Is this starving stray pregnant, or has she had her kittens?/ Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you @Norachan!  Yes, they're in safe keeping now, and loving each others' company. And they were amazingly healthy despite their shaky start - all thanks to a good mother cat who persisted negotiating the distances to keep them fed. Better than lots of human mothers!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is so exciting! I must say, I felt bereft on your behalf last evening, and was wishing you could keep the little family together for at least a couple of more weeks. And we would so enjoy your pictures! I do understand the skin tear issues though. I'm sure you will make the proper decision. Please keep us posted. We will all do the happy dance if they come back for a bit! :)

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here’s the promised update on the mother cat and the finally found five kittens. 

The RSPCA said the kittens were all healthy.  They were very impressed with the mother, saying she was beautiful, but they said the five kittens were too big a drain on her and as they were now eating solids (at six weeks old) they decided it was time to separate them.

Mother cat is having her de-sexing operation today, and once recovered will be put up for adoption.  They feel she will be easily re-homed.  (I’ll keep an eye on that.) 

The RSPCA gave me the option of fostering 3 of the 5 kittens, on the proviso that if it doesn’t work out with my elderly mother, I can bring them back to them.  That did it for me.  Time to do your happy dance @sarthur2!  I’m collecting them tonight!  Ginge, Minstrel and Possum.

At the instigation of the RSPCA, the local paper has run a story on the kittens. I did give the paper much more information about how helpful this cat forum was, but they had to cut the story considerably in size and that part was deleted.  Here’s a link if anyone is interested. 

http://www.couriermail.com.au/quest...d-their-way-home/story-fni9r1nj-1227306405024

I'll post an update, with pics, after a little while.  

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Happy dance!!! :)

So excited you will be fostering 3 of the kittens! Looking forward to more incredible pictures! What is the status of the other 2 babies?

I love the article! Thank you for telling them about the forum, even though they had to cut it. We all know the backstory we shared together on here ;).

We now also know that pet trackers really work! Hurray!

And please let us know how Checkers makes out from her surgery today. Will you be allowed to see her when you pick up the kittens?

I have to guess that as attractive as mom and the kittens are, and with all the publicity, your little dolls will be quickly adopted.

But in the meantime, I'm still happy-dancing!
:) :) :)

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you @sarthur2  . It's a great outcome, isn't it, when there are so many tragic stories out there.

I didn't think to ask if I could see the mother cat when I pick up the babies. I might just do that if she's out of her anesthetic. I will definitely check on her condition.

The other two kittens are going to another foster family. The RSPCA told me they weighed 500g now, and needed to be 1.1 kilograms before they could be put up for adoption (and I think de-sexing comes at that point).

Will keep you posted. Heading off to the shelter soon.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for asking @Checkers!  They are amazing little bundles of energetic joy who didn't take long (like, 2 mins) to settle in and run their little legs off in the house.  I confine them to the bathroom for most of the time which I've set up with their food, litter tray, water, a lined box for a bed (which they love), a scratch pole, and some things to climb on in the bathtub (to get them out if they fall in, as one did - no water in the tub, of course).  I let them out for play periods when I'm home.

The refuge gave me medication (preventative for worms and parasites)  to give them daily, initially, and that now reduces in frequency over the next few weeks.  The two initial meds are a liquid administered via syringe into the mouth. One of the meds, called Baycox, is hideous.  It causes them to gag and froth at the mouth. I called the refuge to find out if something was wrong and they assured me the medication always did that as it was so horrible to taste. The poor kittens.  I wish they'd invent something more acceptable. They advised me I could give both medications together in the one syringe, which I've since done. I've also added a bit of lactose-free milk to dilute it further, and the kittens seem to tolerate it a bit more.  And they still love me, so that's a relief 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
They're all so sweet. Minstrel has got to be my favourite, I think.

Any chance you could ship him over to Japan for me?

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now that would be a real adventure for him, @Norachan  !  Interesting to see where all these comments are coming from.  The US, Australia, and now Japan! My nextdoor neighbour is Japanese and visits her family there. Maybe she could hide him in her luggage. He is so handsome!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I am in Florida, but don't need any kittens, as the ones I'm raising are 4.5 weeks old and very rambunctious, but sweet!

Those kittens are so cute! That was a lovely update. So glad to hear that all is going well. To think what their fate might have been if you hadn't gone to the efforts that you did.

Little Ginge misses her mommy. I had a cat once who suckled for the rest of her life on a stuffed teddy that I provided for her. After many years of the kitty creating "nipples" from the teddy's fur to suckle, he was a sad-looking bear, but our kitty was comforted!

