Kitten drops to lethargy and out

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

george chr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I doubt I can find smone. My last attempt was last year when I had raised 3 orphans. They were 1 month old at the time,  much healthier, easier to raise and I couldn't find anyone to take even one in. This case is even harder as kitten is 4 weeks old, weak and harder to raise.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@George Chr  hi 

Diarrhea is not uncommon in kittens, let along sick kittens.. Has she had any worm therapy? That would be a factor. Since she has diarrhea, I wouldn't get her off pedialyte just yet. You want her to stay hydrated and diarrhea messes with hydration.

I saw you mentioned you gave her olive oil in a previous post. Was that because she was constipated? You can also give her a product named Nujol. It's like 2 euros and it is sold in pharmacies. It is paraffin oil and it's what most vets suggest in these cases. This is mainly for future reference IF she gets constipated again.. I am just saying that, because sometimes olive oil might cause them to vomit and you don't need that.

Also, honey can cause diarrhea. I know, honey is super nutrient etc. But it is also one of the No1 laxatives. If she needs it, just give the smallest possible amount. 

About your concern for returning her to her mother.. you're right, animals do recognize their own by scent.. But her mom and most of the stray cats that surround us, are already used to human presence. We feed them, we pet them, we walk around them and so on.. So, they are used to our scent as well.. I don't believe she'll have a problem if her baby girl smells like you. Of course, there's a chance she rejects her again. But it is less possible with a cat that has already accepted to nurse another kitty that wasn't in her litter. That kitty was put there by a human as well. It didn't find its way there, by its own.

I'd say you should try to see if she accepts it back. But I'd wait a bit before I did that. She seems to be doing fine, as you say, and I wouldn't want to interrupt this process.

You took her in and she had a flea infestation. Probably because the source was in the place where you took her from. If you take her back, that would mess her up big time, in my opinion.. I don't know.. I'm all for returning her to her mother, but I feel there's a serious risk involved if you do. 

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you also need to consider that the mother may have fleas and could be the reason the baby was infested.  You don't want to take the chance that she could be re-infested by the mother again. 

george chr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, fleas will be an issue. She must be stronger before she returns.

Honey was part of the pedialyte. So you propose to remove the 1/4 sp of honey and have the pedialyte made from cup of water with 2 tbsp brown sugar + a pinch of mineral salt. Use the pedialyte to make milk formula with 2 tbsp KMR powder. Am I correct? Maybe removing the honey will help her get more sleep time also.

She had constipation first day I had her in. She was in coma and didn't poop during the first day. Her groin was swollen and blue-black. Olive oil helped to relieve it. I guess I overextented its use.

Regarding her mother accepting her back these are my thoughts exactly. They are used to my scent as I feed them and she already nursed an older kitten of another litter. There is a colony in our backyard, several cats but they all are friendly between them. They don't fight over food, sleep together etc. Even if she doesn't nurse it it would be enough if the "colony" will accept it, as I can feed it and its close to weaning anyhow.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, fleas will be an issue. She must be stronger before she returns.

Honey was part of the pedialyte. So you propose to remove the 1/4 sp of honey and have the pedialyte made from cup of water with 2 tbsp brown sugar + a pinch of mineral salt. Use the pedialyte to make milk formula with 2 tbsp KMR powder. Am I correct? Maybe removing the honey will help her get more sleep time also.

She had constipation first day I had her in. She was in coma and didn't poop during the first day. Her groin was swollen and blue-black. Olive oil helped to relieve it. I guess I overextented its use.

Regarding her mother accepting her back these are my thoughts exactly. They are used to my scent as I feed them and she already nursed an older kitten of another litter. There is a colony in our backyard, several cats but they all are friendly between them. They don't fight over food, sleep together etc. Even if she doesn't nurse it it would be enough if the "colony" will accept it, as I can feed it and its close to weaning anyhow.
Yeah, I think that you should deal with the flea infestation, as I stated above.. I mean.. That could cause a problem to you as well.. I mean.. fleas... man, they go everywhere! If the colony is in your backyard and so is the source of the flea infestation, that could easily move inside your house. So, I strongly recommend you do something about it.. 

