Kitten drops to lethargy and out

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

george chr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes of course. My bad totaly. I should have removed the olive oil. Hope this does the trick.

No I don't have smthing like that and I doubt its something its even in shops here. Never seen it.

I don't want to press it for more right now. I know its not ideal but I did that yesterday and it did responded very badly.

At this point it seems to rapidly stabilize. If this continues I will raise the food. I just want to avoid pressing it as much as possible at this time.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The temps mentioned are on the verge to being uncomfortable . not dangerous as yet, but more than ideal. So no extra heating is necessary.  :)    at least, not daytime.

george chr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was using bottles with hot water wraped up in cloth and placed near it. But I am afraid of the scenario were it goes unconsious while being too close so I stopped it.

Just checked on it, Its well hydrated, abt 2hours after its diarea. Also still awaken, it sits cozy in in a corner of the cloth I have it on and it seems peaceful and calm. As smone said cats hide their pain too well, I hope this isnt the case here and its as calm and comfortable as it seems.

george chr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whenever I check on it yes. I can't be close to it all the time because I must have it in a seperate room from my cat. And my cat has seperation anxiety, and won't do without me around her. It cries and scratches the door all the time during feeding sessions. Since I got it in I sleep in the couch, cause I have the kitten in my bedroom.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
George, you are doing an awesome job!! Really!! It is amazing..

I was wondering if we could just call the baby kitten, "Baby", instead of "It".. sounds a bit better for, at least, me to read right now..

Thanks..You are awesome!!! ((hugs)) to you and your kitties....

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Whenever I check on it yes. I can't be close to it all the time because I must have it in a seperate room from my cat. And my cat has seperation anxiety, and won't do without me around her. It cries and scratches the door all the time during feeding sessions. Since I got it in I sleep in the couch, cause I have the kitten in my bedroom.
My cats do that when I have a foster kitten here.  I totally understand.

chipmunk-kim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You really are doing an amazing job! It's too bad you can't keep the little one. Let's hope the baby keeps stabilizing. Keep us updated.

pgalore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is the kitten, approximately? If it is over 4 weeks, I would offer canned cat food with water mixed in. The milk (hopefully not cows) can be causing the diarrhea. I transition babies when they are about 4 weeks to dry kitten food and canned kitten food. They have their deciduous teeth by that time. George, you are doing a wonderful thing here. It takes a lot of time and devotion to care for a sickly tiny kitten. KUDOS :)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Due to kitten's age it does not need extra help keeping warm, just providing something to snuggle with like a small stuffed toy if you have one around.

Soft bedding for kitten and a spot with no bedding, if she feels too warm she will go to it.

Good kitten is coming to you for food! VERY good. Also that kitten is awake. Baby steps.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Judging by earlier posts, George believes the kitten is now at about 3 and 1/2 weeks old.

George, please remember how much healthy cats sleep.  Kittens, too.  I know you're worried about coma, but don't mistake healthy sleep for it.  A kitten this ill is going to need a lot of sleep.  I realize that she (or he) also needs food, and you may have to awaken Baby to feed her, but don't worry if she just wants to go back to sleep after eating; that's the healthiest thing she can do right now besides eating.  And I agree with everyone else; you are doing an amazing job with Baby.

It seems apparent to me that Baby chooses to live, to fight for her life.  If she hasn't given up it isn't up to the vet or anyone else to tell you to give up.  You keep right on fighting for her for as long as your instincts tell you to and as long as you can physically manage.  We all know what a difficult task you've taken on here; I hope very much that Baby gets better soon enough to allow you a bit more slack for sleep and meals of your own before your own body forces you to give up, but if that doesn't happen please don't blame yourself.  You're doing absolutely everything you can against incredible odds, and Baby would have had no chance at all without you.

And by the way, welcome to The Cat Site.  We're very pleased to have you here.  Whatever happens with this kitten, we hope that you will continue to be a valued member of this community for many years.

Margret

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW the support here is unconditional. There is no one here that doesn't understand how fragile a healthy kitten can be at this age.

george chr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is min 3, max 4  1/2 weeks old. If I must be more specific I'd say a couple of days before being 4 weeks.

Yes her will to fight is amazing. You can't imagine the state she was in when I took her in. She was pushed over the spot I had her. Lying on the floor motionless, breathless, mouth half open and souless eyes looking to nothing.

Last time I fed her she was again hungry and ate voluntarily. Which is a record for her, its now the 3rd time in the same day she eats voluntarily. Much more active also. She spots and hears me from a distance.

Hydration is super ok atm despite her diarrhea before some hours.

I hope she keeps this up and there is no more sudden break down.

Last edited:

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, something I want to say is that, in case you are a smoker, @George Chr  try not to smoke near the area you keep the baby girl. She's too young and she might have respiratory issues.. Keep windows open at all times so that the air is clean and fresh (as mush as it can be in Athens, of course). Try to not to use the air condition too much (I know I may be killing you for saying this with the heatwaves and all), because she's very young and cannot regulate her temperature too well.. Plus the aircondition recycles the air you might be smoking in.. No offence, dude, I'm a smoker too.. 

I'm off to read the thread. 

george chr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for caring GrizzlySapien!

Yes I am heavy smoker, but it isn't a problem here cause I have her in a seperate room. Door to the balcony is half open during daytime to circulate air, I close it at sun down to prevent temp drop. No aircondition in the room.

Last 16-17 hours she feeds voluntarily. She cries for food every 2 or 3 hours. Eats 6-8 ml before rejecting the bottle and I don't push her for any more. She still has minor diarrhea and it might be for overfeeding from my part. WHat I noticed is that she might not sleeping very much and this might have to do with the pedialyte (?). So Last 2 feeds I reverted to milk only diet.

She seems strong, and runs quite fast towards me when hungry. She definetly looks healthier than the period before her collapse when she was with her mother, which was the best  I've seen of the kitten up to yesterday.

Short term issue now is if I am doing well by removing the pedialyte from the formula and providing KMR only. Last time I did this before 30 hrs or smthing she had her 3rd collapse to a coma. But she is much stronger now than she was then, and it might even had nothing to do with the change of diet.

Long term issue is when to give her back to her mommy. And I wonder how this will go. I know cats recognize their own by scent. I guess the scent she will get when sniffing it will be my own. Does anyone know any tricks to have the mother accept the kitten back?

Last edited:

chrikc1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe it is a very real possibility that the mother will not accept the baby back at this point. Would you be able to find her a loving home?

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't even entertain whether to re-introduce her to her "mommy" at this point or not.  YOU are her mommy now, George, and one heck of a great mommy at that!!  You are still in the "she must survive" stage, so that must be the focus for now.