Jigsaws

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've done 1,000 piece ones that have been easy and some that are hard. Some brands are tougher than others. I find Bits and Pieces brand to be tough. White Mountain ones tend to be easier but it depends on the picture as well. Check the finished size as well. Some 1,000 piece ones end up being large and I don't know how big of an area you have.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm leaning towards 1000 pieces again, and have found these ones on Amazon that I like.
Do any of them look like they'd be more difficult or less difficult.

1705599445937.png

1705599399493.png

1705599308495.png

Check the finished size as well. Some 1,000 piece ones end up being large and I don't know how big of an area you have.
Good point about the size. I do them on the end of my kitchen table, so only so much space. The tiger one was 54 cm x 38 cm, so even the largest of the 3 above would fit ok, I think. Though the peacock one clearly has the wrong size, but googling found it's 51 x 69 cm.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I started a new puzzle yesterday, one that I bought on Amazon during their Black Friday sales. I like the image but had never heard of this manufacturer out of China, HUADADA, and thought the puzzle might be a waste of money.

Opened it yesterday, beautiful crisp colors, a variety of piece shapes and solid feeling pieces that fit and stay together. A pleasant surprise and big thumbs up. This puzzle also has something I haven’t seen before - The back of each piece is labeled A,B,C,D, each corresponding to a side of the puzzle and sort of a hint system if someone wanted to use that to figure out where pieces might go. I will try not to use that but I can see it might be handy for more difficult puzzles or the last few pieces.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finally decided on a puzzle from Amazon. It's a 1000 piece one, and different from the ones I was considering above. It does have cats, as even when I consider something different, I fall back on my love of cats. :catlove:

The new puzzle arrives tomorrow, however, I can't start it till I finish this 500 piece one, which has turned out to be more difficult than I was expecting.

IMG_6047.jpg

This puzzle also has something I haven’t seen before - The back of each piece is labeled A,B,C,D, each corresponding to a side of the puzzle and sort of a hint system if someone wanted to use that to figure out where pieces might go. I will try not to use that but I can see it might be handy for more difficult puzzles or the last few pieces.
I saw that letter labeling mentioned in some of the Amazon puzzle reviews. Wonder if you'll end up referencing them, or not.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I finally decided on a puzzle from Amazon. It's a 1000 piece one, and different from the ones I was considering above. It does have cats, as even when I consider something different, I fall back on my love of cats. :catlove:

The new puzzle arrives tomorrow, however, I can't start it till I finish this 500 piece one, which has turned out to be more difficult than I was expecting.

View attachment 469011

I saw that letter labeling mentioned in some of the Amazon puzzle reviews. Wonder if you'll end up referencing them, or not.
I suspect when I get to the boring last few pieces I may.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since it looks like it's going to be a while finishing my 1000 piece jigsaw, maybe I'll post Friday updates. I started on Tuesday, and this is how much I've managed to get done so far. It's tricky, as it will look like the missing piece should be one colour and it turns out to look completely different.

IMG_6075.jpg

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Here are some we've completed recently:

This is a Cobble Hill and my first thrift one that was missing a piece. I liked the quality of Cobble Hill

IMG_7043 (1).jpg

The is "I love New England" by White Mountain. It went really quick:

IMG_7054.jpg

Another White Mountain one -

IMG_7066.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished my first 1000 piece jigsaw. It was so much fun watching each of the different cats appear. Took me 16 days, so feel I got good enjoyment value from the money I spent.

Few pics of progress since my last post. It got more difficult when it got down to just the whites and light colours.

SATURDAY:
IMG_6108.jpg

MONDAY:
IMG_6112.jpg

TUESDAY:
IMG_6113.jpg

WEDNESDAY:
IMG_6121.jpg

COMPLETED:
IMG_6125.jpg

The box cover, if anyone is interested.
IMG_6127.jpg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Finished another puzzle and a second time in a row being impressed by the quality of a puzzle maker, Quokka, I knew nothing of. Distributed by a Delaware company, produced in China. Another maker I would definitely buy from again.
IMG_0740.jpeg

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Finished another puzzle and a second time in a row being impressed by the quality of a puzzle maker, Quokka, I knew nothing of. Distributed by a Delaware company, produced in China. Another maker I would definitely buy from again.
View attachment 471602
Oh, that looks like a fun one, lots of detail!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Finished another puzzle and a second time in a row being impressed by the quality of a puzzle maker, Quokka, I knew nothing of.
I've never heard of them either!

I never want to do another Eurographics puzzle again. This was awful to do. All of the pieces are the same shape and it didn't hold together at all. If you just brushed against it all the pieces came apart.

IMG_7169.jpg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of them either!

I never want to do another Eurographics puzzle again. This was awful to do. All of the pieces are the same shape and it didn't hold together at all. If you just brushed against it all the pieces came apart.

View attachment 471723
Two of my biggest peeves about puzzles - the falling apart when you try to move them just drives me crazy and pieces nearly all the same just annoys me. One other irritating thing, which I have encountered in recent Buffalo games, is puzzle pieces of identical shape so they fit in a spot perfectly but it’s the wrong piece.