Kitten already expecting kittens!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lea98 lea98

This is good news! It's comforting to know all the particulars before you go in. That's a great clinic you've got there!

Your kitty will be extra hungry while supporting the pregnancy. Even though you'll be terminating it, you'll need to feed her well in order to maintain her health while she's pregnant and awaiting her appointment.

We'll look forward to your update.
Definitely have the food out so she can eat whenever she wants. I definitely feel this is the best choice for her. It still shocks me how kittens can go into heat this early.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely have the food out so she can eat whenever she wants. I definitely feel this is the best choice for her. It still shocks me how kittens can go into heat this early.
I

II inow when we took gracie to vets she was 7 weeks old and tiny and the vet advised she could get pregnant as early as early 12 weeks old ! We were shocked as she was still tiny ! I got her spayed at just under 5 before her first heat ! I thought I was being cruel (did want her also going into heat as heard they cry all the time too ) but vet advised was best for her healthwise too !

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
II inow when we took gracie to vets she was 7 weeks old and tiny and the vet advised she could get pregnant as early as early 12 weeks old ! We were shocked as she was still tiny ! I got her spayed at just under 5 before her first heat ! I thought I was being cruel (did want her also going into heat as heard they cry all the time too ) but vet advised was best for her healthwise too !
I mean under 5 months old! And didn't want her going into first heat

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I

Oh I know, Amira was the same way (my other cat) I found her as a small kitten but as soon as she was of age, I got her spayed. Poor Sun I found too late.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a great thing you are doing for sunny and the unwanted cats in the world. She won't have to go through the stress of kitten rearing and cats waiting in shelters for homes will have a chance to get a home.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is a great thing you are doing for sunny and the unwanted cats in the world. She won't have to go through the stress of kitten rearing and cats waiting in shelters for homes will have a chance to get a home.
Thank you. [emoji]128522[/emoji] With lots of food and attention I'm sure she'll be on the right track.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for making the decision to spay her! So many refuse to when they are pregnant (I generally don't when they are so far) there are just so many kittens. It is overwhelming to be in rescue.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bless you for making the decision to spay her! So many refuse to when they are pregnant (I generally don't when they are so far) there are just so many kittens. It is overwhelming to be in rescue.
I know, so many people don't want to adopt because they want "purebreds" or puppies and kittens but they fail to realize so many animals come in as babies, they just end up growing up inside a shelter because of people with their exact mindset. I don't want Sun's poor kittens to end up there by chance. Even though today I was petting her and I felt a little bad looking at her growing tummy knowing that it was going to be terminated. It's the right thing to do, I know, but it's still sad because this didn't have to happen if her previous owner would have just had her spayed earlier.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And if you change your mind about the termination over the next 3 weeks, that's okay too. She'll be much further along.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, so many people don't want to adopt because they want "purebreds" or puppies and kittens but they fail to realize so many animals come in as babies, they just end up growing up inside a shelter because of people with their exact mindset. I don't want Sun's poor kittens to end up there by chance. Even though today I was petting her and I felt a little bad looking at her growing tummy knowing that it was going to be terminated. It's the right thing to do, I know, but it's still sad because this didn't have to happen if her previous owner would have just had her spayed earlier.
I always have a difficult time with threads like this. I understand both sides, as the world is so overpopulated with unwanted animals, it breaks my heart and makes me furious. But I also find it very difficult to think of killing baby kittens who are already growing in a mom's tummy. This breaks my heart as well. I'm very supportive of local rescues, the people who work there are so dedicated, generous with their time and love and hard-won expertise; please adopt from shelters and rescues if you are looking for a cat or a kitten!

This is a very good time to also promote spaying/neutering in all animals, and at a young age, so that they cannot add to the overpopulation of cats and dogs. For kittens, many shelters and vets now go by the "rule" of spaying at 2 mos/2 lbs., or 3 mos/3 lbs., as their guideline.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws . I do not recommend terminating after the halfway point, but it's always a personal decision.

If it gets too close to delivery time, mom is all geared up hormonally for making milk and caring for kittens.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's also important to think of the possible future for the kittens. It's sad to terminate, of course, but I think it's better than allowing them to be born and neglected. In this case, I know the OP worries about being able to find loving and healthy homes.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... In this case, I know the OP worries about being able to find loving and healthy homes.
Yes. This OP's original comment speaks very well for her, and I agree with your sentence above ^^

She has some intent and the power, if she wants, to find good homes for the kittens (after spaying/neutering them as she herself recommends in her OP)...

and so I would just add that these are good things, to have a person such as Lea98 who has unfortunately found herself in this position. I might have a harder time writing this at the moment if you presented me with an example of a "loser, ruthless, money-driven human" who doesn't give a flying patootie about these animals and the overpopulation. But Lea98 really cares.

