Let's Babble Our Way to Post #4,000,000 And Win Prizes Too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
The babbling thread is slow. I can babble any time, so here goes!!

My day was scheduled to be: the shelter, then off to the gym, home to shower, sit outside, make a salad..

It turned out to be: The shelter..then got a wave of tiredness!! The gym was really out of the question. I was seriously, tired!!   Went to Trader Joe's for a few things. Came home, took a shower. Gym clothes still in bag, on table. 

While showering, I remembered something. I called up one of the Shelter Board members. We ended up talking for an entire hour!! Wow!! All about cats and stuff..And I never spoke with her before!! 

Then on line for a bit. Then made a salad and ate it.. now on line again..getting really tired again..I think it is going to be an early night. I am really glad I did not go to the gym. It would not have been a good work-out, especially elliptical.

I am rationalizing by saying that feeding, sweeping cubbies, scooping litter boxes, talking to a couple of potential adopters, and playing with all 5 cats was a workout. 

We got a new cat for adoption. He has been returned twice. Once because owner moving, another time because the adopter became pregnant...I have never seen a cat as fat as this one. His name is Andre the Giant!!!

Man! He weighed in at 18+ lbs!!!   I feel bad for him. Between the litter box, wet and dry food, water dish and his bed (security blanket) there is no room for him in the cubby...I do not know where we are going to place him. 

They try to open up 2 cubbies for one cat. There is a small sliding round door between. Andre is so big that he will not be able to squeeze through it. The litter box is usually kept in the other side. 

The large cubby has been occupied with one particular cat. We are not moving that one. He is a big boy and has had a rough life. He has now come out of his shell. He is not moving ...

That was my day! 

Now I am reclining.. I am thinking about going out, but the mosquitoes will be emerging soon~~ they just love me. 

I guess I will stay in and just look..

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

How odd...none of the pictures on TCS are showing up.  Just blank boxes.  Although the profile photos are fine.  I must check some other sites...is it TCS?  Is it my BRAND NEW DRATTED COMPUTER?  It is the stars?  Crud.
It is the stars, of course. 
  Seriously, photos are showing up for me so I don't think it's TCS.  It appears your computer wants some attention.  I wish I could offer something more than wise-cracks.

EDIT:  Just read another post where the photos weren't showing.  I may have maligned your computer.

I am confined to the house with this kind of weather UV outside. I have become increasingly photo sensitive. SPF 5000 doesn't stop the burn. I am red from waling to my car, Into Walmart , back out to the car and unloading the groceries. Total time in the sun 10-15 minutes.
That really does not sounds good at all.  I hope you can stay in now with Mook and Mercy. 

Last edited:

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

It is the stars, of course. 
  Seriously, photos are showing up for me so I don't think it's TCS.  It appears your computer wants some attention.  I wish I could offer something more than wise-cracks.

That really does not sounds good at all.  I hope you can stay in now with Mook and Mercy. 
Well I was never blessed with a healthy supply of skin pigmentation. And the desert southwest is not my natural habitat. Before 10AM and after 5PM are reasonably safe with hat and long sleeves.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AWM had to dress for court today (traffic ticket), and Asia was curious. AWM hasn't worn a dress since long before the cats arrived; and while they've seen me  in skirts, they've never seen her  in one.

View media item 355997
And here she is investigating the strange new creature in her yard.

View media item 355998
Asia curled up on a cat blanket I'm making for sale in the annual craft show. I might just let her keep this one--she slept on it all day.

View media item 355999
 Ra decided to sleep pillowing his head on the Epson salt box I got at CVS. It looked so cute! (The milk jug in the background has been modified into a watering can--empty, at the moment.

Last edited:

margd

Veteran
Purraise

The babbling thread is slow. I can babble any time, so here goes!!

My day was scheduled to be: the shelter, then off to the gym, home to shower, sit outside, make a salad..

