Kitten Aggression - 13 Weeks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

relienna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! And sorry I'm such a spazz, haha.

Missing the days where I had another cat to teach a kitten all the do's and don'ts! 

I'll start letting him go when he throws a tantrum like that. It doesn't happen often. 

We used to hiss at him, he seems indifferent to it now - but I'll give it another shot. =]

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 You're not a spazz...at least, no more than I am anyway 

When he acts out, keep reminding yourself that he's still a kitten.....and nobody ever said having a kitten would be easy! 
With plenty of time and patience, you'll look back on these days and laugh when you see what a wonderful, well balanced cat he's become.

relienna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: It seems there are good days and bad days. Saturday night and yesterday were not so good days. Idk if it was the heat or what, but he was just in a grumpy mood. Went into play mood much faster after cuddling and frustrated by petting and would nip more often. 

He even spit at me yesterday for trying to pet him when he jumped on the couch! To which my response was, "Hey! You jumped up here with ME, pal!" Haha

But I took him to work with me today and he was calm and quiet and lovey whenever I visited him. I even introduced him to my-co worker's puppy who is the same age and they licked each other and seemed to get along! Apparently he likes animals more than people! Haha And even after seeing the puppy, which I thought for sure would over-whelm him, he let everyone pet him and purred and didn't try to bite at all. 

Maybe he yearns for the life of a clinic cat?? Hahaha

But, even my co-workers (who had to watch him for a week when I went on vacation to Florida 3 weeks ago) said he has gotten better!

I think I just overreact when he DOES do things now, because they are less often and therefore seem more severe?

Yesterday he really did have a bug up his butt or something, though. lol

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its easy to get discouraged when he acts out - its funny how it can almost seem worse precisely because he's doing better generally. I think the key is going to be keeping a really close eye on his body language, and being very quick to remove contact when he shows the slightest sign of overstimulation. Remember, too, that cats are animals, NOT machines! It's natural and normal to have good days and bad days. They have their own feelings and emotions just as we do. Don't forget the whole kitten thing of pushing boundaries - just like kids, they want to keep testing what they can get away with!

Hang in there. As he grows up he will settle down. 

nessakhoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you just need to wait to sterlise you cat. 

Honestly. my cat was in the same boat. I picked her up when she had the flu so she was all cuddly and gooy .

Then she healed and she went all crazy . She bites me during cuddles to tell me she had enough. Or when playing with wand toys she suddenly prefer my feat coz it dosnt move.

Continue with the pssss and noooooo i went a little crazy and did butt spanks. 

try clicker training, 

I found clicker training makes my life easier. She now comes when i call.  now when she bites, she knows i get angry  and i show her the hand (going to spank her) and she runs away. Although like a kid, sometimes she comes back biting me.

Next is to treat them like dogs. Play with your kitty drain the life out of him and then you'll enjoy your cuddles . At 13 weeks their energy is unlimited lol 

Just spay her last monday and shes been all cute and cuddly . (i hope this last :p)

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

you just need to wait to sterlise you cat. 

Honestly. my cat was in the same boat. I picked her up when she had the flu so she was all cuddly and gooy .

Then she healed and she went all crazy . She bites me during cuddles to tell me she had enough. Or when playing with wand toys she suddenly prefer my feat coz it dosnt move.

Continue with the pssss and noooooo i went a little crazy and did butt spanks. 

try clicker training, 

I found clicker training makes my life easier. She now comes when i call.  now when she bites, she knows i get angry  and i show her the hand (going to spank her) and she runs away. Although like a kid, sometimes she comes back biting me.

Next is to treat them like dogs. Play with your kitty drain the life out of him and then you'll enjoy your cuddles . At 13 weeks their energy is unlimited lol 

Just spay her last monday and shes been all cute and cuddly . (i hope this last :p)
I have to disagree with a couple of points here. It is NEVER a good idea to try physical discipline or even threats on a cat (or any animal, for that matter). Secondly, cats are not dogs. Treating a cat like a dog can lead to major misunderstandings that can escalate any type of violent behaviour - if a cat doesn't feel heard when it whispers (body language), then it will eventually resort to 'shouting' (claws and teeth). 

