Labour soon?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're at five and I'm fairly certain I can feel another down by her nipples. Will a queen still feel a bit lumpy even after all kittens are born? She looks very peaceful right now.
Yes, they do feel lumpy after birth. Just like with humans, her uterus will be stretched and need to return to its normal shape.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We can't decide if she's going to have more or if she's just a bit lumpy. What is normal post-birth behaviour for a queen? Skye has bolted down some meat and water and is quite happily washing herself while the kittens cuddle by themselves. She's done a small amount of panting and mewing but is mostly concerned with getting clean. Does this sound like she's done?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There isn't really a normal behavior. Some eat, some aren't hungry. Wanting to clean up is typical, unless they are too tired. Definitely make sure that she has constant access to dry food and meals of wet. She will need lots and lots of food while she's nursing.

The tricky thing is, she could act like she's totally done until she goes into labor again!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's hard to say. It's normal for mom to eat and drink post-birthing. She should go back to nurse the kittens when they mew or need her. You'll probably know for sure in the next 24 hours. It's not uncommon for a mom to have after pains and feel lumpy for a few days after, which can make you wonder if she has another kitten inside, even if she doesn't. Try not to worry! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, it's 2am, the kittens are nursing and Skye looks like she's finished for a while. Time to catch a bit of sleep! I'm so worried she'll sit on them or something during the night :(

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't possibly watch them all the time, and it sounds like she has good mommy instincts. Try not to worry!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They'll be fine! Cats have been doing this for hundreds of years! Get some rest.

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice. We managed to get some sleep. All five kittens are now happily nursing and Skye is very content to let us pet her and the new ones. She and I worked together cleaning up the babies last night, it was lovely. She does still have a very kitten-like lump though, so we're waiting on a call-back from the vet to see if they have any advice on that. She also has a very wet chin. I'm assuming it's from all the washing she's having to do? it doesn't looking like she's actually drooling, just that her chin is frequently dark and wet. She's eating and drinking though i haven't seen her use the litter box yet.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's not in distress, i wouldn't worry about the possible lump. It could be a kitten, which she'll deliver in the next day or two when she's ready, but it's likely her uterus. Congrats on all the babies!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad you got some rest, and babies are doing well. [emoji]128077[/emoji]

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called up our vet just to check with her and she said to pop in. We live really close and Skye is bombproof so we did. All is well. Skye and the kittens were quite happy as two vets gave her a thorough check over. We didn't even get charged for it as they decided to class it as a nurse consult since Skye was due a free one of those. I love our vets so much. Now to leave them to cuddle and bond until it's time to weigh them tonight :)

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They think she's done, they couldn't feel anything in her belly on in her birth canal. Just a very full bladder, belly and swollen uterus. We've weighed them all again. In birth order:

Grey patches - 86g-105g. A gain of 19g(!!)

Golden tabby - 108g-118g. A gain of 10g

Grey blaze - 95g - 103g. A gain of 8g

Black - 95g - 107g. A gain of 12g

Blue ticked tabby - 105g-115g. A gain of 10g

Is an 8g gain ok for the grey blaze? Cannot believe the gain in grey patches though,haha. What a guzzler!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, they need to gain 6-10 grams a day minimum. Keep an eye on the two smaller kittens to make sure they get enough nipple time.

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above post :)

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will. Skye is still panting on and off, is that fairly normal 24 hours after birth? It's not a full on pant with the waggly tongue, more the mouth is open a bit and her breathing is a bit faster than normal. Lots of purrs though.