Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Just got back from the lake. I left work early to grab Jon and go dip our feet in a nearby lake in Gilford NH in lake Winnipesaukee which is usually cold because I believe is spring fed. most people fish it to find Trout which need cold water like 60 degrees due to oxygen content. By the edge it was about 75 degrees but when you walk in past your chest the temp changes dramatically. Jon was sitting on the deck sun bathing when I got home at 2. we didn't leave until 3. got there about 40 min later. we left at 5:30, it was packed with so many people. we sat under the shade and the ducks came over to visit. 

Jon is an animal whisperer so he sat talking to the ducks while I swam or rather I walked and swung my arms then did jumps and lunges due to my knee not hurting in the water. did some doggy paddling but couldnt keep my nose high enough out of the water and got water up it but the boats were zipping by making waves so I gave up floating. I didn't get a chance to watch the sky because I was looking around at everyone. The water was refreshing and it was 83 at the lake but 88 at the house. right now its cool probably 70 or less. fan in the window blowing cool air.

I have chicken breast i need to cook-I followed Winchester's example of stuffing it with fajita type seasoning and baking it. I took onions/peppers and some smoky tomato sauce and stuck it in the oven. So far it smells good. no potatoes or anything.

We stopped at the grocery store in Alton bay and got some veggies. I will be bringing celery with me to work tomorrow to eat with Peanut butter. I also found a bread that has NO soy or High Fructose Corn Syrup but its $5 a loaf. Its a 12 grain type of bread by I think Dave's. Its actually really good. its got dif stuff in it and it makes lovely toast. I was estatic because I don't want to eat soy products for a month. Doing my own version of Whole30. Just going to try fresh food and no soy or HFCS. And see how it goes.

Too tired. The swim made me sleepy.

A few people at the beach had hammocks on the trees=I think I will get one because after a swim I love taking a nap. and the chicken was still half frozen so I am curious to see if it takes longer than an hour to cook. Which I will be hanging out here reading. Oh and Honeybee was happy we were home. She zoomed up on her table to get treats. Meows and paws at us. She is hot right now. laying down belly up. I went to kiss that belly and she clawed me but gently. I think she knew I wouldnt hurt her. Floey actually stretched out farther on her back to get belly rubs. Never know with cranky ol lady. Sometimes she likes it, sometimes nope.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Tesla and I are watching The Returned (the french version). He seems to be quite interested in it haha.
I really enjoyed the French version. Not the one put on in English so much . Are you watching Cleverman ?

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
   Congratulations on the cuddly cat sitting work @Donutte.   That's great news.   I've thought a lot about offering cat sitting but managed to talk my self out of it.  
   A lot of people here want sitters to 'live in' too and there's no way I could go stay with another cat and leave Mouse on his own.  
     I always worry about what the people will be like too - hope the folks you are sitting for are really nice cat people.   

I've been working away this weekend but now on my two days off again and looking forward to some serious PJ time with Mouse.  
    I suspect we will make the 3000 post while I'm snoozing tonight but you never know.  

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
donutte donutte We pay $25 per day for up to 2 visits a day in Northern Michigan. I've seen where some people charge $15-20 for 1 visit, then $5-10 for each additional daily visit. Some even charge per pet! I could never afford to go anywhere if our sitter charged per pet.

If our daughter in law pet sits, we pay her $20 per day. She lives too far to come twice, but she stays for a couple of hours and even vacuums and sweeps the house!!!!!

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats @Donutte.  Bet they'll recommend you and bring more business your way.

Kim has informed me that since I can no longer have gluten she is going to make candy instead.  Now she wants to know when I can have sugar.  She wants to make salt water taffy.

@foxxycat Your off to a good start.  You may want to cut out peppers (veggies and spices), tomatoes (all things tomato) and white potatoes.  They can cause inflammation in joints.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
My mother finds that citrus triggers her joint inflammation as well as tomatoes.   It's a real pain when it comes to buying any ready prepared foods or eating out as they are in pretty much everything.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My mother finds that citrus triggers her joint inflammation as well as tomatoes.   It's a real pain when it comes to buying any ready prepared foods or eating out as they are in pretty much everything.
That one wasn't on my list.  Hmm guess I'll stop eating Kim's Cuties.  Oh I was supposed to get bananas from the store.