Interactive play is a great way of draining energy though, and is particularly important with kittens and young cats. A bored or under stimulated cat will amuse itself with less desirable, or even destructive behaviours.

nessakhoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to disagree with a couple of points here. It is NEVER a good idea to try physical discipline or even threats on a cat (or any animal, for that matter). Secondly, cats are not dogs. Treating a cat like a dog can lead to major misunderstandings that can escalate any type of violent behaviour - if a cat doesn't feel heard when it whispers (body language), then it will eventually resort to 'shouting' (claws and teeth). 

Interactive play is a great way of draining energy though, and is particularly important with kittens and young cats. A bored or under stimulated cat will amuse itself with less desirable, or even destructive behaviours.
Of coz not. I know my strength and I know my kittens personanility. I know when to stop :) I just said like dogs. As dogs need a lot of energy drain if not they can go crazy (ceaser millan)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You'll still never get me (or most members here) to condone spanking a cat - no matter how gently. 

You're absolutely right about the energy drain side of things, though. Its just that the way you phrased it could be misleading, and a whole load of problems can stem from treating cats like dogs in terms of handling, body language etc.

relienna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think Feliway is a wonderful product! It seems to help a lot! More so than I was thinking it would! I've never actually used a diffuser, only the spray and wipes (which have worked great), so I had no idea what to expect as far as results.

I plugged the diffuser in the bedroom - where he spends most of his time. The last 2 mornings when I've let him out he is much more calm and even rubs up against your legs! Normally when I release him from the bathroom he tears through the room all crazy! He also did pretty well yesterday over all with behavior. He only really lashed out once when Zach was picking him up to remove him from his desk (and Gage apparently wanted to stay where he was). I guess he did kind of get the night time crazies around 1am when I was playing video games. He jumped on my lap and tried to, what looked like, wrestle with me. I wasn't having that and he got all ears-back-grumpy-pants when I scruffed him and put him down. But, he scampered off and left me alone afterwards, haha.

Prior to that instance he wasn't super into playing vigorous last night. He was content with batting around his little mice toys and sleeping under the couch!

Idk if it was just a "weird day" or if he is naturally starting to calm! =D

So far this morning he's been great!

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think Feliway is a wonderful product! It seems to help a lot! More so than I was thinking it would! I've never actually used a diffuser, only the spray and wipes (which have worked great), so I had no idea what to expect as far as results.

I plugged the diffuser in the bedroom - where he spends most of his time. The last 2 mornings when I've let him out he is much more calm and even rubs up against your legs! Normally when I release him from the bathroom he tears through the room all crazy! He also did pretty well yesterday over all with behavior. He only really lashed out once when Zach was picking him up to remove him from his desk (and Gage apparently wanted to stay where he was). I guess he did kind of get the night time crazies around 1am when I was playing video games. He jumped on my lap and tried to, what looked like, wrestle with me. I wasn't having that and he got all ears-back-grumpy-pants when I scruffed him and put him down. But, he scampered off and left me alone afterwards, haha.

Prior to that instance he wasn't super into playing vigorous last night. He was content with batting around his little mice toys and sleeping under the couch!

Idk if it was just a "weird day" or if he is naturally starting to calm! =D

So far this morning he's been great!
 Here's hoping that the calmness lasts! 

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to say l had Feliway spray and diffuser and they didn't work at all. I has the diffuser in the room were Daisy was. In fact when she smelled the bed which l had sprayed all she got was a lot of sneezes,

Jilly

relienna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: He's still crazy and he still bites.