Regarding the honey, try to remove the honey from the "recipe" 
 and see how she does without the honey. Pedialyte is enough for her to stay hydrated and "perky" .. I don't know if the honey is responsible for her "insomnia" LOL! But it might have to do with the diarrhea.. Besides, she's a baby kitty.. They do sleep long hours, but when they are up, they are just enjoying life and they play with their mom.. which is YOU for the time being.. I'll just call you her dad, cause it's too weird to call you her mom.. hahahah! 

Nevertheless, I will stress AGAIN how important it is to deal with the flea issue.. If she's still infected and inside your house, your resident cat can easily be infected and then you'll have to deal with a larger flea problem.. Which means, ask a vet asap. Not the pet shop.. A vet. Just call one and ask them for directions.. Your cat, your furniture, every bit of cloth you have in your house are at risk of swarming with fleas.. If you don't already have a vet, I can refer you to a few.. 

Last edited:

chrikc1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe it is a very real possibility that the mother will not accept the baby back at this point. Would you be able to find her a loving home?

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been following this for a few days and wanted to tell you, George you are a very kind person going to such lengths to care for this little kitty!  

Regarding the honey, it may be causing diarrhea but possibly you could add less than you have been?  The idea is that honey is a more natural sugar than white table sugar, which is GMO and pesticide laden.  Honey may be as well (not all are though, look at the label) but at least it's nearer to nature than the highly processed white sugar.  A good alternative to raw honey would be dextrose, if you could somehow get a hold of it.  It has no fructose and is easier on the liver and just basically easier to digest.  You could ask around to see if a neighbor has some on hand and could loan you a cup of this sugar.  Not much would be needed anyway for a little baby kitty.  

Also, it could be the honey that is making her sleep so long.  It is a natural bedtime sleep aid.  I take it when I have a cough (two teaspoons) and it puts me to sleep and stops the cough for a few hours.  So maybe a little less honey and use dextrose (non-GMO/organic) if you can find a nice neighbor to lend you some.  

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As sick as this kitten was - and near death if not for your vigilance - I would not attempt to return it to the mom or the colony at all.

I realize that finding a home for it is inconvenient and difficult, but all your fine efforts may go down the drain if it is put back outside.

I agree with Grizzly that you need to tackle the flea infestation that is in your back yard. Perhaps Grizzly can suggest clinics, but trapping, spaying, and releasing may help to get the cat population in your area under control as well.

george chr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PS mama cat can do many things I can't. First thing in mind is grooming her and
As sick as this kitten was - and near death if not for your vigilance - I would not attempt to return it to the mom or the colony at all.

I realize that finding a home for it is inconvenient and difficult, but all your fine efforts may go down the drain if it is put back outside.

I agree with Grizzly that you need to tackle the flea infestation that is in your back yard. Perhaps Grizzly can suggest clinics, but trapping, spaying, and releasing may help to get the cat population in your area under control as well.
As I said I can't keep her for several reasons. The colony was very friendly towards it before it went into a coma. Some of the cats were playing with her and grooming her. I know there might be some problems with reintroducing her, but there is no other option for me.

Regarding the backyard colony, providing food for so many cats is already a costant financial drain, which unfortunately can't have it inflate more than it is.

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest to keep the focus on keeping this kitten alive for the time being, and when it is strong enough to not require  around the clock attention, then cross that bridge, of what next.  Back to the colony or who knows??

I must say I agree with the members who say "not back to the colony" but I strongly feel cross "One Bridge at a Time".  It is too easy to get overwhelmed when faced with such a daunting task that you have on your hands, George.  And again, I "Tip my hat to your, sir"! 

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

PS mama cat can do many things I can't. First thing in mind is grooming her and

As I said I can't keep her for several reasons. The colony was very friendly towards it before it went into a coma. Some of the cats were playing with her and grooming her. I know there might be some problems with reintroducing her, but there is no other option for me.

Regarding the backyard colony, providing food for so many cats is already a costant financial drain, which unfortunately can't have it inflate more than it is.
The best option is to find a home. I understand how hard that is. Getting rid of the flea infestation which is likely the source of the kitten's illness makes the most sense for the kitten, the other cats and everyone living around them. If you can transition her to wet food and the other cats are tending her she has a good chance. I hope that Spay and Neuter programs are available. If you can't keep her finding a way to make sure she doesn't contribute to the unwanted cat problem is also beneficial for her as well as the colony

I hope you remain a part of the CatSite community and introduce us to your other cat.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can understand how financially draining it must be for you to daily feed and take care of the colony. We can still look up for vets, if you want my help, and get some offers on how much it would cost for a group spaying and neutering.. Stray spays and neuters are not that much costly and we can ask people to contribute. I know 3-4 vets that do strays. 