It turned out to be: The shelter..then got a wave of tiredness!! The gym was really out of the question. I was seriously, tired!!   Went to Trader Joe's for a few things. Came home, took a shower. Gym clothes still in bag, on table. 

While showering, I remembered something. I called up one of the Shelter Board members. We ended up talking for an entire hour!! Wow!! All about cats and stuff..And I never spoke with her before!! 

Then on line for a bit. Then made a salad and ate it.. now on line again..getting really tired again..I think it is going to be an early night. I am really glad I did not go to the gym. It would not have been a good work-out, especially elliptical.

I am rationalizing by saying that feeding, sweeping cubbies, scooping litter boxes, talking to a couple of potential adopters, and playing with all 5 cats was a workout. 

We got a new cat for adoption. He has been returned twice. Once because owner moving, another time because the adopter became pregnant...I have never seen a cat as fat as this one. His name is Andre the Giant!!!

Man! He weighed in at 18+ lbs!!!   I feel bad for him. Between the litter box, wet and dry food, water dish and his bed (security blanket) there is no room for him in the cubby...I do not know where we are going to place him. 

They try to open up 2 cubbies for one cat. There is a small sliding round door between. Andre is so big that he will not be able to squeeze through it. The litter box is usually kept in the other side. 

The large cubby has been occupied with one particular cat. We are not moving that one. He is a big boy and has had a rough life. He has now come out of his shell. He is not moving ...

That was my day! 

Now I am reclining.. I am thinking about going out, but the mosquitoes will be emerging soon~~ they just love me. 

I guess I will stay in and just look..
I don't think it's rationalizing to say that all the work you did was a workout!  You undoubtedly burned calories.  How sad about Andre.  It's sad enough he's been returned twice but to be allowed to get so fat is a shame.  I say that even though Paul is 18 pounds himself but, even though he is overweight, his healthy weight is still about 16 - 17 pounds.  Bless you for all the work you do with these kitties. 

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

I don't think it's rationalizing to say that all the work you did was a workout!  You undoubtedly burned calories.  How sad about Andre.  It's sad enough he's been returned twice but to be allowed to get so fat is a shame.  I say that even though Paul is 18 pounds himself but, even though he is overweight, his healthy weight is still about 16 - 17 pounds.  Bless you for all the work you do with these kitties. 
Mercy was returned because she was, IMO in the wrong home. We are her people. If he were truly where he belonged neither moving or pregnancy would have been a factor. I believe he's simply eating his emotions.:).  Poor baby all that rejection.

I always wonder if Mercy had a special toy, bed etc. When she was boxed up and dumped back at the shelter at 4 months she was ripped from her life/home not just the people in it.

margd

Veteran
Purraise

Mercy was returned because she was, IMO in the wrong home. We are her people. If he were truly where he belonged neither moving or pregnancy would have been a factor. I believe he's simply eating his emotions.:).  Poor baby all that rejection.

I always wonder if Mercy had a special toy, bed etc. When she was boxed up and dumped back at the shelter at 4 months she was ripped from her life/home not just the people in it.
That's very true - what you said about pregnancy or moving not being a factor if Andre was where he belonged.

Poor little Mercy. I hate to think of her feeling so lost and confused at the shelter.  She did, however, hit the cat lottery when she went home with you.  If I remember right, you knew she was meant to be with you and your husband the moment you set eyes on her, didn't you? 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh, I really do not do much for them. I really do not volunteer very often. Their schedule is pretty set. I am just a fill-in. It just happened to be that recently I was able to grab a bunch of recent opportunities. It is a tiny adoption area, only large enough for one volunteer and 2 adults.

I do enjoy doing this..

If I am babbling too much about stuff, please let me know...

rhondalee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Just dropped in to give a quick babble. Sorry I haven't been here too often lately. Been super busy and will be for the next week or so.

I'm going to start a new job on Wednesday. Just a part time, non serious job, helping out on an apple orchard/farm. Going to be helping them get ready for the fall. So I'll be busier for a couple of months. But not as busy as I will be for the next week.

