Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn't like me reading either, or being on the computer. She likes to sabatoge by laying in front or actually messing with the keyboard keys to change settings on my computer.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

Thickened endometrium.  I thought I was done with all of this years ago.  Imagine my surprise when is started all over again.  No hot flashes, so far...we shall keep hoping.  O only had three of them the first time around...but they were doozies.  I was ready to strip naked on Maine Street, I was so hot!
Thickened endometrium??!!!!

You should not be on hormone replacement therapy for that! Are you sure?

Hormone replacement therapy will increase the thickness of the endometrium....

From my understanding, a thickened endometrium should be biopsied. 

Or is it like birth control pills? to try to help you regulate you cycles until you get into menopause...

camillel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mrs Greenjeans. Saw your "babble" and pictures. I so love it You give your cats dinner and a movie too. My cats love to sit at the window  nad watch the birde. I love to watch Salem because every time a leaf moves she jumps. It is so funny

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Given the choice between eating some scraps of bacon off one plate and licking Hollandaise sauce off another, Mogli chose .... Hollandaise!

He chews or sits on any books (newspapers/magazines) I try to read. It's easier to use my Kindle. Then I just have to show him I'm not playing his "raven game".

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought my cat would stop chewing on things when she grew up. But she's one year old and still loves to bite things randomly. It is very odd to me.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mogli is almost 4 and still chews. We always have cardboard boxes and corrugated cardboard scratchers sitting around the house for him to gnaw on. He makes a mess, but our shoes, sheets, belts, socks, etc., last a lot longer this way. :lol3:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Personally, I think the Harry Potter books grow with Harry: the first one is written at the age group he was when it started, and he grew during the course of the book. Since his character didn't "reset" (I've read a lot of authors that use that mechanism to keep a book within a certain genre), he grew as the books got further along. I think you're right, the later books are more intended for adults than children, because he's more of an adult in them. However, I'd like to point to Robert Asprin, whose Myth-adventure  series, which is printed with perfect cover art--because the author was in collusion in the cover artist. 
Yes, it's always nice when an author is able to have a buddy do the illustrations.

I remember shortly after the first Harry Potter book came out hearing an interview with a bookstore clerk in London.  He said that people would come to the counter with the book, obviously embarrassed, and feel a need to explain that they were buying it for their nephew or grandchild or whatever.  This is because, at that point, and in England, they were strictly considered to be children's books.  Of course, the feeling that they had to explain that they weren't buying it for themselves gave them away.  Anyone who really was buying it for a child wouldn't bother explaining that.

I've always held to C. S. Lewis's viewpoint.  In the dedication for The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe he said that this book was for his goddaughter (I think), Lucy, but unfortunately, when he started it he didn't realize that little girls grow faster than books, so now she was too old to enjoy it.  However, he hoped that in a few years she would be old enough to once again enjoy children's books.

A good book is a good book, period.  For various reasons, some of them should be kept from children, but if it was a good book when you were a child it's still a good book when you become an adult.

Margret

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Behold! I came, I saw, I babbled!

A little paranoid that I might be starting a sore throat 
 Argh, time to try and fight back....

Hopefully it will get nice and warm again soon. Really need to give my horse and donkey a bath.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reading the first Harry Potter book to my son when he was 8.  It was our bedtime ritual and I didn't like the book - until . . . the staircases began moving.  I stayed up all night and finished the book.  After that he started reading it without me as well.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

My cat doesn't like me reading either, or being on the computer. She likes to sabatoge by laying in front or actually messing with the keyboard keys to change settings on my computer.
Same here.  My older kitty will lie down on my binder or papers to prevent me from getting work done... or even worse, sit down or walk over my keyboard (my laptop keyboard, I understand... but just a regular wireless keyboard???  is that not uncomfortable?!).

I was reading the first Harry Potter book to my son when he was 8.  It was our bedtime ritual and I didn't like the book - until . . . the staircases began moving.  I stayed up all night and finished the book.  After that he started reading it without me as well.
Sounds like you didn't make it very far into the book! :p  Didn't Harry encounter a moving staircase at Hogwarts pretty early on?

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my family was reading the Harry Pottter books, we ended up buying four copies of each book that came out. We'd meant to read them together, but no one wanted to have to wait. I remember after getting the books at midnight listening to the books on tape on the trip home. I finished the last one by starting it that way in the car, then reading from when we got home on until 6 or 7 in the morning.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Same here.  My older kitty will lie down on my binder or papers to prevent me from getting work done... or even worse, sit down or walk over my keyboard (my laptop keyboard, I understand... but just a regular wireless keyboard???  is that not uncomfortable?!).