I guess my point is -- it doesn't have to be a binary choice of to kill or not to kill in all circumstances. Sometimes binary choices just don't jive with one's conscience, and we can otherwise aim for the best improvements and seek the best goals that an already-developed situation can bring forth.

To rally from the bad position, to spay/neuter the kittens at the right time before placing in new (good) homes, to educate the public on this huge problem & how to learn from mistakes (there can never be too much educating of the public!), sometimes these are the conscience-driven choices you surround yourself with. And that also means seeking out the percentage of humans who are either innocently ignorant or ruthlessly, willfully, cruelly ignorant about the animal overpopulation & spay/neuter issues, and then you try to educate and prevent.

Just my two cents worth, as I know how hard all of this is, on both sides. :eek:hno:

Last edited:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sad for all involved ! You know I never knew any of this prior to having a kitten only recently ! My partner wanted to get me a pet after we lost our baby boy and we just looked on gumtree and found somebody selling a grey tabby kitten ! I feel like we rescued her as let's say they lied about her being as old as 8 weeks old and they were now thinking back obviously not proper breeders as our kitten is a moggie ! They wouldn't even let us in the house when we picked her up so have no idea about her othe litter or where she was from ! I learned about Eveything from taking Her straight to a vet and just finding this website ! If only you knew how many kittens she was carrying ! Somebody's cat on this website only gave birth to one kitten (didnt think they could have single birth but no others died etc so must be ).

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
While there are two sides of thinking when it comes to abortion in this case you are making the right decision. Your cat is young not much younger than my Indy and if it was Indy in this situation I would be making the same decision.

The main point of this incident is people please please please have your pets fixed.

I have worked at a shelter before and seen first hand the horrors some of the young cats there have been exposed to. What kind of life is living in a metal cage watching as people don't even spare you a glance? This is what happens to many kittens who grow up at the shelter.

I have seen cats become depressed and even go mad from living like this.

Please fix your pets and don't contribute to the overpopulation.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While there are two sides of thinking when it comes to abortion in this case you are making the right decision. Your cat is young not much younger than my Indy and if it was Indy in this situation I would be making the same decision.

The main point of this incident is people please please please have your pets fixed.

I have worked at a shelter before and seen first hand the horrors some of the young cats there have been exposed to. What kind of life is living in a metal cage watching as people don't even spare you a glance? This is what happens to many kittens who grow up at the shelter.

I have seen cats become depressed and even go mad from living like this.

Please fix your pets and don't contribute to the overpopulation.
:yeah:

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to do. I visited my sister's house today and told her my plan to terminate Sun's pregnancy... she, as a mother, does not agree. To say the least. She said I would knowingly be killing living animals on purpose.

Honestly, I feel bad about it. However, her opinion is a little... sketchy to say the least. She does not believe in spaying/neutering her pet because she believes to outcome is not worth the dog's/cat's "suffering" during the recovery process.

My decision is on the fence.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to do. I visited my sister's house today and told her my plan to terminate Sun's pregnancy... she, as a mother, does not agree. To say the least. She said I would knowingly be killing living animals on purpose.

Honestly, I feel bad about it. However, her opinion is a little... sketchy to say the least. She has a past of backyard breeding and does not believe in spaying/neutering her pet because she believes to outcome is not worth the dog's/cat's "suffering" during the recovery process.

My decision is on the fence.
Your sister's opinion is not valid. Ignore her. Animals don't have the desire to be parents.

Do whatever you think is right when it comes time.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes think of the homeless cats who would be homeless. People overlook perfectly playful loving and loyal cats who need homes.

By doing this you are helping reduce the Pet overpopulation epidemic rather than contributing to it.

Your sister probably has not worked in an animal shelter before. I have and it's heartbreaking to watch as these poor animals live their lives in a cage. Some of them become depressed or go crazy from it. These animals often will be labeled as unadoptable and we all know what that means.... it's shelter talk for mass euthanasia.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should reassure your sister the recovery process after spaying is so short ! As soon as gracie woke from the operation she was jumping and running around as usual ! She just got depressed with the cone ! Once that came off she was fine ! I worried it would change Her personality as some claim it does . Also some claim it calms them down ! It did neither to gracie ! She's still her fiesty old self ! Never has to experience Heat or kittens. My partner asked if we should have let her experience having one litter however soon changed his mind when I said about over population and we won't know how her litter would end up (will they have decent homes etc) and so on !