I'm thinking, like you, that her diarrhea has been from the medication. I'll keep in mind to dilute with a bit of formula when it comes time to give mine medicines. That's a good idea.

Hopefully mama kitty is nicely recovered and will find a forever home soon!

So glad you have three of her kittens to enjoy for now. I'm sure they are happy to have each other for company. So sweet the little boy comforts his sister!

Keep us updated! :)

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ah I can't stand it!!!  I always say that every time I see kitten pictures - but it never seems to wear off.

My bottle-fed kitties still suckle regularly - I think it's very comforting to them - though I can't believe my clothing tastes all that great. 

Never heard of worming meds having that kind of effect, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will weigh in on that.  :)

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for this info re the cat enclosures.  I didn't see it until just now. (Maybe it was delayed due to the link needing to be checked out.)  They look terrific.

I will definitely look into them further.  Not sure if Amazon shipping to Australia would be a possibility or affordable, but I'll investigate. 

I'm getting them a bigger cat scratching tree tonight.  (I bought it 2nd hand online.)  I'm hoping it will give my furniture and curtains a bit of a break!

And thank you for the compliment on the photos. I can't help clicking when they're playing, and many have to be deleted because they're a bit blur with all their fast movement. 

Minstrel has taken to sleeping in my shoes. I must post a pic of him. I took some more last night.  

lady paw paw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@checkers I read this forum from the first post to the last and it felt like a very interesting novel! Someone needs to make it into a Disney movie! But I must applaud you for your perseverance... 6 kitties have a better life today because you took the tone and effort to care about them. I myself had a pregnant cat show up at my doorstep and adopted her. Just recently I gave up her babies for adoption. It truly is a wonderful feeling:) loads of love from india to you :)

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much @Lady paw paw.  And from India!  Yes, it would make a great Disney movie.

I agree - it's a great feeling to see the babies healthy and placed in good homes. How wonderful too that you decided to keep the mother.

The happy ending made the trials along the five-week way pale into insignificance.

I've just returned from the physio (treatment partly for falling over a garden wall in the dark in a stranger's back yard while looking for the kittens!) and from the reaction from staff and patients to the story and the photos I think I have homes for all the kittens now!  

They do have to remain with me as a foster parent until they are about twice the size they are now. I then return them to the RSPCA for de-sexing, immunisations, etc. I'm sure the RSPCA would be happy if I said I had homes for them all when they are returned, and the adopters in waiting can pay the adoption fee to the shelter and not have to compete for them.

lady paw paw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're kitten are too cute! and with the organizations, I'm sure you will find them good homes... sadly, here, there aren't many such organizations so i had to depend on Facebook communities for help... but it all worked out... my kittes got loving homes :) here they are... when they were with me...

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here’s puss in boots, as promised.  When the 3 kittens run themselves to exhaustion, they always return to their bed in the bathroom for a sleep.  But Minstrel  must have been too sleepy and found my shoes on the way.

Ginge is still winning everyone's heart:

And I just love grey cats. They have the best natures, in my experience.  Here's Possum:

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Lady paw paw, your kittens are adorable.  And SO much alike. (I had only two alike and the others were totally different.)  My last cat who died more than a year ago now would have looked just like your kittens once, and grew into a very large (6.4kg) ginger boy.  I guess he would have been about 20 years old when he died.  How wonderful that those kittens' mother found you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
checkers checkers

Sorry to hear about the garden mishap :( .

If I were in your town, I'd hire you to take pictures of my kittens! Who can resist a kitten in a shoe?! How adorable! And the grey kitty looking so regal and self-satisfied in your beautiful chair! My heart melts!

Any chance of your keeping Ginge for yourself? I'm sure the shelter would be happy to give you first dibs! But they will all receive first-class homes regardless.

Isn't it fun to have the house filled with the sound of little paws scampering about? (In spite of little kitten messes.) You will surely have a scrapbook full of fun memories!

So glad you get to keep them for a few more weeks so we can enjoy stories and pictures vicariously. I have truly enjoyed this thread and look forward to all of the positive news!

Still happy dancing for you! :) :) :)

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aw, thank you @sarthur2! I have very photogenic subjects!

I would love to keep Ginge - in fact, all three. I'll see how my mother travels with them over the next little while.

And yes, the sound of little paws scampering across the wooden floors is gorgeous.  The sound of happiness!  And when silence comes, you know they've stopped for a nap, or they're up to something!

Keep up that happy dance!

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh that's great news!  Sorry to hear about the injury. 

You know I was absolutely sure you were going to turn out to be a man because of the technology angle.  I was so surprised when you said one of th ekittens was playing under your skirt!  So much for my internet intuition. 

Status
Not open for further replies.