Sounds like you didn't make it very far into the book! :p  Didn't Harry encounter a moving staircase at Hogwarts pretty early on?
I think it was about a third of the way into it.  He spent a lot of time in the cupboard, it seemed abusive to me.

Another awful series of kids books are R.L Stines.  I quit buying them because there were never any happy endings.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think it was about a third of the way into it.  He spent a lot of time in the cupboard, it seemed abusive to me.

Another awful series of kids books are R.L Stines.  I quit buying them because there were never any happy endings.
I've always found it odd that people enjoy books that are in the horror genre. I don't understand it at all. That said Stephen King is a fantastic writer. I've read his book about writing and nothing else though.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mogli is almost 4 and still chews. We always have cardboard boxes and corrugated cardboard scratchers sitting around the house for him to gnaw on. He makes a mess, but our shoes, sheets, belts, socks, etc., last a lot longer this way.
Fortunately, our kitties don't like to chew shoes, belts, etc.  Coco does  love to chew plastic bags for some reason.  Especially the clear or crinkly kind.  Callie is more of a  scratcher...

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, it's always nice when an author is able to have a buddy do the illustrations.

I remember shortly after the first Harry Potter book came out hearing an interview with a bookstore clerk in London.  He said that people would come to the counter with the book, obviously embarrassed, and feel a need to explain that they were buying it for their nephew or grandchild or whatever.  This is because, at that point, and in England, they were strictly considered to be children's books.  Of course, the feeling that they had to explain that they weren't buying it for themselves gave them away.  Anyone who really was buying it for a child wouldn't bother explaining that.

I've always held to C. S. Lewis's viewpoint.  In the dedication for The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe he said that this book was for his goddaughter (I think), Lucy, but unfortunately, when he started it he didn't realize that little girls grow faster than books, so now she was too old to enjoy it.  However, he hoped that in a few years she would be old enough to once again enjoy children's books.

A good book is a good book, period.  For various reasons, some of them should be kept from children, but if it was a good book when you were a child it's still a good book when you become an adult.

Margret
One of the reasons I like books like the NarniaHarry Potter, and several of Roald Dahl's books is because they introduce difficult concepts without (in my opinion) potential psychological scarring. For example, in The Lion, The Witch, and Wardrobe  Aslan, one of the characters we come to (and are supposed to) treasure and feel warm fuzzy feelings for--dies. He doesn't just die, he's tortured--but it's all stated in such a way that while the child can tell what's going on, and is introduced to the concept of evil, there's still a fantasy element that separates it from what we see and feel everyday. Most people don't even know, until much later in life when they re-read the books, just how  in depth they show both the darkness and the light of humanity. (I remember my best friend being shocked when she read them during high school, back with the movie came out.)  Harry Potter, the namesake of his series, is just as abused and neglected as poor Cinderella in her story (I mean the good cartoon, not the bland Disney remake that took away the personality that she had), and just like Cinderella he has an out that requires him to work hard to achieve it (I dare anyone to point to a part of any of the books when he's in Hogwarts where he's not  working on classes, the mystery of the book, or just fitting in with children who have had vastly different and alien upbringings compared to his own). These are good lessons for children to learn. Roald Dahl's books show the children who read them (and pay attention) how to grasp the opportunity for better and how to tell the difference between opportunity and temptation. (In The Witches, for instance, the main characters learn that the witches are trying to poison all the children of the world with the one thing a child can never get enough of--candy.)

Sorry, I didn't mean to rant. I just feel strongly about this.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Thickened endometrium??!!!!

You should not be on hormone replacement therapy for that! Are you sure?

Hormone replacement therapy will increase the thickness of the endometrium....

From my understanding, a thickened endometrium should be biopsied. 

Or is it like birth control pills? to try to help you regulate you cycles until you get into menopause...
Let me pm you on this.  I don't want to take over the entire thread with outward ponderings on my inner workings!

That said, I got the most wonderful letter from my apartment manager today.  Well...everyone got them, but I just...fell apart. laughing.  What she meant to write was, "I look forward to working together to make our community a CLEAN, SAFE, VIOLENCE- AND DRUG-FREE ENVIRONMENT!  What she actually wrote was, "I look forward to working together to make our community a CLEAN, SAFE, VIOLENT AND DRUG FREE ENVIRONMENT!   God help us if some of the tenants take that at face value!

