Is this starving stray pregnant, or has she had her kittens?/ Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, @Lady paw paw, I have not seen kittens that small since my childhood. How gorgeous. Maybe you could give them temporary names until they were big enough to show some personality and work out a name based on their character?

The cat I lost after 17+ years with him was a big ginger and white tabby.  From the photo, two of yours are ginger tabbies?  He had a name when I got him, as he was wearing an RSPCA ID on his collar and the Association was able to give me a little of his history.  They told me his  name was Chewbacca - Chewy for short (the big hairy ginger character from Star Wars).  I didn't change it as he was an adult when I got him and I thought it was kind of cute anyway. The name suited his personality.

When you're sure of the sex of the kittens it'll be easier to name them.

So pleased to hear your previous kitties went together to a farm. Lucky cats!  What a happy ending. 

lady paw paw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
checkers checkers Yes. It's a happy ending for the kittens. But their mother was missing them a lot. But luckily, this foster cat and my lady paw paw have become quiet pally and lady is quiet taken with the kIttens... so I'm happy for her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There's Ginge just melting my heart. She looks so sweet! And kissing Minstrel - oh my! Too precious looking at your mom while she speaks. I would adopt all three if I were in Australia! :)

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@sarthur2, I asked about Checkers today when I went to the refuge (to have the kittens' claws clipped). She was adopted on 29 April, so she didn't have to wait long before she was chosen.

And I learnt a few things today in the refuge's foster department. Firstly, how to give kittens a tablet. I was dreading it, so took the tablets with me today and asked them to show me as they were due for the worming tablet today. They do have a good technique and after a demonstration, I was able to do it fairly easily. You're probably aware of it but I'll mention it in case it's useful.  You hold the kitten by the scruff of the neck to immobise it, push the tablet to the back of the throat with one finger, hold the mouth closed and blow one puff of breath on the cat's face (this causes them to swallow). You then gently give their neck a little rub. The hardest part was prising their mouth open but once it's open, it's pretty straightforward.   Maybe I was just lucky today.

I also learnt that covering their cage while travelling reduced the stress.  I went to the refuge (about a 15-minute drive) with the cage uncovered and they (well, mainly Ginge) cried loudly all the way.  The refuge gave me a cover for the cage and I didn't hear peep out of them on my way home.

I'm not sure about the claw clipping. It hasn't stopped them climbing, which is good, but it didn't stop the harsh scratches on my mother's skin. In fact, she got the worse scratch she's had from Ginge today about 5 mins after their return from the clipping trip.  And I did notice some blood on one of Ginge's claws when I got home from the refuge. She struggled badly having them clipped so I'm not blaming the person who clipped her as she tried hard with a struggling kitten and  she said she would only remove the very tip of them and it may not make that much difference.  It hasn't stopped them playing wildly, as usual, so it doesn't appear to have upset them.

BTW, the diarrhoea has gone since I've taken them off the wet food. Minstrel has been vomitting for a few days, but doesn't otherwise appear ill.

That's the latest from Checkers' litter .

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Happy dance for Checkers being adopted so quickly! :)

Apparently, Ginge needed you to know that she wanted no part of the car trip, the pill-taking, or the nail trimming. I'm sorry your mom got a fresh scratch. It sounds like Ginge was doing some acting out of her little feelings once home.

Didn't know they were having diarrhea, or that Minstrel was vomiting. Something about the wet food didn't agree I suppose. Good you stopped it.

Has the refuge indicated how much longer you'll have the babies? I shall miss these discussions when they are gone!

:) :) :)

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks again @sarthur2  .  I didn't check again with the refuge about how much longer they thought I would have them, but they did say it would be when they reached 1100 grams. If they keep growing at the current rate (all over 800 grams) I think it will be in about 2 weeks' time.  Or maybe I could cut down on their food to keep them a bit longer....

I must defend Ginge. None of them have expressed any nastiness at all.  Her new scratches of Mum's leg were just her wanting to get back up on her lap, via her legs. As someone said to me the other day, it won't be long until they can jump on your lap and not have to climb up your leg.

