KC the Pregnant Stray

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is a great relief. We might have to take one of the babies to the vet in the morning. It seems like he has fluid in his lungs. I would take him now, but no gets are open. Prayers for this little boy. We will see how he is in the morning.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good luck with the little one. It can be an uphill battle once they get fluid in their lungs when they are this tiny. Hopefully it will clear.

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Turns out he had a full cleft palate. We put him down. The bet checked the others and she said they are fine. Have fun over the rainbow bridge little boy.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Just updating now.  Thank goodness you were there and supporting KC through that, she definitely had a hard time.  6 is a lot of kittens for her to care for.  Very sad that you lost one little boy but KC is still going to be working hard.  Good you were able to notice there were difficulties quickly so the little one didn't suffer.   Lots of vibes that everything goes well for this kitty family from now on.  

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just updating now.  Thank goodness you were there and supporting KC through that, she definitely had a hard time.  6 is a lot of kittens for her to care for.  Very sad that you lost one little boy but KC is still going to be working hard.  Good you were able to notice there were difficulties quickly so the little one didn't suffer.   Lots of vibes that everything goes well for this kitty family from now on.  :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
Thanks. She and the babies seem to be doing great. Can I apply a topical flea treatmeant, or should I wait until the kittens will not be crawling all over her? I also had a serious question. I should be feeding her kitten food because of the protein, correct? I currently fee "Taste of the wild" it is an all stage food. I want to switch "Chicken soup for the cat lovers soul," but I can only find adult near me. If I buy this and feed it to Kasey will giving her egg yolks (from our chickens) and KMR be okay, or do I have to stick with a kitten or an all stage food?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can safely apply a topical flea treatment to KC's neck. It will treat her fleas and any on the babies.

Any wet food that has protein - meat, poultry, or fish - as the first ingredient is a good option. It does not have to be kitten food. An egg yolk or KMR can be mixed into her wet food for extra protein and calcium.

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can safely apply a topical flea treatment to KC's neck. It will treat her fleas and any on the babies.

Any wet food that has protein - meat, poultry, or fish - as the first ingredient is a good option. It does not have to be kitten food. An egg yolk or KMR can be mixed into her wet food for extra protein and calcium.
Okay. I wasn't sure if the flea medicine could hurt the babies. That is great to hear. I know that 'Chicken soup' is a lot better than the food I am currently feeding. We always have a lot of eggs. We eventually want to switch the cats over to raw food. But until then 'chicken soup' will be there food.

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
These fat babies are 12 days old now. There eyes have already started to ooen. They started a few days ago.

This is the boy.

These photos are of the girls.

And these are some pictures I took today. They are so cute.

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry @Handsome Kitty I just saw that  people replied. There are 2 that are all black, 1 that is half gray and half black, and 1 that is striped just like Kasey. She is fostering 2 six week olds (I think) and 4 four week olds (I think.) Kasey is getting KMR once a day, 1 can of wet food once a day, and unlimited dry kibble. She also gets an egg yoke. I try to give her one a day, but she doesn't always eat it. The six week olds only nurse on her at night. During the day they get wet food, KMR, and kibble soaked in KMR. When is it okay to give them kibble that is not soaked in KMR? These are the two 6 week olds please let me know if you thin their age is wrong. They grey one is a boy and the black one is a girl.

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is busy. I am also bottle feeding some of the babies. I am trying to make it as easy as possible. Do these babies look to be 6 weeks old?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am concerned that she is nursing too many kittens! Are her own recently born kittens nursing around the clock and getting enough milk to grow on? Her own kittens should come first and not get bottle fed at all.

She does not need to be nursing six-week-olds, and you need to begin offering mush to the four-week-olds. You can bottle feed these kittens.

Where did all these kittens come from?

Last edited:

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am concerned that she is nursing too many kittens! Are her own recently born kittens nursing around the clock and getting enough milk to grow on? Her own kittens should come first and not get bottle fed at all.

She does not need to be nursing six-week-olds, and you need to begin offering mush to the four-week-olds. You can bottle feed these kittens.

Where did all these kittens come from?
The six week olds only nurse at night and that is because Kasey stays with all 11 of them at night. The four week olds have been offered the mush, but they refuse to eat it which is why I am bottle feeding 2 of them. Yes Kasey kittens are getting as much as they need. I take her 5 out of the pen that the kittens sleep in during the day so that they are with Kasey all of the time. Every other hour I put in two of the 4 week olds. Kasey has maintained the same weight. She doesn't stay in the room with them all of the time. The 6 week olds I got from a neighbor two weeks ago. He was getting rid of them he had been feeding them crushed up crackers. The other four I found in a bag on the side of the road. I am doing everything possible to make this easy for Kasey.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, how incredibly sad!

Found in a bag! And feeding crushed up crackers! Those people should not be allowed to own cats. The man who was feeding crackers to the kittens he was "getting rid of" needs his cat spayed asap.

Now you have your hands full!

It does sound like you are making it easier for KC, thank goodness, while still allowing all kittens some mama cat time and nursing - be it through mom's nipples or bottles. As long as you are okay bottle feeding, I'm in favor of the four-week-olds continuing to get bottles. They are a bit young to wean yet unless KC was struggling. I do suggest giving her two cans of wet food a day right now though instead of one.

Thanks for saving all of these kittens! What's your game plan as far as finding homes and/or getting them fixed down the road?

ryan glenn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes it is very sad. I keep trying to get him to fix his cats, but he wants to by alcohol instead, that is also why he is feeding his cats crackers. The four week olds nurse off of Kasey, but not nearly as often as her three week olds. I was giving her 2 a day, but she doesn't eat that much. That is why I switched to one. The gray baby pictured above has a home lined up, he and his sister are getting fixed on the 29th and they will each be going to new homes about 5 days later. The others will be fixed and then will find new homes when they are 10 weeks. Half of the money I get form them I am going to take and by toys and food for a rescue near me. The rest of the money I am going to use to stock up on cat food and KMR for the next time I rescue a cat.