Kittens Stuck Together But I Can't Take Them To The Vet. Help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crystalcat614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I've been gone so long. The truth is I was just feeling desperate when I saw all those kittens stuck together and didn't know where to turn or what to do. What's worse is most of them ended up dying anyways so me trying to save them all was apparently a waste. Now I'm down to only two kittens only one of them is sick and I'm worried I'll lose her next... To make matters even worse, since it's currently Sunday, most of the veterinary clinics are closed and since I live in small town and can't really go far, I don't know if there's anything I can do...

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you ever call the Karnes City shelter? They may be able to help with free medical. What about your sister in San Antonio? Can she help? I'd hate to see you lose 4 out of the original 5 kittens for lack of medical care.

:vibes: Good healing vibes for the sick little kit.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I've been gone so long. The truth is I was just feeling desperate when I saw all those kittens stuck together and didn't know where to turn or what to do. What's worse is most of them ended up dying anyways so me trying to save them all was apparently a waste. Now I'm down to only two kittens only one of them is sick and I'm worried I'll lose her next... To make matters even worse, since it's currently Sunday, most of the veterinary clinics are closed and since I live in small town and can't really go far, I don't know if there's anything I can do...
This isn't a helpful attitude. As we've said all along, they all would have died without your immediate intervention weeks ago. We have also said that their rescue and care is ongoing. The kittens and mom need to be moved inside where you can more easily monitor and care for them. Mom needs to be spayed.

What kind of sickness are you seeing?

crystalcat614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you ever call the Karnes City shelter? They may be able to help with free medical. What about your sister in San Antonio? Can she help? I'd hate to see you lose 4 out of the original 5 kittens for lack of medical care.

:vibes: Good healing vibes for the sick little kit.
My sister has a lot of problems of her own to deal with and she works a lot so I doubt she'd really be able to help right now. Plus, I don't know the area of San Antonio very well so I wouldn't know how to get to any place that could really help.

crystalcat614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This isn't a helpful attitude. As we've said all along, they all would have died without your immediate intervention weeks ago. We have also said that their rescue and care is ongoing. The kittens and mom need to be moved inside where you can more easily monitor and care for them. Mom needs to be spayed.

What kind of sickness are you seeing?
The kitten that is sick (a female kitten I've named Lillie) doesn't move too often, has a very weak sounding meow, and I can occasionally hear weird sounds coming from within her stomach. I know my attitude isn't very helpful, but I'm honestly not the smartest or best when it comes to animals. (As in, I do care about animals, but I'm not all that great at taking care of them.) Plus, think about it this way: Originally there was one kitten who WASN'T stuck to the others, a little black kitten. The only other kitten I have who seems pretty healthy is also black. Perhaps, I was meant to lose all but one black kitten all along...

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. It's frustrating that you have been given very good advice on saving the kittens, and you seem to shrug and leave everything to "fate". None of us can really help the kittens. Only you can.

I would call your shelter and call cat rescue groups in San Antonio. San Antonio is a very large city. There is probably one volunteer there who would be willing to drive out to you and pick up the kittens and the mother and take them all for medical attention, immunizations and spay/neuter.

Or we can all watch while you just let the kittens die off "naturally" one by one. That option seems pretty sad. We are all helpless. You are not.

crystalcat614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. It's frustrating that you have been given very good advice on saving the kittens, and you seem to shrug and leave everything to "fate". None of us can really help the kittens. Only you can.

I would call your shelter and call cat rescue groups in San Antonio. San Antonio is a very large city. There is probably one volunteer there who would be willing to drive out to you and pick up the kittens and the mother and take them all for medical attention, immunizations and spay/neuter.

Or we can all watch while you just let the kittens die off "naturally" one by one. That option seems pretty sad. We are all helpless. You are not.
Pro tip: I'm a VERY sensitive person and I feel you're being too harsh on me when I really am trying my best and but I guess I do have a tendency to say (or do) the wrong things but so does everyone! Also, if I say I can't do something for whatever reason, then I mean it! After all, it's not like you know me or what kind of situation I'm in! But go ahead, and keep reminding me of what a failure I am! I'm sure that'll make things better!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have access to a telephone? Please call some of the shelters and rescue groups and ask for assistance.

My intention is not to be harsh on you personally. You have asked for advice on how to care for these kittens. Offering advice to help the kittens is my only objective.

It sounds like the sick kitten may have a URI which untreated can lead to pneumonia (which is contagious). Or he may just have worms and need a simple wormer.

You do have a way, I hope, of reaching out to someone for help by making a few phone calls.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you call or text places and let them know you need the cats picked up I really think you'll get some help. I know your upset but the key here is something has to be done. You can call, let them know the situation and that you need their help.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are being hard on yourself, and you don't have to be. You also don't have to stand by while these kittens die.

You also really must work to get your female cat spayed. That's your responsibility as a pet owner.

crystalcat614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These things are not inevitable. You do have control. You do have power. You are an adult, and you are capable of learning and doing what is necessary. I have confidence in that!
Yeah, I know and I'm sorry. Like I said, I'm hoping to take the sick kitten to the vet tomorrow if things don't change. As for calling the shelters to come pick up the other cats... Truth is, I don't want that. I know they'd probably be better taken care of, but in a way these cats are still MY pets and I don't want to lose them in ANY way. Though I guess if I'm not doing a good enough job taking care of them, I could call someone to pick them up so they'd have a chance at a better life...

crystalcat614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are being hard on yourself, and you don't have to be. You also don't have to stand by while these kittens die.

