the only one that remotely actually tries to catch them. She does a horrible job, but she does try. My boys though? They are SCARED of the
things. Oscar will stare at them and if they get too close, he starts backing up (never taking his eyes off of them). I still remember when they were half their age, and just staring at the horde of ants marching through the kitchen. Every time I see the cats suddenly staring at something now... gosh dangit, I know it's a freakin' ant.
I have this problem with itching whenever I think of itchy insects. When I write about flea medication and fleas, I will be itching the entire time and after.  In fact, I am itching now.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow is the free rib (half rack) giveway! Or rather, later today!! I've got to plan activities for keeping the people with me from getting bored and getting into mischief! (Cats are so much easier to deal with...)

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm learning about astrology right now. It is very confusing and difficult to grasp all of the different pieces of it. 

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy Passover to our Jewish members and to everyone else too (never hurts to have a happy day, does it?) 

Any plans for the weekend? We had a big hike planned but my 12yo came down with some bug two days ago. He's doing fine now but he definitely became dehydrated from all the vomiting, so I want to give him another day or two to fully recover before attempting a 10K hike. Also, it's hot here (Israel) this weekend, so probably best to wait for a cooler day. Hopefully we'll still get a cool day or two before November...
Ha ha ha. You'll be lucky. Look how early summer has come. It's bound to stay hot well into November. A 10k hike? ,that would kill me on a cool day. 1k would be my limit. All my family are athletic though. Just me is the lump. Couch potato. Square eyes from watching to much tv.
Have a good hike. The weather the last couple of days has been perfect.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a hard time hiking last summer because of the heat. Which is super unusual here. It really surprised me but I'm so used to hiking when it is cold and miserable not 80 degrees.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gosh, I'm getting so much accomplished this morning.  Just came in from cleaning my windows
  Inside and out!  Haven't done that for...well, I can't remember the last time I did them.  But I took advantage of a slight breeze and mild weather before it creeps into the 90s next week.  Figured if I didn't get it done now, it wouldn't get done.  Plus I dusted the house AND washed out one of the litter boxes (you know, with a little bleach in the water...that's another thing that doesn't get done often enough
  It's now sitting out in the sun getting nice and dry.  

Now I'm having my breakfast and babbling before I go visit my folks in Assisted Living. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@sarthur2  and @nurseangel  I am almost as addicted to Little House on The Prairie as I am The Waltons.  

Both programs are often shown on Freeview TV here and I end up fixing my routines around catching every episode I can.  It's worst when one of them is on really early morning hours like 1 or 2 am.  

Long day at work for me today, and more work tomorrow but at least that is a shorter session.  Then I go to visit my mother who, since she moved closer to me and my brother and SiL, has taken to baking on Sundays because she knows I go round after work.  
   It's SO hard, I never know what she's going to have made.  

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Entirely off topic...not that a babbling thread actually has a topic, and isn't that just fun?, but my danged water bill was OVER $90 this month!  It's just Hekitty and me here, and there is no way that bill should be over...well...actually, around $60.  I've been begging my apartment manager to get my tub drip fixed for months now, and Monday I'm marching in there with bill in hand and asking her if the maintenance man would like to pay the overage.  This is absurd.  Going on 5 months asking for the repair.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
   That's a lot just for water @Mamanyt1953.   Either Hekitty is drinking WAY more than you know and spending all day at that dripping tap and turning it on some too, or that plumbing definitely needs checking.  
   I'm lucky in that we don't have to pay for the amount of water used here YET but I'm sure it will come in pretty soon.  I struggle with the gas and electric and if water started to get charged as well something would have to go, and there isn't much to cut out the way Mouse and I live.  

Status
Not open for further replies.