kitten stuck in cat

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aash aash , we think that parts of her ovaries are still inside her.  This can happen even when a good vet spays a cat.  It took so long for the ovaries to put her back in heat because of her previous pregnancy.  It took a while for those hormones to wear off.  That's why she was trying to nurse the other cat's kittens.  But now that those hormones have worn off, the remaining portions of her ovaries have put her back in heat.  She can't get pregnant, but her ovaries don't know that.  They will continue to keep her in heat until we can find a way to neutralize them, which is what we're working on now.

Eventually, Oubi will need further surgery to completely remove the ovaries, which is the ideal solution, but we're afraid that she can't tolerate surgery right now.

The problem is, it's almost impossible to keep a cat in heat inside, and every time Oubi goes outside she is in danger of infection.  This danger becomes much worse if she has sex, which could also tear her wound open further.

You need to do everything you can to keep her inside while we continue to work on this.  I'm sorry that we don't have a complete solution for you yet, and it's going to be very hard to keep her inside, but that's the best thing you can do for her right now.

You have been very strong for Oubi so far; that's the only reason she's still alive.  Try to stay strong a little bit longer.  We're all doing the best we can for her, and your job is the hardest one.

Margret

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
aash aash

I do not agree that your cat is in heat. Cats in heat are more affectionate than what you describe. I think that your cat may be feeling territorial as a result of tension she feels around your other cats and kittens. Cats in heat do not usually swat at other cats. Your cat sounds upset about the dynamics in your home to me. How many cats do you have?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
@aash, you have done so much for Oubi. You saved her life! You really did..

The Vet probably removed her uterus but left her ovaries in her belly. The ovaries produce the hormones which cause her to go into heat. That is why she is acting as if she is in heat. 

She had an emergency procedure and not a through, or good surgery at all..

My thoughts regarding why Oubi is acting out now: She is really feeling better. Before she was still not quite well, her pain and injury were overtaking the hormones. She is now feeling almost like herself, so the hormones are going wild...

I pray that you can confine her and find some way of dealing with this behavior; until you can find a decent, reputable Vet who can help you. Yes, more surgery...sigh...or some form of birth control pills which are specifically made for cats. 

Oubi is in danger if you let her out. She is in attack mode. She is for all purposes, in Heat.

She is still fragile. Her side is not intact, even though it looks as if it is. 

There is a lining which keeps things contained in the body. That has been disrupted. As someone said earlier, the muscles, tendons, ligaments were damaged. They could never heal properly; in other words, seal together. The outer coating od skin and fur did heal together, but the inside is still open. Her bowel can push out at any time through this hole and from a hernia..that would be very painful and perhaps life threatening. 

These are the reasons why she has to be an inside cat and confined..

sorry...

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Oubie being in heat is a possibility but not a certainty.  There could be many other reasons for her behaviour - it is mostly because of the nature of her previous surgery I think, that many of us think her being in heat is a possibility.

Equally something could have happened between her and the other cats that hasn't been witnessed, or her have a fright or be stressed about something else.  If she is not constantly trying to get out, or exhibiting any other behaviours then it is well worth observing and seeing if there are other clues - or if things start to settle down.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oubie being in heat is a possibility but not a certainty.  There could be many other reasons for her behaviour - it is mostly because of the nature of her previous surgery I think, that many of us think her being in heat is a possibility.

Equally something could have happened between her and the other cats that hasn't been witnessed, or her have a fright or be stressed about something else.  If she is not constantly trying to get out, or exhibiting any other behaviours then it is well worth observing and seeing if there are other clues - or if things start to settle down.
This is true and could definitely be something otherwise, or as @sarthur2  mentions, it might be her reinstating her status too.

My idea of being in heat came from @aash  making 'heat' behavior comments because she is spayed, but may not be that at all.

@aash  maybe if you can observe her behavior for the day and update us we might be able to tell better what's going on.

As long as she doesn't show any signs that she is not well of course, then we will try to help get to the bottom of it :)

Have you seen her behavior when she was in heat before when she got pregnant? Is she more affectionate with you?

Is she acting aggressive towards both the males and females?

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aash aash , didn't you say that you also have a tomcat?  How is he reacting to Oubi?  If this is caused by hormones, she should smell to him like a cat in heat.  If he's just staying away from her, that isn't it.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
aash aash , didn't you say that you also have a tomcat?  How is he reacting to Oubi?  If this is caused by hormones, she should smell to him like a cat in heat.  If he's just staying away from her, that isn't it.

