kicked out of my house

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the exterminator thought it best to kick us out of the house so he can do the big spray job for the carpenter ants.
So for the next 4-5 hours we are taking refuge at my husband's business/shop.
It's me, my husband, the three cats and the snake.
I made a carrying case for the snake out of a clear rubber made container and drilled a bunch of holes in it, I was able to fit his water dish and his two "caves" in it, so he should be good. After I snapped the lid on, I taped the poop out of it, just to be sure he couldn't push the top off, he's pretty strong.
We brought all the fixings for the cats...litter box, food, water, treats, toys, cat bed, and of course they have the carriers if they want. I pre-made some egg salad, so for dinner I'll make some sandwiches. I brought my laptop, hubby brought his play station. We'll probably watch a movie on Netflix at some point. The only thing, I wasn't smart enough to bring something comfy for me to sit on, so I kinda stole a pillow and blanket from the cat's carrier. :paperbag: I can't sit on an office chair for 5 hours. And after the amount of work I had to do around the house emptying closets and moving all our furniture and appliances, as well as cleaning the floors and baseboards so the treatments are more effective, my back hurts!

The cats are doing remarkably well! They're still sniffing up a storm, but seem to have relaxed and are taking breaks for some attention from us. Sweetie (the snake), well, he's....just laying there. I fed him yesterday so he would be calmer today, as it was getting close to feeding time.

Anyway, feel free to help me pass the time...let's have a conversation!!!

Cheers!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the cats just found the window that has a table right under it. All three are huddled together staring outside at the moment.
Bynx has already eaten and peed, Lily has eaten and drank, and Chester ate some treats.

I'm the one who's kinda board...
I think I'll make the sandwiches soon, I'm getting hungry.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the exterminator thought it best to kick us out of the house so he can do the big spray job for the carpenter ants.
So for the next 4-5 hours we are taking refuge at my husband's business/shop.
It's me, my husband, the three cats and the snake.
I made a carrying case for the snake out of a clear rubber made container and drilled a bunch of holes in it, I was able to fit his water dish and his two "caves" in it, so he should be good. After I snapped the lid on, I taped the poop out of it, just to be sure he couldn't push the top off, he's pretty strong.
We brought all the fixings for the cats...litter box, food, water, treats, toys, cat bed, and of course they have the carriers if they want. I pre-made some egg salad, so for dinner I'll make some sandwiches. I brought my laptop, hubby brought his play station. We'll probably watch a movie on Netflix at some point. The only thing, I wasn't smart enough to bring something comfy for me to sit on, so I kinda stole a pillow and blanket from the cat's carrier. :paperbag: I can't sit on an office chair for 5 hours. And after the amount of work I had to do around the house emptying closets and moving all our furniture and appliances, as well as cleaning the floors and baseboards so the treatments are more effective, my back hurts!

The cats are doing remarkably well! They're still sniffing up a storm, but seem to have relaxed and are taking breaks for some attention from us. Sweetie (the snake), well, he's....just laying there. I fed him yesterday so he would be calmer today, as it was getting close to feeding time.

Anyway, feel free to help me pass the time...let's have a conversation!!!

Cheers!
what kinda snake??

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Ball Python. He's just over 20 years old now. No pics I can share right now, sorry, but his markings are similar to this one I found online. Although my boy is bigger than this at almost 5 feet.
1592518164033.png

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's my boa constrictor!:
He's awesome!
I was still a teen living at home wen I was allowed to get him, my dad said I wasn't allowed a boa because they get too big.
My mom's friend had a boa, he grew to 14 feet. He was such a docile guy.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is 20 old, young, or middle aged for a ball python?

Sucks you got kicked out, but hopefully the exterminators will do the job well!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is 20 old, young, or middle aged for a ball python?
From what I've read, 25-30, with good care, is a good age. So he's a bit of an older middle aged man I guess. There have been cases of some living closer to 40, but that would probably be akin to a cat living past 25.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sucks you got kicked out, but hopefully the exterminators will do the job well!
Yeah, and unfortunately, I found some current water damage and a soft spot in a corner of one of my rooms (near the nest, in the floor) I hope the damage is not to bad.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh, I have 3 BPs! Plus the boa. let me see if I can rustle up pictures. Pardon the coffee table mess; I was trying to measure them but they weren't cooperating.

Squiggy, he's a cinnamon lesser:
20171204_201732.jpg

Lenny, he's a pastel:
20171204_200747.jpg

Shirley, she's a normal (and considerably thicker than this now! She was a neglected rescue and took a while to catch up):
20171204_202444.jpg

My mom's friend had a boa, he grew to 14 feet. He was such a docile guy.
I hope he won't get that big! The breeder said he wouldn't, probably top out at 6-8 feet. He's a BCI, not a BCC, plus he's male (female snakes get considerably larger), plus the morphs supposedly don't get as large as normals (he's a motley). His name is Sixx, because he's one of the motley crew. :paperbag:

There is a guy in the Sioux Falls reptile club who has 2 female BCCs who are 12'+. He likes to take them to public parks while wearing his reptile club t-shirt to drum up interest. They're total puppydogs.

Last edited:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we have about 2 hours to go. And I gotta say, I have great cats.
Bynx is being a pain in the rear, which means he's happy. Chester ate some food and has been wanting to cuddle, and is now back at the window, so he's good. And Lily is sleeping in her cat bed. Didn't take long for them to adjust, I'm so glad.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh, I have 3 BPs! Plus the boa. let me see if I can rustle up pictures. Pardon the coffee table mess; I was trying to measure them but they weren't cooperating.

Squiggy, he's a cinnamon lesser:
View attachment 339556

Lenny, he's a pastel:
View attachment 339557

Shirley, she's a normal (and considerably thicker than this now! She was a neglected rescue and took a while to catch up):
View attachment 339558

I hope he won't get that big! The breeder said he wouldn't, probably top out at 6-8 feet. He's a BCI, not a BCC, plus he's male (female snakes get considerably larger), plus the morphs supposedly don't get as large as normals (he's a motley). His name is Sixx, because he's one of the motley crew. :paperbag:

There is a guy in the Sioux Falls reptile club who has 2 female BCCs who are 12'+. He likes to take them to public parks while wearing his reptile club t-shirt to drum up interest. They're total puppydogs.
Poor Shirley, Im happy you gave her a home.💖

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Ohhh! You have a snake! W Willowy you have a couple of snakes! They're so beautiful.

Are they difficult to care for? Do you have a special tank for them? Do you make them tanks that mimic the kind of environment they'd usually live in?

I think the only thing that would put me off having a snake is having to feed them mice and things. I feel bad enough when the cats bring in mice they've caught, squeamish little vegetarian that I am.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Shirley, Im happy you gave her a home.💖
They were trying to feed her crickets! She was so skinny, poor thing. But now she's a really good eater, doesn't want to risk starving again I guess, lol.
I think the only thing that would put me off having a snake is having to feed them mice and things.
Me too, but now they sell nice little frozen mice/rats, so even though I still feel kind of bad about it, I've convinced myself it's no different than buying chicken for the cats, and at least I don't have to look a live rat in the face and them chuck them in the tank (which is also dangerous for the snake, because rats bite!). Not sure I could do that. I'd have like a thousand pet rats! :D

My brother, who is vegetarian, also has snakes, and one of his wouldn't eat frozen/thawed at first so he had to buy live baby rats a couple times. He felt really bad but the desire for his snake not to starve won out.

Ball pythons are super easy to take care of, as long as you don't try to feed them crickets (!). Other species have varying needs, it all depends.