kicked out of my house

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, wait, I shouldn't say BPs are super easy, because they can be very reluctant eaters. Lenny was quite skinny when I got him too. They won't eat if things aren't perfect, if someone looked at them funny the other day, etc.

The easiest are cornsnakes and boa constrictors. They'll eat upside-down in a thunderstorm. But boas get big so I'd say cornsnakes are best for beginners.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they difficult to care for? Do you have a special tank for them? Do you make them tanks that mimic the kind of environment they'd usually live in?
Ball Pythons are super easy. They are also a docile snake. I have an aquarium/tank, that looks just like a very large fish tank. I have a spot light and night time light (they give off UV) so he can stay warm. The bottom is filled with this soft chunky bark like stuff for reptiles. Then I have a bunch of wood things for him to slither and wrap himself around at different levels, a cave for him to hide under and a water bowl. I used to have a fake plant but it was just a pain.
For cleaning, I do spot cleaning by taking out his shed skin (if any) and poop. And replace the bark every couple of months. When I replace the bark I'll clean the glass in the tank as well. Mine feeds about every 2 weeks if I can get him the right sized rats, but weekly if I have to go smaller. Although, IF he's starting the process of shedding he won't eat so, when I notice his eyes getting cloudy, I don't bother feeding him until he's shed. I've wasted many mice in the beginning not realizing that it's a "thing". Snakes can go several months without eating, so I don't worry If I miss a few feedings.
I also feed him the frozen rodents. Just take out of freezer, place in water to thaw, then I'll put it under the heat lamp to warm it up a bit. That will get his attention, then I just dangle it from the top of the tank and he'll snatch it right up.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, wait, I shouldn't say BPs are super easy, because they can be very reluctant eaters. Lenny was quite skinny when I got him too. They won't eat if things aren't perfect, if someone looked at them funny the other day, etc.
I even heard that some snakes will refuse colored mice and only eat white ones....
Like I already posted, mine is a pretty good eater, as long as he's not in the process of shedding.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can’t believe someone tried to feed a snake crickets. But then people try to make cats vegetarian too so. :sigh: It would be interesting to have a pet that needs to feed soinfrequently. My stepsister had a white rat who loved to swim in their tub. I’d have a hard time feeding them too. My kids will just have to settle for the dozens of toads in our yard! 😜

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Garter snakes will eat any animal smaller than they are that they come across. Frogs, mice, lizards, earthworms, smaller snakes. So, yeah, bugs are probably only part of the diet, it depends where they live.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I thought I'd give an update on my exterminator experience.
We got home just after 9 pm. And as I walked thru the house, I noticed some little drops of (still wet) pesticide in the basement. It's been hot and humid so the basement is damp right now, so not surprising. But, I was panicked trying to wipe up the residue and find ways to keep the cats away. Most places once wiped, the furniture would block access, but I had to be creative with some areas.
Didn't sleep very well last night out of fear that I would wake up to a very sick kitty, even though we kept them away...I was paranoid that I may have missed something. Good news...the cats are well and healthy!!!
I am absolutely exhausted and sore and actually feel sick (stress and lack of sleep messes with my tummy). I was up till close to midnight getting the house in a reasonable state before going to bed, and hardly slept.
I've got more bruises on me than I think I've accumulated in the last year. My big toe is infected after I cut it on something I was moving (I obviously didn't clean it as well as I thought), but it will be fine. I've got a terrible headache that is not being helped by my meds...again another side effect from how I react to stress and lack of sleep.
Side note - many of my family members have inflammatory auto-immune disorders like lupus and fibro, and I fit the bill with many of the symptoms. I don't have an actual diagnosis...but I don't need one. A diagnosis doesn't change treatment options other than heavy pain pills, which I won't take, so I just do my thing.
So having said that, I have completely over exerted myself with all the furniture moving and cleaning I've done over the last few days, so my body is broken. And compounded by the stress and lack of sleep....I'm just hoping I recover in time for when I have to go back to work on Monday.
OK, pity party over....