I hope everyone is well. Sorry I haven't been able to read enough to catch up. tallyollyopia tallyollyopia , keep sending the story please. I'll keep reading and I'm really enjoying it.

Last edited:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

That's very true - what you said about pregnancy or moving not being a factor if Andre was where he belonged.

Poor little Mercy. I hate to think of her feeling so lost and confused at the shelter.  She did, however, hit the cat lottery when she went home with you.  If I remember right, you knew she was meant to be with you and your husband the moment you set eyes on her, didn't you? 
I would have committed a socially unacceptable act that would have likely brought in the SWAT team for a stand off is they had denied the adoption.  I know we were consumed with grief but this little mess was meant to be with us.  Without sounding like a loon we have always believed she was Kitten sent.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

I would have committed a socially unacceptable act that would have likely brought in the SWAT team for a stand off is they had denied the adoption.  I know we were consumed with grief but this little mess was meant to be with us.  Without sounding like a loon we have always believed she was Kitten sent.
I'm sure no one should support such behaviour but - I totally get you.   If I have my heart set on a cat and have an idea when I'm adopting there's nothing on earth I could imagine stopping me from bringing that cat home with me.  
   I felt desperate when I was waiting to bring Mouse home, I had to wait a whole 15 weeks after he was born and it felt like an eternity.   I had a potential date then my work went crazy busy and I ended up postponing collecting Mouse because I didn't want to get him at a time I wasn't home with him all day.  Gee it was a hard decision.  

Mouse got his new litter tray today.  It had been delivered to a neighbour last week but I couldn't get them in til today.   It's slightly larger circumference than his old one, open top rather than box, and it has a little step / ramp at the lower point where he's meant to go in there. He'd marked it as his within about 3 minutes so I'm hoping he's going to like it.   I plan to make sure the sides are high enough to keep everything necessary contained before I post a review. 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

So we finally got some heat but this is ridiculous. It has been over 100F in many places including where I live and I'm only 5 miles from the ocean as the crow flies. There were some places farther inland that had 119F.

It is still 89 according to the news that I am listening to with half an ear.  More of the same for tomorrow even at the beach in the high 90s and there are wildfires too.

Some firefighters succumbed to the heat. Can you imagine going up a steep hill wearing the heavy clothing that firefighters wear in this kind of heat? No wonder 3 of them were taken to the hospital.

I had stayed in all day with windows and doors closed, shutters closed, fan going and just vegetating.

I had gone to the farmers' market early in the morning, was home by 8:45 when it was still "cool" but already 70 after a low of 65. So the apt was still cool by the time I got back and  closed up everything.

I heard my neighbor's A/C run all day but I managed with just the fan although it got to be 80 in here. It's supposed to really cool down by Tuesday. 

One crazy cat was on the patio almost all day snoozing in the heat, it must have been 100 out there even with the windows closed and the vertical blinds closed, but the sun shone on those windows from sunrise to 3 pm. He finally came in and lay down on the tiles. The other cats had more sense than to go out there.

Tomorrow I will have to go to my garden early and water, I may have a tomato ready to pick. That's as long as I am going to stay outside tomorrow. I had planned to go to the post office to mail something but it will have to wait one more day, sorry @Margd.

No apologies necessary!  That kind of heat is brutal. 

I've always wondered how fire fighters manage with all the gear they have to wear and carry.  I remember when women were first being considered as fire fighters, there was a real concern they wouldn't be able to manage physically.  Honestly, I can't imagine how anyone of either sex manages to fight wildfires considering they are on their feet for hours and hours in hellish temperatures, with very little rest between shifts. 
I've been saying for years that if we ever win the lottery (we don't buy tickets, though, so it would require a miracle
) I would hire an ice cream truck to visit the firefighters camp every evening when there's a wildfire.

Sometimes, they don't manage.  Colorado has a bad history of firefighters either killed while fighting a wildfire or killed in traffic on their way to or from a fire.  Most of them from out of state; good people who were just coming to help.

