Labour soon?

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you tell at this point whether they are going to have their mother's ears or fathers, or is it too soon to tell?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's too soon to tell. Any folds won't be apparent until around 3 weeks old.

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Day 14 update :)

All the kittens are doing really well. Eyes are open and they seem to be receptive to movement and sound. Ruaidh and Isla are taking wobbly steps around the nest and all the kittens are engaging in tussling play sessions together. Bonnie and Isla have tripled their birth weight. So proud of Skye :)

Weights!

Bonnie -

Birth weight - 85

Current weight - 264

Ruaidh 

Birth weight - 108

Current weight - 305

Merida

Birth weight - 95

Current weight - 295

Archie

Birth weight - 95

Current weight - 279

Isla 

Birth weight - 105g

Current weight - 306

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, and a question. One of the kittens, Bonnie (the smallest), took several days longer than the other kittens to lose her umbilical cord and I can still feel a scabby brown bit where it used to be. All the others have lovely smooth bellybuttons now. Will this one just take it's sweet time do you think, or will a vet need to take it off for her?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It will come off on its own when it's fully healed.

Weights are good!

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH MY WORD, they are cuter than cute and what GREAT picture taking you do, my dear!!!!!   Too cute for words, I am speechless!!

One more thing, I counted 3 folds, not 2.     The second, fourth and fifth???  I could be wrong, I'm new with "fold" cats.  Anyway, well done!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! Too cute for words!

You are an excellent photographer. They also look very healthy! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds to me like you are partial to kitten 2! ;)

But is mama cat partial to a particular kitten? If so, you should keep the one mom favors. Moms often have a favorite kitten and a special bond exists between them. It can be traumatic for both mom and kitten when they are separated if that's the case.

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds to me like you are partial to kitten 2!

But is mama cat partial to a particular kitten? If so, you should keep the one mom favors. Moms often have a favorite kitten and a special bond exists between them. It can be traumatic for both mom and kitten when they are separated if that's the case.
Kitten 2, Isla, is just beautiful and lovely, but we think that she would enjoy a move to a new home more than the others (she's very bold) and she's also the spitting image of her mum, so it might get confusing if we kept her! 

See, we were hoping that Skye would have a clear favourite so that we wouldn't have to make the decision, but she seems to love them all equally. There's no sign of her spending more time or attention on one of the babies. At this point I'm hoping that a kitten will choose us instead :( 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You will know when the time comes! Either mom cat will choose, or a kitten will choose you. Give it time and observe closely. Moms do often show a favorite over time. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Week five weigh in!

Bonnie: Birth - 85.  5 weeks - 501 

Ruaidh: Birth - 108.   5 weeks - 548

Archie: Birth - 95.   5 weeks - 505

Merida: Birth - 95.   5 weeks - 535

Isla: Birth - 105.    5 weeks - 547

All going well so far! Yesterday I saw Ruaidh pee in the litter box and cover it like a pro. Today I saw Isla do the same. Today is also the day that Archie started tucking into wet food. No intermediate stage of going onto the milk replacement we still give Skye, just straight into normal kitten wet food, haha. Their eyes have been changing colours recently too :)

Some photo updates <3

Archie

Merida

Isla

Bonnie

Ruaidh

redbowlingball

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You will know when the time comes! Either mom cat will choose, or a kitten will choose you. Give it time and observe closely. Moms do often show a favorite over time. [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Still no sign of a favourite so I think we're going to keep Archie, unless Skye does a u-turn and start devoting all her time to one of her babies in the next week before we start reserving them to new owners.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The weights are absolutely fantastic! So is the cuteness! You've done an outstanding job! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Archie is adorable - great choice! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Darling pictures!!   You know, you could submit those pictures to a company that publishes calendars!!.  I have a "kitten picture" calendar on my desk at work, and another one on my refrigerator at home.  Those pictures are no better looking than yours, in fact, yours are more darling!!  Again, you are a natural at photography.  Of course, it does not hurt to have such adorable subjects!!