Kittens Stuck Together But I Can't Take Them To The Vet. Help!

crystalcat614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have this cat I call Cookie who recently had kittens. However, most of them are stuck together by the umbilical cord. To make things worse I don't think there's anything I can do for them. After all, I live in a small town and I don't think there's an emergency vet clinic near where I live that I can take the kittens to. Plus, I don't drive myself so that complicates matters even more. Secondly, the mother's not very friendly and won't let me pick her up which could be problematic. And last but not least, my dad recently came out of the hospital so me and my family have enough money problems as is as a result so I don't think I'll be able to afford to take the kittens to the vet. I've heard some people being able to cut the umbilical cord themselves, but I'm scared. I hate to be seen as a heartless person who lets these kittens die, but I'm honestly in a bad spot right now and don't know what to do. Maybe I am heartless but I feel I gotta put this out there anyway in hopes someone decides to help a worthless, heartless person like me... Any help or advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert but you CAN'T let them stay tangled up together like that. They will die. I'm assuming that's what you mean the cords are all tangled together? If.so you need to cut the cords off yourself. About an inch from the kittens tummy. This is very important they will not survive long if they are tangled up. Please don't let them suffer like this

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also there should be somewhere that will help you with this. Someone with more experience will try and help you with that but for now we need to get the kittens free from the cords so they have a fighting chance. I understand money is tight but there is always a way rather than leaving them like this. Once they are freed then mama can start feeding them comfortably you can pinch it off with your fingernails, tie a piece of dental floss around them about an inch down or use a pair of BLUNT nosed scissors. Floss or your finger would be the safest so you don't accidentally cut them. Its not hard to do at all and needs to be done if mama didn't do it.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When were they born?

You must get it together and cut the cords yourself. Otherwise you are leaving them to die a horrible death.

Wash your hands. Then use your fingernails to pinch each cord an inch away from each kitten's stomach.

Do this now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crystalcat614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When were they born?

You must get it together and cut the cords yourself. Otherwise you are leaving them to die a horrible death.

Wash your hands. Then use your fingernails to pinch each cord an inch away from each kitten's stomach.

Do this now.
I don't know exactly when the kittens were born. I just went outside and happened to notice them. Perhaps they were born pretty recently? At any rate, I'm gonna try and see what I can do for them.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know exactly when the kittens were born. I just went outside and happened to notice them. Perhaps they were born pretty recently? At any rate, I'm gonna try and see what I can do for them.
Bring mom and babies inside and follow the directions above. You can handle this yourself. Let us know how it goes. Do not wait.

crystalcat614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick update of sorts, I'm not sure if it's just the umbilical cords as there's this blackish lump in the middle which makes me too scared to do anything. I'm still gonna try and see if I can get the kittens free asap, but I don't know if I'll really be able to do anything. I should note however, that there is one kitten that's not stuck with the others so that's good in its own way, I guess.

crystalcat614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bring mom and babies inside and follow the directions above. You can handle this yourself. Let us know how it goes. Do not wait.
The thing is that I can't bring the mother cat inside as she's not really friendly. In fact, she's pretty wild. She will let me per her occasionally but that's about it.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quick update of sorts, I'm not sure if it's just the umbilical cords as there's this blackish lump in the middle which makes me too scared to do anything. I'm still gonna try and see if I can get the kittens free asap, but I don't know if I'll really be able to do anything. I should note however, that there is one kitten that's not stuck with the others so that's good in its own way, I guess.
That is probably a placenta. Free each kitten from the pile.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with talkingpeanut that it is probably a placenta. They need to be freed from.it regardless, this is something that time is of the essence and can turn very bad fast. Just keep calm and free one at a time. You can do it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
C crystalcat614 If you can free the kittens from the placenta the mother cat can do the rest. Wash your hands well, use your finger nails to cut through the umbilical cords about 2 to 3 cm away from the kittens belly. Don't worry if you can't do it in exactly the right place, just make sure you leave a little bit of umbilical cord attached. This will dry up and fall off.

You can do it! Take a deep breath, we're with you.

crystalcat614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick update: I did it everyone! I took some hangnail clippers and managed to cut apart the umbilical cords for the kittens that were stuck together! All five (yes, there are five altogether) seem to be doing fine and are currently nursing right now. Of course, I'll be keeping a close eye on them to seem if any start to look sick or anything and take things from there but so far, so good! Thanks to everyone who was kind enough to help me out. You guys gave me the confidence to take action and I appreciate that soooo much! Thank you all!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fantastic!! Great work.

Where are they now? Does mom have a nest set up?

It would really be best if you could put them in a box and help Cookie to follow them inside where you can keep an eye on the family. Is there a quiet room or bathroom where they could stay?

crystalcat614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fantastic!! Great work.

Where are they now? Does mom have a nest set up?

It would really be best if you could put them in a box and help Cookie to follow them inside where you can keep an eye on the family. Is there a quiet room or bathroom where they could stay?
I'll see what I can do. There is a small basket of sorts in the back yard. Maybe I can try putting the kittens in there and seeing if Cookie goes in there as well. I don't know. All I really know is that I truly feel like I saved their lives right now. I can breath a sigh of relief and sleep well tonight. Good thing I'm already home.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes if there is absolutely no way to bring them in at least something comfortable for her to get.cozy in.with her babies. Maybe even a garage? Unless it's really hot where you are then it may be cooler outside. You did save there life for sure, had.you not step in they wouldn't have made it thru the night. Most the time there is no issues and mama can handle it but once in a while they need us to step in and take care of it. Again I'm glad you did it. I know it can be kinda nerve wracking but now you can tell people that you literally saved 5 little lives tonight :):)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You did save them!

They really do need to be somewhere enclosed if at all possible. It will help cookie to relax with you and will also keep them safe. Mom can also get pregnant again almost immediately after delivery, which is terribly hard on her.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Speaking as a person who has a lot of cats because I was a bit slow off the mark when a pregnant stray showed up.......

It would make things a lot easier if you could keep the mother cat and her babies confined to either a shed, garage or a small room in your house. Even if you could get a dog crate and keep her in there it would be much better than leaving them outside.

The kittens are very vulnerable right now. If you bring them indoors and make sure they have daily human contact you stand a good chance of re-homing them in a few months time. Being around you will make the mother cat calmer and more sociable too.

The mother cat will go into heat again after giving birth. If you can keep her indoors for now and find a low cost spay and neuter clinic you'll save yourself the worry of another litter in a few months time. (I've known cats have litters just 3 months apart)

If you let us know what state/city you are in someone will be able to recommend a low cost clinic for you to get the mother fixed. There might even be a shelter that would take the kittens when they are old enough.

Please keep us updated on how the mother and babies are doing. We'd love to see some pictures too.

crystalcat614

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While I feel so much better having saved those kittens, I'm also serious when I say that the mother cat (Cookie) won't let me pick her up. Perhaps if I get a large enough box or something I could at least put them in there. I would try to move them into the garage, but Cookie would probably move them and the kittens are still newborns so I'm afraid to really mess with them too much. Also, I said that I live in a small town so I doubt there are any low cost clinics around that could help me out with them. Also, I would kinda like to keep at least one of the kittens if possible. As for pictures, I'll probably take and post some once the kittens are much bigger if that's okay with everyone.