kicked out of my house

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am one of the people with an unreasonable fear of snakes so I won't be getting one. Some people even keep venomous snakes and I really don't get that. Even herpetologists with a lifelong obsession with snakes who also keep them in their homes say that venomous snakes and the large constrictors should not be kept in a private home. Too many things can go wrong and there is no one close enough to help.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah "hots" (dangerously venomous) are considered by most in the responsible herping community to be no-nos, usually only crazy people keep them, or those with a scientific reason. If you keep them there's supposed to be a strict hands-off policy. (There are some snakes commonly kept as pets who are mildly venomous but not inclined to bite.)

With large snakes, the rule for responsible keeping is not to have a snake over 8 feet out of its enclosure without at least 2 sober adults around. Most accidents occur when people are. . .impaired and doing something stupid, or the snake makes a sudden move that renders you immobile, which is why you want another adult around. It's generally considered that an average-sized adult can remove a snake under 8 feet by themselves even if it coils on them, if they aren't impaired in some way. There is some variation---some snakes are long but skinny and don't pose a threat, some thicker snakes may be a threat under 8 feet---but that's the basic standard anyway.

It seems like most in the herping community are fairly responsible. Fatal accidents are rare.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A toad jumped out at your head!? Was your head close to the ground or was this a bionic toad?
My head was level with the pot he was in. I was trying to not water him while watering my tomatoes. That was the thanks I got! :lol::running: I do see them way up on the side of my house at night. So I guess one could come from above like some WWE move.:paranoid:
You gotta watch out for toads. Poor toads. So misunderstood. :lol:
View attachment 339832
I like all my yard toads when we respect each other’s space. They can do their thing “over there” while I do mine “over here.” :salam: :agree:

Last evening when I watered my plants one was enjoying the runoff on the patio. He looked like he was saying “aahhhh.”

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I like all my yard toads when we respect each other’s space. They can do their thing “over there” while I do mine “over here.”
I completely understand. I felt that same way about the tarantulas in my yard when I lived in Utah. :)