You also really must work to get your female cat spayed. That's your responsibility as a pet owner.
Like I've said hundreds of times, the mother cat (Cookie) and most of the other female cats we 'have' are actually more feral than friendly. I once tried to bring Cookie inside, but she fought back HARD and I ended up all scratched up as a result. I'd rather not have a repeat of that incident.

Also, I want EVERYONE to know I really am trying as hard as I can to care for these cats, but I also know that sometimes things happen and there's nothing I can really do. It's not like I've given up on them or anything, it's just part of life.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
If you want to claim these cats as your pets than you need to take the responsibility on yourself to get them spayed and neutered. If you are unable to do so, giving them to someone else who will be able to might be the better option.
Hope the little kitten pulls through!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like I've said hundreds of times, the mother cat (Cookie) and most of the other female cats we 'have' are actually more feral than friendly. I once tried to bring Cookie inside, but she fought back HARD and I ended up all scratched up as a result. I'd rather not have a repeat of that incident.

Also, I want EVERYONE to know I really am trying as hard as I can to care for these cats, but I also know that sometimes things happen and there's nothing I can really do. It's not like I've given up on them or anything, it's just part of life.
This is why we have mentioned humane traps many times. I completely agree with ashade1 ashade1

This is a huge part of giving your animals a happy and healthy and long life.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Pro tip: I'm a VERY sensitive person and I feel you're being too harsh on me when I really am trying my best and but I guess I do have a tendency to say (or do) the wrong things but so does everyone! Also, if I say I can't do something for whatever reason, then I mean it! After all, it's not like you know me or what kind of situation I'm in! But go ahead, and keep reminding me of what a failure I am! I'm sure that'll make things better!
It's not our intention to upset you C crystalcat614 However, it is very upsetting for us to hear about these kittens all suffering and slowly dying.

We've all been telling you since the start of this thread exactly what you need to do to save them.

The mother and the kittens need to be brought indoors.

The kittens need to be taken to a vet.

The mother needs to be spayed so she doesn't keep having kittens which then die.

We've tried to explain to you that you need to use a humane trap to catch the mother. We've also told you that if you are not able to do these things then you should contact a shelter and ask them for help. You haven't done any of these things. You ignore our advice and then make comments like;

"It's fate.", "It's just part of life.", "It wasn't meant to be."

This is really frustrating for us, particularly those of us who rescue feral cats. We know that there is no need for that mother cat to keep having kittens or for those kittens to die. The reason they are in this situation is because you, who are their principle care giver, are not reaching out and asking for help from the shelters, vets and TNR groups in your area who could make a difference.

No one is going to criticise you for not being able to do everything by yourself. We all need support from time to time. The only thing you can be criticised for is not asking for help, for standing back and letting things happen and then shrugging your shoulders and saying,

"Well, there was nothing I could do."

Please. Call the shelters in your area and get someone to help you. There is really nothing that anyone on TCS can do about the situation you are in if you won't do that.

sue2213

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have this cat I call Cookie who recently had kittens. However, most of them are stuck together by the umbilical cord. To make things worse I don't think there's anything I can do for them. After all, I live in a small town and I don't think there's an emergency vet clinic near where I live that I can take the kittens to. Plus, I don't drive myself so that complicates matters even more. Secondly, the mother's not very friendly and won't let me pick her up which could be problematic. And last but not least, my dad recently came out of the hospital so me and my family have enough money problems as is as a result so I don't think I'll be able to afford to take the kittens to the vet. I've heard some people being able to cut the umbilical cord themselves, but I'm scared. I hate to be seen as a heartless person who lets these kittens die, but I'm honestly in a bad spot right now and don't know what to do. Maybe I am heartless but I feel I gotta put this out there anyway in hopes someone decides to help a worthless, heartless person like me... Any help or advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.
I want to thank you for this post. It saved 3 kittens. I have a ferral cat that recently had kittens. Three were in the front yard in the corner of the house. They were mewing and all huddled together. One was under the back porch. We couldn't understand why the mother cat was not attending to the three kittens in the front. Our 7 year old grandson was told to leave them alone mommy cat would come back and take care of them. Well he didn't listen and came running into the house saying they were all stuck together. So I went out to check and sure enough they were. So I got my phone and Googled " stuck kittens what to do" this thread came up. I got a freind and together we got them apart thanks to this thread. Bless you all. Mommy cat is now feeding them and I'm certain she meowed a thank you to us.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much for posting this to let us know and for saving those kittens. The umbilical cords were stuck and needed cutting as happened in the original post? Your little grandson was certainly a kind soul to have taken them in to you...and yes, you were initially correct. In most cases where nothing has gone wrong, leaving young or newborn kittens with the mom is the right thing to do.

Please feel free to come back and let us know how things are going or if you need any advice. I realize these are not your cats, but if you can find some way to spay/neuter them, it will be a huge help to all of them and prevent you from having subsequent litters.