If you don't want to choose to go down that road (it's entirely up to you) you can at least deal with the flea issue.. Believe me, you don't want these tiny demons swarming inside your home.. You may already have a problem and haven't noticed it. Who knows?

For what it's worth, I 've had my share with cat colonies and they don't exhibit substantial denial when it comes to accept new members or re-accept "old ones".. You know? I mean, from what I've seen, the mom cats are quite cooperative and they rarely leave a baby unattended, even if it's not their own.. I've seen mom cats baby sit each other's litters.. Male cats as well.. They're pretty laid back.. 

I'm just concerned, cause you've done so much to bring this baby girl back to life, and if you return her to the colony, with the flea infestation, you'll only get her worse. Fleas drain blood for a living. It's serious. She'll get anemic before you know it. 

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

I can understand how financially draining it must be for you to daily feed and take care of the colony. We can still look up for vets, if you want my help, and get some offers on how much it would cost for a group spaying and neutering.. Stray spays and neuters are not that much costly and we can ask people to contribute. I know 3-4 vets that do strays. 

If you don't want to choose to go down that road (it's entirely up to you) you can at least deal with the flea issue.. Believe me, you don't want these tiny demons swarming inside your home.. You may already have a problem and haven't noticed it. Who knows?

For what it's worth, I 've had my share with cat colonies and they don't exhibit substantial denial when it comes to accept new members or re-accept "old ones".. You know? I mean, from what I've seen, the mom cats are quite cooperative and they rarely leave a baby unattended, even if it's not their own.. I've seen mom cats baby sit each other's litters.. Male cats as well.. They're pretty laid back.. 

I'm just concerned, cause you've done so much to bring this baby girl back to life, and if you return her to the colony, with the flea infestation, you'll only get her worse. Fleas drain blood for a living. It's serious. She'll get anemic before you know it. 
When we had the feral colony on our property I was amazed at how often the mothers babysat each other's brood and then seeing the toms taking care of the babies. Young animals make the distress noise that triggers maternal behaviors I don't see the colony not taking the baby back. I really think fleas and parasites are the top priority.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A good alternative to raw honey would be dextrose, if you could somehow get a hold of it.  It has no fructose and is easier on the liver and just basically easier to digest.
Yes! Dextrose! They sell it in pharmacies and it's really cheap! I got a 2lt for 1.5 euro once, if I remember correctly.. Anyway, it's ridiculously cheap.

You can start her on it tomorrow when the pharmacies open. No more you having to make the "recipe" 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes! Dextrose! They sell it in pharmacies and it's really cheap! I got a 2lt for 1.5 euro once, if I remember correctly.. Anyway, it's ridiculously cheap.

You can start her on it tomorrow when the pharmacies open. No more you having to make the "recipe" 
The dextrose is part of the pedialyte recipe.  Do you know of a local pedialyte that will work as well?

I know the fleas must be dealt with but how do you clear up a flea infestation in a yard?

george chr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made the call and brought her to her mom. You must understand that I am with 12-15 hrs of sleep in 4 days and that on the couch instead of my bed. My cat was over anxious all this time with the sudden rise of my activity and the new guest in the house.  Kitten keeps calling me more and more frequently and not for food or due to some pain but just for company (she stops crying when I am around), and when I am with her my cat howls and calls me too. Its crazy. I was enduring this silently due to the critical situation and will again if it becomes again critical.

Other than that she is as strong as her healthy sibling right now. Equally fast and alert. In my judgment she has more need of her mother than of me at this point. That flea infestetation won't be dealt with anytime soon anyhow; Also her sibling has no fleas that I noticed. Maybe she got them during the time she was in coma and abandoned? 

Her mom immediately accepted her, brought her to the clearest corner of the yard and groomed her. Already some of the filth I was afraid to remove with wet cloth is cleared. Mommy let her nurse her. I will be monitoring the situation and provide feed every 3-4 hours, which I hope she won't need should mom cat continue to nurse her.

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome news.  Get some sleep.  You went above and beyond and so long as you keep an eye on the kitten for relapse it should be fine.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great news!  I hope things continue to get better for the little kitty and her family!  You are a kind person!