Is this starving stray pregnant, or has she had her kittens?/ Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

deidrahall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What an amazing story here!  Better than watching "Days of our Lives" lol.  So happy all turned out well 
 What adorable kittens and mama kitty!!!!!!!!!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ISRAEL! @Stewball, this forum is amazing. We really do come from all around the globe.  I'm afraid these 3 kitties have become used to the good life, so we'd have to fly them 1st class with an attendant carer (one who knows them well 
).

Let me know if you're still interested.  

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you @deidrahall  ! It's been 'Days of Our Lives' for me too!  My dr gave me the results of my MRI last night. Have to have knee surgery asap (from my fall over a stranger's garden wall in my search for the kittens which, at that stage, I wasn't sure existed).  I hope I have the kittens settled in time for the surgery.   

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@KittnsWhiskers  , I have only just seen your post about claw clipping. I didn't know claw removal was done at all.  How horrific.  Many thanks for your advice. Another forum member introduced me to those claw protectors, and I asked the refuge if I could use them. They said they didn't approve them as  they interfered with the cats' natural instincts and defences. They did agree to clip just the tips off, which has made things a little better in terms of them getting hooked on things around the house (including their scratching post).  

Ginge has an unfortunate compulsion to climb up your body and walk around your neck.  This morning she lept from somewhere (I was outside the house so didn't see it) onto her shoulders and Mum couldn't get her off. Ginge makes sure she gets in such a position to make it very hard for you to remove her!  So I had some more wound dabbing to do before I left for work. I certainly hope she grows out of that habit!

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No more joy than a free toy

There are some wonderful cat toys and entertainment gadgets out there, but I reckon it's a bit like babies with saucepans - grocery boxes and bags seem to be the most popular.  

Last night's fun and games....

I’ve noticed  the black in Minstrel’s coat is not a solid color. It has faint tabby markings of various shades of black throughout. You can just see it in this photo.  'Black tabby', I'm guessing. Very attractive, I think.  @kntrygrl256  , did your George have those patterns in his black coat?  

A happy yawn from Ginge on my mother’s lap last night.  From the biggest in the litter, she is now the smallest, despite her appetite. She's appears very healthy though. Maybe the fact that her siblings are male simply means they're likely to outgrow her?

Possum’s grey and white ‘marble’ coat is looking more stunning as he grows.  From the smallest in the litter, he is now the biggest. 

From blue-eyed babies, it looks like all three will  have varying shades of green eyes.  At this stage they are lighter and most outstanding in Minstrel against his velvety black fur.

And that’s it for today’s update on these three happy, healthy kitties.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh wow, @Checkers.. more gorgeous shots, and don't they look happy?! 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

ISRAEL! @Stewball, this forum is amazing. We really do come from all around the globe.  I'm afraid these 3 kitties have become used to the good life, so we'd have to fly them 1st class with an attendant carer (one who knows them well 
).

Are you shopping around for the highest bidder by any chance? 

Well, I can't afford to pay for first class air travel but maybe Minstrel and his carer could be persuaded by my attractive location? Great Japanese food, a huge forest to walk through, lovely views of Mount Fuji?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ISRAEL! @Stewball
, this forum is amazing. We really do come from all around the globe.  I'm afraid these 3 kitties have become used to the good life, so we'd have to fly them 1st class with an attendant carer (one who knows them well :) ).

You bet I'm interested. They'd have to jolly good life here with me too. I'll just cancel my upcoming trip to England, where I was born. Came here age 23 and now pushing 71!!! Where have the years gone.
I have two. An abandoned siamese called whisky, he'll be 3 in December, and a black and white street cat, he'll be 2 next month. Proper brothers.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I’ve noticed  the black in Minstrel’s coat is not a solid color. It has faint tabby markings of various shades of black throughout. You can just see it in this photo.  'Black tabby', I'm guessing. Very attractive, I think.  @kntrygrl256  , did your George have those patterns in his black coat?  

A happy yawn from Ginge on my mother’s lap last night.  From the biggest in the litter, she is now the smallest, despite her appetite. She's appears very healthy though. Maybe the fact that her siblings are male simply means they're likely to outgrow her?

Possum’s grey and white ‘marble’ coat is looking more stunning as he grows.  From the smallest in the litter, he is now the biggest. 

From blue-eyed babies, it looks like all three will  have varying shades of green eyes.  At this stage they are lighter and most outstanding in Minstrel against his velvety black fur.

Love the stripes on Minstrel! It just adds to his beauty, and no George didn't, he was black black with the white. Ginge looks like she's laughing at you and Possum is getting so pretty with his colouring.

The first thing I do when I get to work is log in to check the updates on the Aussie 3, lol. It always gets my morning started off on a positive note with a smile on my face.

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You bet I'm interested. They'd have to jolly good life here with me too. I'll just cancel my upcoming trip to England, where I was born. Came here age 23 and now pushing 71!!! Where have the years gone.
I have two. An abandoned siamese called whisky, he'll be 3 in December, and a black and white street cat, he'll be 2 next month. Proper brothers.

@Stewball, I'm sure they'd have an idyllic life with you and your two stunning cats. Maybe teleporting is the answer?