But, at least he's lovey once a day. lol

And at least I haven't pulled out my hair yet! Haha

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Things will get better in time, I promise. It just sounds like you've got an over exuberant ball of energy to love! :catguy:

relienna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, found out something interesting.

Gage was found at 3 weeks, so he and his litter were bottle fed.

I had a couple of the Vets I work with mention that some of his behavioral problems could stem from that. I guess they have commonly seen bottle fed kittens be more mouthy and over-confident.  
"There appears to be a cat on my face."

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a gorgeous boy :heart3: He definitely loves his mom :nod:

It makes perfect sense that he's so bolshy knowing that he was hand reared. Momma cats do a LOT of teaching about appropriate behaviour. Missing out on that kind of interaction in those crucial first few weeks (when the kittens learn all their life skills and are most receptive to teaching) can be a game changer. It will take a lot of work, patience and, above all, consistency to help him catch up on what he missed - and he'll probably always be a little more likely to test and push boundaries. All that love he'll give you will be well worth the effort though!

Last edited:

relienna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, he definitely tests the waters! Especially with my boyfriend. Lol but, I am not immune - he will still bite me if I do something he doesn't like! Lol I have been hissing at him a lot. xD

iluvlucy15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, can I just say - that if we lived near each other, I would think we had sibling kittens. I have just spent time reading every single one of your posts and the reply and I am dealing with the EXACT same thing you are. AND, they are even approximately the same age. The only difference is that my kitten is already spayed. She was feral and found abandoned on the side of the road and alone. So I have no idea how much sibling or mama time she got, which is why I think she is having so much aggression. Everything you have tried, I have as well. For the time-outs I was putting her in a room, not her crate but yeah, pretty much everything is the same. As much as it sucks, it sure does help knowing I am not alone because, I have cried a lot this weekend. I love this little girl of mine and I want nothing but to love her and help her realize that this is her life now but she is a bit of a hellion to say the least. The main things that I am having troubles with are:

-ankle/hand biting

-scratching me (not furniture)

-jumping on cupboards

Now, the cupboards one I am not overly concerned about, however, she jumps from my Island to the stove and THAT worries me. I have already made a previous post about this. I have tried aluminum foil, 2 way tape, water bottle (last resort!), No Stay spray and nothing works. In fact, in regards to the water - SHE LOVES WATER. So she welcomes the spray. She is always looking to play in the water. However, the cupboards is not as big of a concern as the biting and aggression.

I too feel that maybe this was not the right thing for me to do. Originally I was looking for a 1-2 year old cat but fell in love with my little Lucy at first glance, and didn't hesitate. I hardly even questioned, I just did it. In May I lost a cat of 7 years to a tumor, it was unexpected and while I waited almost 2 months to get another, I feel like in a way I was trying to fill a void. I thought getting a kitten would help form a stronger bond. And we are bonding, but very minimally. She does do head butts with me, and cuddles once in a while on her own time. And I know now that some cats just aren't cuddlers, but it would be great if she would at least calm down in the biting department.

I have been consistent with my methods, the stern "no's" and making a noise or grabbing a toy to distract her from the biting, but I too feel like I cannot get her to tire. I sometimes have 1-2 hour play sessions in the evening, then feed her treats (catch, kill, feast method) but it doesn't change much. She has toys, a cat tree, and I feed her the healthiest of food and treats as I wanted to ensure I started this kitten off right.

I live alone, I am gone for the standard 8-9 hours a day while at work, but I am home pretty much every evening and she gets much full attention. I have no kids, I live in a small'ish apartment and I don't have the option of getting a second cat. So, do you see the similarities? HAHA Like I said, as I was reading, I was like - wow - I'm NOT alone! Maybe we should be feline friends! HAHA

But I'd love to talk and work together - maybe we can help each other. I dont mind sharing my email address. One thing I did just invest in, is the book called 'think like a cat' and I just started it but it was recommended to me. Have you read or heard about it?

This is my Lucy :)