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My poor kitties are so hot tonight. It's 84 degrees with 70% humidity. They are all flopped on the wood floors trying to stay cool.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really enjoyed the French version. Not the one put on in English so much . Are you watching Cleverman ?
kittens mom kittens mom

I've never heard of Cleverman

But I also enjoy the french version of The Returned more. I watched the english version and I was rather angry with the way they left it on a cliffhanger and the show got canceled.

I'm just about done watching the 2nd season of the french version on Netflix.

Last edited:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I went outside about four hours ago and immediately smelled smoke, the air looked blue, so where's the fire? About 3 miles from where I live, 2 1/2 miles northeast of Laguna Beach and about 35 square miles have already burned. It's in Laguna Canyon, so far no residences threatened but the wind is blowing out of the southeast, only about 10 miles an hour, and all the smoke is being blown up the canyon to where I live in this age restricted community. I'm sure a lot of the really old people are already suffering. Got an e-mail from the administration to close all windows and doors to keep the smoke out, The short time I was outside mad my throat got all scratchy.

I really need to go to the store, there isn't a slice of bread left, I need some milk too but I don't want to go out there. My car is in the underground garage so at least it won't get covered with soot. About 100 fire fighters went to put out the fire, also helicopters and fixed wing aircraft. Laguna Canyon is covered with brush and the terrain is pretty steep. We had quite a bit of rain during the winter so it all grew very well, then we had the 100F temps for several days just last week so everything is bone dry and will burn like cinder, not a good combination. If the wind does not get stronger once the sun goes down there is hope that the fire will be out before morning. Otherwise there will be many people in a lot of hurt.

About 30 years ago there was a huge fire in that same canyon and a whole hillside full of houses in Laguna Beach was burned to the ground but for one house right in the middle of all the destroyed houses. The owner/architect, a  Vietnamese man who had studied in Germany, had built his house as if he were living in Germany with hardly any wood, all concrete and brick and stucco; ceramic tile on the roof, with plantings far from the house, all fire resistant and a pool. There were pictures in the paper with this house standing there looking pristine white with its red roof among all this black burnt destruction, rather eerie.

Instead of taking a lesson from this man and the way he built his house and the way it was landscaped the neighbors made life hell for him (probably from jealousy) until he finally sold his house and went elsewhere. Then they built up the same ticky-tacky mostly wooden expensive houses  again with the same landscaping as before, just waiting for another fire to sweep through the canyon. Some people never learn.

I'm sure the German house was more expensive to build but also with all that fire resistance it could be insured against fire for a whole lot less and obviously it resisted the big fire all around it with nary a scratch. It was probably dirty with smoke and soot and needed to be power washed, but that is a lot cheaper and much more convenient than having to rebuild a whole house and having to live elsewhere in the meantime, not even counting everything that was inside that had been lost.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
@Kittens mom

I've never heard of Cleverman

But I also enjoy the french version of The Returned more. I watched the english version and I was rather angry with the way they left it on a cliffhanger and the show got canceled.

I'm just about done watching the 2nd season of the french version on Netflix.
The Returned and Cleverman which just started a few weeks ago are available to us through the Sundance channel on cable package. Not only was the French version better I was amazed at how much French I picked up by the end of the first season.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I really need to look through that last group of pics some more - KITTIES! But my computer is being stupid so lagging so much tonight. I blame the weather.

Thanks so much everyone! I know so many people that would just say, "It's just a cat sitting job!" so it really means a lot.

mservant mservant , some places/people do want sitters that can stay nights. I've only seen one asking for live-in, but that included babysitting of kids as well. They basically wanted a live-in nanny that could also take care of pets. This family seems to really care about their cat. It was amazing to see another house where the living room was half-filled with pet-related items. In fact, they have a huge blanket (it's the kitty's personal blanket) on the floor just for the kitty to make sure she's comfortable (since they just moved there).

rhondalee rhondalee , was offered $25 per visit. I just didn't feel right, since we didn't have a set number of visits per day. She's asking me to just use my judgment on that, so I'd feel a bit like I'm taking advantage if I did that. So $25 a day is what we decided on. No need to pay extra for extra visits; if I lived further, maybe, but it's not far at all.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
@segelkatt   Stay safe and many wishes that the fire is controlled and out soon.  
I really hope that the smoke doesn't cause too much trouble for all the folks with respiratory problems.  In the small world category - I've read of that house that survived the fire when all those surrounding it burned to the ground.  I never knew the follow-up story.  Part of me is astonished that the owner faced such hostility but as I've grown more cynical with age, unfortunately I'm not surprised.  What's really crazy is that no one took note that building their house like his would make sense.  