We're having a thunderstorm today; I opened up the windows and turned the fan back on.  And Jasmine is trying to tell me she wants to go outside for a walk.  I don't think so!

Yesterdays drama calmed down. It was a good afternoon but hot. Got to visit and say hi to family members. But conversation was not much. Very uncomfortable. What do you talk about when you meet someone new? I tried to talk abit of the people I met at the gym but I know it wasn't interesting to them. Guess I am stinky at small talk. But my sister is good at getting conversation to run smoothly. I never know what to say or do around people. I was never one for people. Concerts are my favorite.i don't have to talk to anyone. We just enjoy the music. Movies too. But sitting around a table? I don't have a clue.

I asked one of my good friends and he says talk about Obama or the nightclub shooting. I told him that's distasteful. He was trying to get my goat. But either way I only know how to talk by this method. I suck at face to face. Luckily my family understands this. It annoys them but what can I say?

As far as yesterday, Turned out the person who I texted didn't tell the other person to call me and let me know. evidently everyone involved decided to make a vow to be better communicative next time around. Its such a hard thing when it comes to visiting people.

Some people want you to call before. I remember this person saying I need to call before-then when yesterdays drama they said you are always welcome. I said well last year you asked everyone to call before coming over-so which is it? They said it was because some people kept popping over when they were busy doing work. I said next time put them to work. So maybe that's just my problem. I tend to like being alone. I see families who always congregate-I envy them-I guess I see enough people at work that I prefer my quiet time. Or maybe there is something wrong with me? I never get lonely. I know I can get in my car and go somewhere if I am lonely. I know I am weird.

This is a poll question=do you text/call before or just show up? I text before=sometimes you just want to be alone. Or have something going on. I have a family member who has a hard time understanding that we are supposed to follow rules of etiquette but lately those rules are fuzzy. I prefer someone give me a heads up-sometimes I don't have dinner made or have anything in the house for them to eat-so I don't want anyone to think I wont feed them-just need a heads up. I guess it depends on who it is. I know some folks who hide when people knock on the door. I wouldn't do that if its someone I know. But I have done this for strangers.

So do you think we should have clearer rules for visiting or is it depend on the person?
The easiest way I know to make "small talk" is to wait for the other person to start it and then follow their lead.  And remember, everybody likes to talk about their own life.  There's something to be said for being a good listener.  Try asking questions to draw them out more, and paraphrasing what they say to make sure you got it right.  People just blossom when you show genuine interest in them.

As for your poll question, I think it depends on the person.  If you're expected at a certain time and are going to be late you should either call or text, so people won't worry.  Otherwise, ask them what their preference is.

There are a lot of old rituals surrounding the binding of two people into a formalized, socially recognized relationship. To which I say: don't forget something borrowed, some blue, something old, something new--and fifty cents is the modern American equivalent of a sixpence. (Points to ponder if you're superstitious that way--AWM says the best sign for a good marriage is one where the groom isn't three hours late for the ceremony.)
I'm with AWM on this one.  Also, I recommend against putting money in your shoes; it can get quite uncomfortable unless we're talking about penny loafers.
Just letting everyone know, the x ray on rein went well the vet said she still has bladder stones but that with her age unless she's having problems that there's no need for surgery right now yay!! I'm taking Sammy and casull in Tuesday for checkup and shots. How was everyone's weekend
You might want to ask whether they can use ultrasound to break up the bladder stones without surgery.  It doesn't work for gall stones, but is very effective for bladder stones, at least in humans.

How odd...none of the pictures on TCS are showing up.  Just blank boxes.  Although the profile photos are fine.  I must check some other sites...is it TCS?  Is it my BRAND NEW DRATTED COMPUTER?  It is the stars?  Crud.
What browser are you using?