Yes, at least two of the kittens had diarrhea, and Minstrel vomits occasionally.  He is passing normal stools, is gaining weight, and is very active most of the time. They are eating well, and all drink a fair bit of water. 

Thanks again for your interest and concern. I will keep you posted.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Question for those of you who have adult cats they've had from kittens

Can anyone tell me if the nature and temperament displayed in individual kittens is carried through to their adulthood, or do they change?

I have a couple of people interested in choosing a kitten from my litter. One hopes to come this afternoon (they can't take the kittens yet, but they can choose).  I'm wondering if my describing their current temperaments and apparent nature is at all relevant for what is to come.

Would love any feedback.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Checkers.

I've got a lot of cats that I've had since they were 3 ~ 4 months old. A little older than your brood, I know. Apart from becoming a little more confident (These are all ex-feral cats) they've all kept their personalities. The clowns are still the clowns, the shy ones are still shy and the bossy ones still bossy.

Hope that helps.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Norachan, that is very helpful. Many thanks! I can't see why it would be any different at 8 weeks, than 3 to 4 months, but it will be interesting to hear what others say.

lady paw paw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
checkers checkers in my experience, they do mature a little with age... but their main characteristics stay the same... its just a little change... but nothig major

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with Lady Paw Paw. That has been my experience with felines I acquired at just a few weeks old and who lived with me into old age. They mellow a bit, but basic personality remains the same.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much @Lady paw paw  and @sarthur2  .  Sounds llike everyone's in agreement on this one. Very interesting and very useful.

Looks like my three foster kitties are all going to be smoochy types, and lapcats. They get on so well together. I imagine they would continue to do so if they stayed together into old age too. Oh how I wish they could.

lady paw paw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll surely miss getting updates about your precious kitties.. they've becone a part of my life now... i look forward to reading about them ever each day :)

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A kitty update from last night's exploits

The problem of my elderly mother getting nasty skin tears from the kittens seems to have been solved. She now wears a quilt wherever she goes. A little awkward, but safe -  if you don't need to get anywhere in a hurry!  
After a play, they settled down for a snooze on the quilt draped over my mother's legs.

Cuddling 'Nanna', who is 'terrified' of Ginge. 
Yep, Ginge has wormed her way into my mother's arms. 

Speaking of worms, I bought them a catnip-infused rubbery worm which they were very cautious about, but then, as usual, Possum took the brave lead to investigate.

Ginge has also wormed her way onto my mother's bed, which has always been out of bounds, and she's getting away with it.

All the kittens are fascinated by the TV.  Here's Minstrel checking the ABC weather report from level one of the cat tree.

And this is Possum watching TV from the top of the cat tree.

And finally Minstrel, looking very innocent beside a vase of flowers which he then proceeded to bury his nose in but fortunately I grabbed him in time before he upended it.

You really do need to redecorate when you have kittens loose in the house!  Minimalist is the key, I think.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Darling!

I must say, the pic with the worm......they do not have that look of innocence, they look like a cat who ate the mouse, especially Minstrel!

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ha ha.  Yes, I see what you mean @catwoman707  !  It certainly does look like that, but at that point, Minstrel hadn't touched the scary worm.

Funny how their different personalities are revealed when it comes to different situations.  Fear?  Possum is usually in the lead and Ginge is at the back of the queue.  Food and a cuddle?  Ginge beats the others to the lead every time.  

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
They're lovely, I'm quite smitten with them all. I used to have a rubber worm like that for my cats, but it got taken outside and buried somewhere in their enclosure. A lot of their toys suffer the same fate. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, Ginge's little crossed paws!!! I can't stand it. They seem to know just whose heart they need to melt, don't they? ;)

Love the quilt idea! Solves the problem for now anyway.

Your pictures are so wonderful. It's becoming like a storybook. I do not want this story to end! :)

catquestionss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Those kittens are toooo cute, are you keeping any or giving them all up for adoption??

Status
Not open for further replies.