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Thank you @MServant and @Margd. The Laguna Canyon Road was closed for several hours, that is the road that people take to go home from the beach, they were diverted some 15 miles out of their way, but the road is now open again. 10 more square miles have burnt but the sea breeze has brought in a bit more humidity and cooler temps as it is now 6:30 pm on Sunday. The danger for the fire spreading is decreasing but is not over, one can never know about that.

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

I went outside about four hours ago and immediately smelled smoke, the air looked blue, so where's the fire? About 3 miles from where I live, 2 1/2 miles northeast of Laguna Beach and about 35 square miles have already burned. It's in Laguna Canyon, so far no residences threatened but the wind is blowing out of the southeast, only about 10 miles an hour, and all the smoke is being blown up the canyon to where I live in this age restricted community. I'm sure a lot of the really old people are already suffering. Got an e-mail from the administration to close all windows and doors to keep the smoke out, The short time I was outside mad my throat got all scratchy.

I really need to go to the store, there isn't a slice of bread left, I need some milk too but I don't want to go out there. My car is in the underground garage so at least it won't get covered with soot. About 100 fire fighters went to put out the fire, also helicopters and fixed wing aircraft. Laguna Canyon is covered with brush and the terrain is pretty steep. We had quite a bit of rain during the winter so it all grew very well, then we had the 100F temps for several days just last week so everything is bone dry and will burn like cinder, not a good combination. If the wind does not get stronger once the sun goes down there is hope that the fire will be out before morning. Otherwise there will be many people in a lot of hurt.

About 30 years ago there was a huge fire in that same canyon and a whole hillside full of houses in Laguna Beach was burned to the ground but for one house right in the middle of all the destroyed houses. The owner/architect, a  Vietnamese man who had studied in Germany, had built his house as if he were living in Germany with hardly any wood, all concrete and brick and stucco; ceramic tile on the roof, with plantings far from the house, all fire resistant and a pool. There were pictures in the paper with this house standing there looking pristine white with its red roof among all this black burnt destruction, rather eerie.

Instead of taking a lesson from this man and the way he built his house and the way it was landscaped the neighbors made life hell for him (probably from jealousy) until he finally sold his house and went elsewhere. Then they built up the same ticky-tacky mostly wooden expensive houses  again with the same landscaping as before, just waiting for another fire to sweep through the canyon. Some people never learn.

I'm sure the German house was more expensive to build but also with all that fire resistance it could be insured against fire for a whole lot less and obviously it resisted the big fire all around it with nary a scratch. It was probably dirty with smoke and soot and needed to be power washed, but that is a lot cheaper and much more convenient than having to rebuild a whole house and having to live elsewhere in the meantime, not even counting everything that was inside that had been lost.
oh my!! That sounds nerve wracking especially for those with asthma. I dont know how well my kitty would handle the smoke plus if we closed the windows it would be 100 degrees in here. I hope you have AC. And stay safe of course! Sending you prayers and positive thoughts that the fire DIES out tonight!

I am sorry for your neighbor who got harrassed. I know a coworker from Poland said that over there they dont allow any wood in the house. He said the same as your neighbor-all brick or stone. I said I would freeze my rear end off. The cement in basements makes me chilled. I couldnt imagine living in stone walkways and walls. it would be cooler in the summer but in the winter I would be COLD~ 

The cats are all in-came in on their own. its dark now.

dinner came out ok. it tasted better raw. the sauce i used is kind of bland now that its cooked into the chicken. Must be the extra msg in all the prepared foods has killed my tastebuds so to me everything tastes blah.

I dont think i can cut out tomatoes and veggies. I need my veggies. I get skin issues if I dont eat enough green veggies. spices-I like savory food. salsa is a normal staple in this house otherwise its chip dip and thats more calories than tomato. maybe someday when I dont want to eat anything. Its interesting that soy bothers me more than tomato. If anyone remembered soy acts like estrogen in the body or at least thats what I read up and when I eat it I notice certain issues get more bothersome like pain and bloating. so its been interesting to make and eat no soy. thats impossible in the organic world. everyone has gotten on the cheap filler bandwagon plus its probably gmo. thats something that really bothers me. soy and High Fructose corn syrup. This tomato marinade doesnt have soy or HFCS so I decided to eat this tonight with peppers and onions.

tomorrow mornin is steel cut oatmeal, banana and 2 boiled eggs. all which dont have soy or HFCS. so at least for the next 12 hours I wont ingest it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.