kitten stuck in cat

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought she was spayed during the surgery that left the hole in her side.
I thought so also but then again from whoever did the surgery, who decided to cut thru the side of the cat. Its hard to say what has or hasn't been done. If her owner could get her seen by a better Vet, a real Vet, then they can tell if she has in fact been spayed or not.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow this was really horrific at first...intestines fallng out? I cant comprehend...im glad shes so much better. Please keep het indoors!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No she was spayed...not only spayed but had to remove her uterus as she was infected bcoz of the babies which died inside her womb...dnt knw what the first vet did...that the tissue inside her that holds or cover the intestine was dead n it was nt able to hold the intestine...n the second vet told me that tis operation was nt a good 1...do u think becoz of no uterus the intestine is like that or the 1st vet had nt dne her operation properly..dnt knw...n she will never b in heat nw...bcoz my other cat got pregnant recently...n she never goes to male cats..so obviously she will never b pregnant again....oubi never poop or pee outside bt anywhere in the house...thats a problem 4 me so ive to put her outside after she eats n she returns inside by herself....i dnt think the wound will open again bt have to look after her if the intestine get cut with smthing..besides she stays in the house only if i go outside she will cme with me or play with my other cats...n i live upstairs so she doesnt go outside often...jst her peeing n pooping inside cause a prob 4 me...

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Removing the uterus is normal procedure in a spay. Obviously a lot went wrong in this case, but that part it totally normal.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actual removal of the uterus is a hysterectomy, done when there is infection so that is why it was removed.

This won't cause her intestines to be out. 

I remember your thread about him doing this, thinking how shocking it was to read that a vet would cut the side of a cat open to remove kittens, who does that? And why??! Strange. I suppose giving him the benefit of the doubt he must have had some logical reason..............I would hope at least.

That is where the problem with her intestines started correct? I've never heard of such a thing, ever.

If it were me I would insist on a damn good reason for this, since she will be living her life this way with the fear of damaging her intestines seeing as they are so vulnerable now.

I would def. keep her inside though, but that's me.

Too dangerous and risky.

Too bad there isn't some way of adding protection to her side.........hmm.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In many places, the vets do spays through the side, not on the stomach. This is actually easier on the cat (because the parts to be removed are closer to the side so there's less to cut through) and less likely to get infected. So they may do c-sections that way too, idk. Anyway, that part wasn't abnormal.

But wow! I'm glad it all worked out. At the beginning of this thread it sounded pretty bad. But kitties are tough!

You may want to consider having your other cat spayed too. Perhaps the vets there will do a decent job of a non-emergency spay, and at least this will prevent this same thing from happening to her as well. Apparently the vets there aren't so good with reproductive emergencies. . .

juleska

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been away from the forum for awhile and so relieved to see things are working out. You were amazing, @aash. She would never have recovered without your diligent care. I hope you find a better vet for future use, sounds like that's a big challenge where you are. And I hope your kitty has a long and happy life. She is so lucky to have you!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

I've been away from the forum for awhile and so relieved to see things are working out. You were amazing, @aash. She would never have recovered without your diligent care. I hope you find a better vet for future use, sounds like that's a big challenge where you are. And I hope your kitty has a long and happy life. She is so lucky to have you!
     It is great to hear how Oubi is doing, and doing well which is even better.    My thinking with her intestines is that the surgery she had, and the way it was done, probably damaged the musclular wall and ligaments which usually hold the intestines in place and protect them, and this is not likely to repair.  This leaves her body more at risk of harm than she would usually be so keeping her in as much as possible would be best in many ways, but I know this can be difficult.

aash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys..you know oubi is behaving really weird..she is fighting with my other cats..growling hitting them like a pregnant cat does..i know its impossible in her case..im wondering why she is behaving like so...cn you plz give sme information on this...whenever she comes across them she hits them n start growling...its happening since 3 4 days...

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you taken her to the vet to rule out any medical issues?  that is usually the first thing to do.

Next, look to see if anything in her environment has changed.  New stray in the yard, stuff like that.

I know she has been spayed, but I also remember the vet not being good.  Is it possible he managed to preform the c-section and not spay her?

aash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No ive not taken her to any vet...
N she is okay with me if i pet her anything..really dnt knw wats happening to her..is it normal if cats behave as such even if spayed..

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I think that just about anything is "normal" for a cat

Is it all of the cats, or just the mother of the kittens?  She may have some notion that she's protecting "her" babies.

Cats are individuals.  They're just as likely to get out of sorts with others as humans are, but they usually get over it more quickly than humans.  However, if she's in pain, she'll do whatever she thinks she needs to to keep from getting hurt more.

Can you pet her near the incision without her showing signs of pain or anxiety?  Just do it very gently; if there's a problem that should be enough to make it obvious, and we don't want to make any problem worse.

Margret

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I might have the answer to her behavior.

Depending on when she was spayed, you might be seeing what is actually heat behavior.

I know she is spayed and can't get pregnant, but it's fairly common for spayed females to continue to 'think' they are in heat.

This happens because the ovaries outer edge of tissue can be sort of frayed, and even little pieces of tissue will break away and be floaters.

During spay, if these floating tissue remnants are not spotted and removed, they will cause her body to continue producing hormones that cause her to go in to heat.

It doesn't mean she can get pregnant, but she will show heat cycle behavior just the same.

Very annoying too, who wants to deal with that in a spayed cat?!

I have had one in my care re-spayed to remove the tissue, vet said there was actually quite a bit of ovarian tissue left behind.

And it only takes a small amt.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Given the quality (or lack thereof) of the vet who spayed her, that sounds quite likely.

The problem is, the kind of behavior a cat in heat engages in is extremely dangerous for her, and further surgery right now is likely to be too dangerous for her.  Sigh.  I don't know what to suggest.  We all know how hard it is to keep a cat indoors when she's in heat.

Is there some kind of chemical spaying possible, some medication that can counter the hormones?  It's not a long-term solution, but it could get her through the crisis until she's able to tolerate more surgery.  Poor baby.

Margret

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I was wondering the same thing as catwoman707 as soon as I read the update.   I've heard of further surgery being preformed but really wouldn't want to go there for this little one given previous experiences with vets in the area.   I don't know if hormone medication is an option?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, the way I see it there are exactly three options here, each with its own dangers.
  1. Some kind of chemical castration.  Presumably this would mean testosterone?
  2. It seems like a dirty trick to play on Oubi, considering the loss of her first and only litter, but convincing her body that she's pregnant would stop the heat.  What hormones would that be in a cat?
  3. Some kind of "airlock" arrangement (really catlock).  A small cage to contain Oubi, with a much larger cage around it so that aash could get in to care for her without letting her out.
All of these have expense problems.  The third is extremely iffy; cats in heat are incredibly good at escaping, and those attempts to escape would themselves be dangerous to Oubi even if she didn't succeed.  That leaves the first two options, and I can't see doing either one of those without getting a vet on board, which is something else aash has been having problems with.

Ideas, anybody?

Margret

aash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's still acting the same..no difference..whenever she sees my other cats she hits them..i remember how she was cuddling them wiping them like her baby..now this strange behaviour..cnt really undestand...i really really hope that she was spayed n that 1st vet did her job well..i think ladies vet r really bad...

aash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1 thing im wondering...its been so many months since she was spayed..i think 4 5 months..then why now she is behaving like that..why now showing signs of being in heat...its so confusing...