Margret

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

I'm sure no one should support such behaviour but - I totally get you.   If I have my heart set on a cat and have an idea when I'm adopting there's nothing on earth I could imagine stopping me from bringing that cat home with me.  
   I felt desperate when I was waiting to bring Mouse home, I had to wait a whole 15 weeks after he was born and it felt like an eternity.   I had a potential date then my work went crazy busy and I ended up postponing collecting Mouse because I didn't want to get him at a time I wasn't home with him all day.  Gee it was a hard decision.  

Mouse got his new litter tray today.  It had been delivered to a neighbour last week but I couldn't get them in til today.   It's slightly larger circumference than his old one, open top rather than box, and it has a little step / ramp at the lower point where he's meant to go in there. He'd marked it as his within about 3 minutes so I'm hoping he's going to like it.   I plan to make sure the sides are high enough to keep everything necessary contained before I post a review. 
I was trying to act calm because I was afraid I'd look like a NUT. The second weird part was on the way home I had turned off the my music so I could hear her if she started to get sick. On top of everything else I forgot a crate ! So she was in a box with air holes supplied by the shelter. Right at the Gas Station going into Sedillo hill I heard her name spoken in a clear male voice. Mercy. 

It is the same voice that spoke to me many years ago in another state when I was told to ' Go outside now !. I did and there was a dog catcher, with my old dog was by the way securely contained but now oddly loose and the AC person had his collar off and I watched him toss it into the neighbors trash can. I made him give my dog back. It got nasty.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I heard back from the other emergency vet today. Same organization as the one I interviewed at, just a different location. Golly, it took me half an hour to type up my reply regarding my availability. Right now, that was the only question (because if that doesn't fit, obviously nothing else matters and we can call it a day then). Lots of typing, backspacing, typing, backspacing, etc.

Other than that, just a normal day.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had some chicken meatballs for lunch and got an instant horrible headache.  They came from Costco and I was planning an using them for breakfast.  Now I don't know if I should just return them or have them tomorrow and see if I get a headache to make sure they are a problem.

Has anyone heard from @misterwhiskers?  I haven't seen any post from her in a while.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

I am confined to the house with this kind of weather UV outside. I have become increasingly photo sensitive. SPF 5000 doesn't stop the burn. I am red from waling to my car, Into Walmart , back out to the car and unloading the groceries. Total time in the sun 10-15 minutes.
that's why I carry a big umbrella in my car year round. It has become quite fashionable here. It started with so many Asians living here and their women do not like to get dark so they wear these large brimmed hats, long sleeves and carry umbrellas. Good idea and it's taking over.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I heard back from the other emergency vet today. Same organization as the one I interviewed at, just a different location. Golly, it took me half an hour to type up my reply regarding my availability. Right now, that was the only question (because if that doesn't fit, obviously nothing else matters and we can call it a day then). Lots of typing, backspacing, typing, backspacing, etc.

Other than that, just a normal day.

that's why I carry a big umbrella in my car year round. It has become quite fashionable here. It started with so many Asians living here and their women do not like to get dark so they wear these large brimmed hats, long sleeves and carry umbrellas. Good idea and it's taking over.
I have been perusing Ebay and other sites for a good antique umbrella /parasol. We go to Steampunk conventions and our favorite is in Tucson Az. Even in March the sun/UV is awful.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Steampunk conventions? That sounds pretty cool. I burn so easily and badly that I've got scars on my shoulders from getting burned really badly back when I was 14. And it took two years for the pigmentation from my last big burn to go away. Seriously, two years!

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Steampunk conventions? That sounds pretty cool. I burn so easily and badly that I've got scars on my shoulders from getting burned really badly back when I was 14. And it took two years for the pigmentation from my last big burn to go away. Seriously, two years!
Ouch and yes it takes me forever to un redden from a sunburn. Which I have worked at for a lifetime to avoid. I have to guess that like me sunscreen provides minimal protection no matter how high the SPF or you have the same allergic reactions I have to some of the big name not cheap stuff you can buy.  My husband is 100% steampunk I'm still more of a gothy/punk but thoroughly enjoy the Steampunk role playing. I'm a Kracken Wrangler ya know...

Status
Not open for further replies.