I love seeing my three foster kittens nestled together, but to see adult cats like yours, from totally different backgrounds, cuddling like that really warms the cockles!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Stewball
, I'm sure they'd have an idyllic life with you and your two stunning cats. Maybe teleporting is the answer? :)  

I love seeing my three foster kittens nestled together, but to see adult cats like yours, from totally different backgrounds, cuddling like that really warms the cockles!
Thank you.
Beam me up Scottie!!!

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Checkers   I was just looking  back at the first pictures you posted of Ginge and the ones from today and it's amazing how much they have grown in this short amount of time. You have done a wonderful job with them.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

I just went searching for a kitten forum and found this wonderful site. Responses to others' questions have been very helpful.

Thirteen nights ago an emaciated, boney, starving young cat appeared in my yard. It didn't take much coaxing and I fed it. (Fortunately I had cat food from recently fostering a cat.) The poor thing was ravenous and wolfed down bowl after bowl of food until its sunken sides were bulging.

I took the cat to my local vet to do a microchip ID check. The result was: no microchip, and a pregnant female. The vet said she could have already had the kittens as there was milk in her teats. So plans to take her to a local refuge were dashed as I had to take her home in case kittens were somewhere in the neighbourhood needing their mother.  The vet said she would probably bring the kittens to me if I continued to feed her. 

She has returned nightly, consuming several bowls of wet and dry food a night, and milk (lactose-free). She is affectionate, loves chin and neck scratches, but won't let me pick her up and doesn't like her lower back being patted. I can't feel kitten movement and the same pattern has continued - hollowed sides in the morning and bulging sides after dinner.

An internet site said milk comes into the teats two days before a cat gives birth. If that's right, the kittens were either born when I found the mother, or within two days of being born.  She's increasingly spending longer periods at my house, and today has spent most of the day here so if there are kittens, they're not getting much attention. 

I have had plenty to do with adult cats, but not pregnant females or kittens so I'm at a loss. Apparently in some cats an ultrasound is needed if it's not obvious if kittens have been born.  I've  set up a birthing box but she's not interested in it. I see from your forum here, though, that they may not be interested  - if at all - until the last minute.

After another massive dinner last night, this morning when she arrived I could see for the first time her teats protruding and the fur around them is no longer covering them. Until now, they've been hard to see (yet the vet said they had milk in them 10 days ago).

From your experience, would anyone feel they know from this information if the kittens have been born? Do the teats suddenly appear prominently and protruded before the kittens are actually born?

I have arranged to hire a tracking device in 3 days' time to see if I can find out where she goes when she leaves my home in the hope that it's to her kittens, if they're born.

Many thanks for any advice you might have.
What kind of vet would not know if a cat is pregnant or has already had kittens? It's pretty obvious when a cat is close to giving birth. Sides would be bulging and you can feel the kittens moving around. It sounds as if this cat is a mama already but may have lost her kitten(s) which is why she is hanging around your house so much. Your vet does not sound like much of a prize, I would take the cat elsewhere.   

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If you read through the whole thread the mystery is solved! The kittens were found, the mother cat spayed and adopted. Check out the rest of the thread, there are some lovely photos.

What kind of vet would not know if a cat is pregnant or has already had kittens? It's pretty obvious when a cat is close to giving birth. Sides would be bulging and you can feel the kittens moving around. It sounds as if this cat is a mama already but may have lost her kitten(s) which is why she is hanging around your house so much. Your vet does not sound like much of a prize, I would take the cat elsewhere.   

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@segelkatt, thanks for your comment but  as @Norachan  said, the kittens have been found. They were all healthy.

Regarding your comment on the vet not being much chop if he couldn't tell whether a cat had given birth or not, I too was shocked at the time. I did do some internet research and was surprised to discover it can be hard to know in some cases.  A cousin of mine told me the first time her very small female cat was pregnant, she was bulging to the point that they were worried she may not cope with the births as she was such a small cat.  But the second time the cat fell pregnant (and it won't happen again as she's been desexed), my cousin didn't know until after the birth. 

Someone with more experience may be able to elaborate, but fortunately in this case, if it hadn't been for the vet noticing that the cat was either pregnant or had given birth, the mother cat would have gone to the refuge for desexing and rehoming, and the kittens would have been abandoned.  At that stage they would have been one week old.

They're progressing well.

D

Deleted member 73596

No more joy than a free toy

There are some wonderful cat toys and entertainment gadgets out there, but I reckon it's a bit like babies with saucepans - grocery boxes and bags seem to be the most popular.  

Last night's fun and games....

I’ve noticed  the black in Minstrel’s coat is not a solid color. It has faint tabby markings of various shades of black throughout. You can just see it in this photo.  'Black tabby', I'm guessing. Very attractive, I think.  @kntrygrl256
 , did your George have those patterns in his black coat?  

You said ginge is now the smallest..
She probably just takes after her mom.

Soo cute :)

I want to call ginge ginger..

Last edited by a moderator:

checkers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good point, @peony.  Little Ginge might take after her mother in size too, although she's kind of round rather than long and slender!  A healthy kitten thing, no doubt. 

Although I won't know the future of the mother, 'Checkers', now she has been adopted, I'll bet she fattens up now she no longer has kittens to drain her.  She loved her tucker!

The reason I gave Ginge that name was to differentiate her from her very similar sister. Ginge had a ginger-coloured head compared to her sister 'Marble', who was brown. In the photos she looks more ginger than in reality.

I really hope I get to see the other two kittens from the litter when they go up for adoption after foster to compare their progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.