Kitten already expecting kittens!!!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It won't be entirely early on because if my calculations are correct, cats I believe are pregnant for 9-10 weeks. Sun's approximate conception date was March 6-7th. Because when I went to pick her up the neighbor walked me to the shed where she was hiding under the floor boards because 3 males were waiting outside. At least I assume they were males, they even followed me home as I walked with Sun in my arms back to my house. So she must have been in heat. Anyways, her spay appointment is April 22nd, which would mean she would be 6 weeks pregnant, approximately. Maybe a little more if my estimates are slightly off. Sorry, I am just trying to figure everything out. 6 weeks shouldn't be too late to take her, should it?
I don't think it's too late. Do try to get in earlier if you can, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are already so many loving yet unwanted cats in the world by doing this you are helping them have a second chance at life. And kitten season is coming up so that makes it even harder for these poor animals.
Oh I know. I constantly see kittens on the back roads where someone had dumped them in the country. It's sad to see unwanted animals that didn't have to be born.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you cannot get in before 4/22, see how far along Sun is at that point. You can call ahead and ask what the vet's policy is regarding spay/abort. Some vets refuse to spay/abort after a certain point.

Last edited:

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you cannot get in before 4/22, see how far along Sun is at that point. You can call ahead and ask what the vet's policy is regarding spay/abort. Some vets refuse to spay/abort after a certain point.
The line has been busy so I'm going to send him an email instead. I'll update when I hear back.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Small Update:

Okay, I have sent the email and now we play the waiting game. I'm not sure how long a response will take.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

They answered my email, pretty quickly too! It read:

"Yes, please bring her in.  Sometimes we have pregnant patients, sad but true.  It will not impact her overall health, in fact getting her spayed will prolong her life and increase her quality of life.

Thank you for contacting us, we look forward to seeing you April 22nd."

So it looks as if they don't have a specific time limit nor will they charge more. (Thank goodness because I am not made of money!)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

They answered my email, pretty quickly too! It read:

"Yes, please bring her in.  Sometimes we have pregnant patients, sad but true.  It will not impact her overall health, in fact getting her spayed will prolong her life and increase her quality of life.

Thank you for contacting us, we look forward to seeing you April 22nd."

So it looks as if they don't have a specific time limit nor will they charge more. (Thank goodness because I am not made of money!)
Have you told them you'd be open to taking a cancellation slot?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you specifically ask if they have a cutoff point?

Maybe they could squeeze her in earlier.

You should ask if they charge extra. Some vets do.

Last edited:

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you told them you'd be open to taking a cancellation slot?
Sarthur2 Sarthur2

Yes, I had sent them another email telling them if anything opens up to call me. They said with the amount of people coming in due to this being the only clinic in the area and the cheapest too. They have people coming from 3 hours away. It's basically an epidemic at this time of year. They said the only chance of a spot opening up is the upcoming tornado season. That's when people start to cancel. But that isn't until a couple of months, I believe, and by then my appointment will be over with.

Last edited:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh god so sad ! Where do you live ? I'd be overun with cats if I found abandoned kittens !

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh god so sad ! Where do you live ? I'd be overun with cats if I found abandoned kittens !
I live in a rural community in central Texas in a population less than 800. Most people never heard of our little town, or know we're here. We literally have one gas station, and just last year we got a small dollar store. Only two restaurants. It's very agricultural so that's why people around here prefer dogs over cats. They help in a lot of ways, especially if you own land.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a rural community in central Texas in a population less than 800. Most people never heard of our little town, or know we're here. We literally have one gas station, and just last year we got a small dollar store. Only two restaurants. It's very agricultural so that's why people around here prefer dogs over cats. They help in a lot of ways, especially if you own land.
Wow ! My partner (and kitten ) would love that ! We live in central London and I work in a building with 8000 employees in the same firm ! I!'n

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow ! My partner (and kitten ) would love that ! We live in central London and I work in a building with 8000 employees in the same firm ! I!'n
Oh wow! I always said if I went to a city I would probably get hit by a car. Because here on a week day not one soul is on main street, coming or going. People don't even know why we look both ways before crossing anymore. No traffic. People walk their horses around because "why waste gas?" Most likely where you're going is four blocks away. Lol[emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you feel comfortable with it than I feel an abortion is acceptable in this case. Your cat is very young and you express an interest in spaying her. This is a personal choice though.
I agree. No cat needs to have kittens. If the vet will do it, I say do it.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree. No cat needs to have kittens. If the vet will do it, I say do it.
I plan to, and while I'm there I'm going to go ahead and get her vaccines. Do everything at once so she doesn't get too stressed about coming back.

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

The clinic says they are willing to abort Sun's fetuses, spay her, and administer her vaccines all for $30 and will not charge more for the abortion stating "they have many animals who come in far more advanced stages of pregnancy." I trust the veterinarians and staff as they have handled my 2 dogs and my other cat, Amira before. Have done wonderful jobs and they're completely healed by 14 days. Thanks for all the advice and tips. I will update again after her procedure on April 22nd.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

The clinic says they are willing to abort Sun's fetuses, spay her, and administer her vaccines all for $30 and will not charge more for the abortion stating "they have many animals who come in far more advanced stages of pregnancy." I trust the veterinarians and staff as they have handled my 2 dogs and my other cat, Amira before. Have done wonderful jobs and they're completely healed by 14 days. Thanks for all the advice and tips. I will update again after her procedure on April 22nd.
Sounds good. $30 sure is cheap.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
lea98 lea98

This is good news! It's comforting to know all the particulars before you go in. That's a great clinic you've got there!

Your kitty will be extra hungry while supporting the pregnancy. Even though you'll be terminating it, you'll need to feed her well in order to maintain her health while she's pregnant and awaiting her appointment.

We'll look forward to your update.

Last edited:

lea98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds good. $30 sure is cheap.
It's a great price. That's why they're so booked all the time. They're mission is to spay/neuter as many dogs and cats possible to stop overpopulation. I'm so grateful to have a clinic like that in my area.