Margret
Ive 1 female n 2 male..1 has 10 months old n he has not shown any signs of being in heat or goes to female nothing like that i dnt knw y?? the other has 5 months...n oubi fights only with the males nt the female one...when she was in heat 1st time yes she was really affectionate..this time nothing like that only she fights with them..i jst gave an example hw she was behaving so that u guys cn undestand well...thats y i said she was fighting like the way wen a cat is pregnant..u knw..its the first time im experiencing all these..dnt want to loose my oubi..among all my cats she is the closest cat to me...hp we can find a solution..or mayb its nt that dangerous mayb its normal..anyway will tell if she xhanges her behaviour..thank you for your support

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, then it's probably not heat.  This is good.

In that case, she's probably feeling upset because of all she's been through lately, and doesn't want any of the other cats getting the idea that she's no longer top cat.  I can understand this; I'd probably feel the same way in her situation.  The problem is, fighting is a really good way to break that incision open again, which we don't want.

I keep coming back to the idea of a hernia brace.  Also, I keep thinking of butterflies.  (Not the insect.  A butterfly is a sort of tiny bandage with sticky stuff on each end.  It's used to hold wounds closed when, for some reason, stitches would be a bad idea.  Unfortunately, it would also be easy for Oubi to remove it herself if she tries to groom.)  Any thoughts, anyone?

Margret

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
@aash   Have all of the cats been neutered or are some of them still entire?   If not all neuter this could explain the behaviour.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with MServant. Oubi wants nothing to do with the male kittens at all. Now that they are older they will be coming into their sexual maturity, especially the 10-month-old. She is not feeling kindly towards them at all. They both need to be neutered ASAP, in particular the older one. She is feeling territorial, and is defending her space. She is letting them know that she is dominant and to leave her alone, and watch their manners around her. It is an issue of household dynamics.

aash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No...she is still behaving like that..

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
@aash    I am going through my threads and noticed this one. 

I am wondering how Ooubi is doing. Have not heard from you in months.

aash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys I just wanted to announce something to you..As when I was in difficult time u guys really helped me n supported me throughout..So I wanted to share something really bad..OUBi PASSED AWAY...This Saturday..She died at a neighbour place...I really don't know how she died because I didn't even got a chance to see my baby girl 1 last time..The neighbour had burried her..I came to know through my father..But he didn't show me my cat n let other person burried her I don't know why..I was really angry with my father...I was so devastating..N hurtful I cried so much I don't know how she died cause the neighbour said that there were no injuries on her only her mouth was different..I think she was poisoned..This is my second cat who died in the same way..OUBi mother recently died in the same way...I lost my cat..The most hurtful thing is that I couldn't see my cat 1 last time...I really missed her Can't get over it...

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to read this update.

Is there any way you can keep your cats inside? That way you can keep them safe, as I know you want to do.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hey guys I just wanted to announce something to you..As when I was in difficult time u guys really helped me n supported me throughout..So I wanted to share something really bad..OUBi PASSED AWAY...This Saturday..She died at a neighbour place...I really don't know how she died because I didn't even got a chance to see my baby girl 1 last time..The neighbour had burried her..I came to know through my father..But he didn't show me my cat n let other person burried her I don't know why..I was really angry with my father...I was so devastating..N hurtful I cried so much I don't know how she died cause the neighbour said that there were no injuries on her only her mouth was different..I think she was poisoned..This is my second cat who died in the same way..OUBi mother recently died in the same way...I lost my cat..The most hurtful thing is that I couldn't see my cat 1 last time...I really missed her Can't get over it...
You have my deep condolescens.  Im so sorry.  Either it was a pure bad accident, or some evil persons doing harm... Gods wrath on such evil persons!

Still, as TalkingPeanut mentions, living as pure inside is the only way to be almost safe...

Look, I live in a small, nice willage. Low traffic, friendly people not harming even old thick friendly defenceless cats, no straying dogs... Paradise for cats allowed to go out?  No, the railway going through our willage takes them, one after another...  Even those whom are cautious, and whom usually run home when they hear the train coming...  Apparently sometimes they dont hear. 

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear this. You have my condolences. May she rest in peace. I'm really sad to hear she passed but also that you never got to say goodbye. 

sunshineclare

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so so so sorry to hear that after everything you did. Sending you big huge hugs and positive energy xxxx [emoji]128578[/emoji][emoji]128578[/emoji]