I'm assuming I will be getting a report soon from the exterminator, as he asked for my e-mail before we left the house yesterday afternoon. So I'm not sure yet what he found. But things are already working, because this morning, when I went into the crawl space, there were dead ants everywhere!!! I counted so far a good 40 or so, and who knows how many are dead in the walls...so yay!
He said to give it two weeks, as it continues to work for that long, and if we still see some, he'll do more treatments. We have a full year warranty with as many treatments we need during that time.
So because this stuff continues to work for two weeks. I'll be getting my Step Dad to come and re-caulk the front door (one of the access points I found) when the two weeks is up. I don't want him removing the residual effects of the pesticide. But I will be sure to have it fixed before we get the exterminator back (if necessary) so we can stop the water from coming in.
Not sure if I mentioned this or not before but I found some water damage in one of the bedrooms, that is currently wet near the access point of where the caulking is all cracked. The floor in the corner if the outside wall, is bouncy and "squishy", and smells a little musty. Here's hoping that it's just some water trapped between the floor and sub-floor, and that it will dry out and I won't have to do too many costly repairs. My Step Dad will help me assess that too, as well as check all the other windows and doors if they need to be re-caulked too. Chances are there is SOME damage to the wood structure, considering that's where the nest is, but hopefully not too extensive. Replacing or reinforcing a few 2x4 or 6s is one thing, but to have to rebild a whole wall and floor system...:gaah::sweat:

The cats and the snake re-adjusted into the home and seem to have completely forgotten their adventure yesterday. All of them are napping right now...it's still hot out today so they're a little more lazy than usual.....as am I...:lol:

I'm taking a break today from everything and will hopefully have the energy to put the house back together tomorrow. I also have to get groceries before starting work, so that's on my list as well.

Any one have any ideas what I should have for dinner????

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rotisserie chicken, deli mac n cheese would hopefully be filling and easy on a "tender" tummy as well :)
Well, hubby agreed to face the heat and grill outside, so we are going to have chicken kabobs, with BBQ seasoning from one of his friends that makes batter and seasoning mixes. It'll be the first time we try this flavor, but I opened the package and it smells great.
We had mac and cheese a few days ago, so won't make it again....but I do love me some mac and cheese!!!
I might make mashed potatoes....not sure yet. And I think some steamed veggies too.

But thanks for the rotisserie chicken idea...that's what prompted the kabob thought.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least it sounds like they got the ants! Fingers crossed.

Clean out that wound good and don't forget the neosporin!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Snakes can go several months without eating, so I don't worry If I miss a few feedings.
There used to be a show on Animal Planet about the Miami Animal Control and they also included a man who had a sanctuary for animals that shouldn't have been in private homes with inexperienced owners. He took in a huge python and it was 10 months before that snake finally ate. He ate a half grown pig, this was a huge snake. He said that 10 months wasn't quite to the point of getting worried.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Male ball pythons don't eat all winter (or whatever winter is in Ghana---dry season?). This is to ensure the survival of the species, so that the females have enough food to make lots of eggs. Sure, we can trick them with strict control of their environment, with lighting, heating, and humidity tricks. But I don't have a snake room that can be controlled like that so my 2 boys don't eat from September to March. And they do fine. They don't even lose any weight. It's just the way their bodies work. Snakes are cool.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Male ball pythons don't eat all winter (or whatever winter is in Ghana---dry season?).
You know, when my boy was younger (let's say, 2 to 10 ish) he was a bad eater. To be honest, I didn't know about the no eating in winter thing, so I wonder if that was the issue back then? I can't remember what time of year it was when he didn't eat. Now that I've had him so long, "on average", he eats every 2 weeks or so. But, I let him tell me when he's hungry. When he starts sniffing (uh....tongue flicking) the top if the tank where I feed him from, I know he's looking for food. That usually happens around the two week mark, except, like I mentioned before, when he starts the shedding process. Like you, there have been times were he hadn't eaten in 5-6 months. I'm going to start paying attention again to when he's hungry or not. I want to see if there's a pattern other than the shedding.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
my 2 boys don't eat from September to March
Reminds me a bit of koi. I had a koi pond when I lived in Michigan. They’d go into torpor (dormant) in September and stop eating when the water temp dropped below 50°F. They wouldn’t eat again until June!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Mine feeds about every 2 weeks if I can get him the right sized rats, but weekly if I have to go smaller. Although, IF he's starting the process of shedding he won't eat so, when I notice his eyes getting cloudy, I don't bother feeding him until he's shed. I've wasted many mice in the beginning not realizing that it's a "thing". Snakes can go several months without eating, so I don't worry If I miss a few feedings.
I also feed him the frozen rodents. Just take out of freezer, place in water to thaw, then I'll put it under the heat lamp to warm it up a bit. That will get his attention, then I just dangle it from the top of the tank and he'll snatch it right up.
He took in a huge python and it was 10 months before that snake finally ate. He ate a half grown pig, this was a huge snake
Wow!
:thud:
They sound like fascinating creatures, but I don't think they're for me. I'll stick to my cats.