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

That said, I got the most wonderful letter from my apartment manager today.  Well...everyone got them, but I just...fell apart. laughing.  What she meant to write was, "I look forward to working together to make our community a CLEAN, SAFE, VIOLENCE- AND DRUG-FREE ENVIRONMENT!  What she actually wrote was, "I look forward to working together to make our community a CLEAN, SAFE, VIOLENT AND DRUG FREE ENVIRONMENT!   God help us if some of the tenants take that at face value!
This made me cringe (I am a middle school teacher) but also laugh out loud.  These types of errors are all too common nowadays though... Sigh.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Time to babble. Another perfect day here in AZ.  Have to enjoy them while they last, 'cause soon it's gonna be HOT.  Mid to upper 90's by next week.  Don't know what the kits are going to do when they can't have their open window anymore

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

One of the reasons I like books like the NarniaHarry Potter, and several of Roald Dahl's books is because they introduce difficult concepts without (in my opinion) potential psychological scarring. For example, in The Lion, The Witch, and Wardrobe  Aslan, one of the characters we come to (and are supposed to) treasure and feel warm fuzzy feelings for--dies. He doesn't just die, he's tortured--but it's all stated in such a way that while the child can tell what's going on, and is introduced to the concept of evil, there's still a fantasy element that separates it from what we see and feel everyday. Most people don't even know, until much later in life when they re-read the books, just how  in depth they show both the darkness and the light of humanity. (I remember my best friend being shocked when she read them during high school, back with the movie came out.)  Harry Potter, the namesake of his series, is just as abused and neglected as poor Cinderella in her story (I mean the good cartoon, not the bland Disney remake that took away the personality that she had), and just like Cinderella he has an out that requires him to work hard to achieve it (I dare anyone to point to a part of any of the books when he's in Hogwarts where he's not  working on classes, the mystery of the book, or just fitting in with children who have had vastly different and alien upbringings compared to his own). These are good lessons for children to learn. Roald Dahl's books show the children who read them (and pay attention) how to grasp the opportunity for better and how to tell the difference between opportunity and temptation. (In The Witches, for instance, the main characters learn that the witches are trying to poison all the children of the world with the one thing a child can never get enough of--candy.)

Sorry, I didn't mean to rant. I just feel strongly about this.
You're not ranting, you're babbling, right?

We went to see the live action movie of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe in a theater.  The movie was incredibly scary; I thought it should have been rated PG-13.  And there was a church bus full of Kindergarten age children who'd been brought to see it.  I just cringed for those children.

The thing I most liked about the Narnia books was the point they made about evil sometimes masquerading as beautiful, and good appearing in unlikely people.  I adored Puddleglum the Marshwiggle.  One of the most sensible people in the entire series.

The thing I least liked about them was the subtle negative attitude toward women.  Things like Mrs. Beaver, when they were fleeing for their lives, being worried about her sewing machine, and Susan being told not to use her bow and arrows in the upcoming war because wars are ugly when women fight (as if they're pretty when men fight).  It's not that Lewis was a misogynist, but he was a product of his time, and his religious beliefs, which included the belief that the sole legitimate purpose of sex was procreation.  You can see that one most strongly in his adult novel, That Hideous Strength.

Margret

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

I thought my cat would stop chewing on things when she grew up. But she's one year old and still loves to bite things randomly. It is very odd to me.
Mogli is almost 4 and still chews. We always have cardboard boxes and corrugated cardboard scratchers sitting around the house for him to gnaw on. He makes a mess, but our shoes, sheets, belts, socks, etc., last a lot longer this way.
Ah, the joys of life with a chewy kitty.  

Not to mention one that also likes to walk all over the laptop keyboard and sit on my arms when I'm typing.   Mouse is now 5 and I see no signs of him growing out of these little habits - becoming  more expert perhaps, but not growing out of them.  
   At least he doesn't chew all my shoes and bags like one of my tabbies did - Snowleopard would chew anything leather and a lot of my shoes still carry her little fang holes as a sweet reminder of her.  
 No socks either which is lucky since  when Mouse he was a kitten my nephew used to play with with him, his hand wrapped up like a super padded up sock puppet.  

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.