:running::petcat:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I thought I'd give an update on my exterminator experience.
We got home just after 9 pm. And as I walked thru the house, I noticed some little drops of (still wet) pesticide in the basement. It's been hot and humid so the basement is damp right now, so not surprising. But, I was panicked trying to wipe up the residue and find ways to keep the cats away. Most places once wiped, the furniture would block access, but I had to be creative with some areas.
Didn't sleep very well last night out of fear that I would wake up to a very sick kitty, even though we kept them away...I was paranoid that I may have missed something. Good news...the cats are well and healthy!!!
I am absolutely exhausted and sore and actually feel sick (stress and lack of sleep messes with my tummy). I was up till close to midnight getting the house in a reasonable state before going to bed, and hardly slept.
I've got more bruises on me than I think I've accumulated in the last year. My big toe is infected after I cut it on something I was moving (I obviously didn't clean it as well as I thought), but it will be fine. I've got a terrible headache that is not being helped by my meds...again another side effect from how I react to stress and lack of sleep.
Side note - many of my family members have inflammatory auto-immune disorders like lupus and fibro, and I fit the bill with many of the symptoms. I don't have an actual diagnosis...but I don't need one. A diagnosis doesn't change treatment options other than heavy pain pills, which I won't take, so I just do my thing.
So having said that, I have completely over exerted myself with all the furniture moving and cleaning I've done over the last few days, so my body is broken. And compounded by the stress and lack of sleep....I'm just hoping I recover in time for when I have to go back to work on Monday.
OK, pity party over....

I'm assuming I will be getting a report soon from the exterminator, as he asked for my e-mail before we left the house yesterday afternoon. So I'm not sure yet what he found. But things are already working, because this morning, when I went into the crawl space, there were dead ants everywhere!!! I counted so far a good 40 or so, and who knows how many are dead in the walls...so yay!
He said to give it two weeks, as it continues to work for that long, and if we still see some, he'll do more treatments. We have a full year warranty with as many treatments we need during that time.
So because this stuff continues to work for two weeks. I'll be getting my Step Dad to come and re-caulk the front door (one of the access points I found) when the two weeks is up. I don't want him removing the residual effects of the pesticide. But I will be sure to have it fixed before we get the exterminator back (if necessary) so we can stop the water from coming in.
Not sure if I mentioned this or not before but I found some water damage in one of the bedrooms, that is currently wet near the access point of where the caulking is all cracked. The floor in the corner if the outside wall, is bouncy and "squishy", and smells a little musty. Here's hoping that it's just some water trapped between the floor and sub-floor, and that it will dry out and I won't have to do too many costly repairs. My Step Dad will help me assess that too, as well as check all the other windows and doors if they need to be re-caulked too. Chances are there is SOME damage to the wood structure, considering that's where the nest is, but hopefully not too extensive. Replacing or reinforcing a few 2x4 or 6s is one thing, but to have to rebild a whole wall and floor system...:gaah::sweat:

The cats and the snake re-adjusted into the home and seem to have completely forgotten their adventure yesterday. All of them are napping right now...it's still hot out today so they're a little more lazy than usual.....as am I...:lol:

I'm taking a break today from everything and will hopefully have the energy to put the house back together tomorrow. I also have to get groceries before starting work, so that's on my list as well.

Any one have any ideas what I should have for dinner????
You need a week of vacation💖

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
They were trying to feed her crickets! She was so skinny, poor thing. But now she's a really good eater, doesn't want to risk starving again I guess, lol.
Well, she's with you now, safe and sound! Doesn't want to risk going w/o food, darling girl. 💖