Is this normal for a neuter fee??? Im actually shocked I think...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys really made me feel better about it all... I dont want to come off as cheap but that seemed outrageous... Im glad that I asked before putting myself into a financial depression (more mental) and going with the price at my original vet... Im considering changing vets all together now!

rugthugs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in Virginia. After pricing around, I had my male bengal pet boy neutered and a rabies shot for 225. That was mid-range for here.
I am always astonished at the folks who are still getting neuters/spays for under a 100 bucks. I think those prices are on their way out-almost every vet in town is either completely flooded with doing low-cost spay/neuters for rescue groups or has gone corporate and has no room at all for setting reasonable pricing. their goal now is for you to purchase health insurance on your pets and if rountine surgery is affordable, fewer pet owners will buy the insurance.
I have a great theory on what really happened to the Kennedy brothers and MM, btw...

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definitely check with your city and with the local Humane Society. Here in Seattle, the city only charges $40 (see http://www.seattle.gov/animalshelter/spay.htm) and the Humane Society only $35 (see all prices here: http://www.seattlehumane.org/clinic.shtml). I've had it done by the city years ago, with females and they did an excellent job. My two Bengal rescues were done at the Human Society just prior to our adoption. That's where the foster mom we got them from takes all of her rescues if they haven't been altered yet when she gets them.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Humane Society here only does low neuter spay/neuters for Milwaukee and Ozaukee county residents, which I think is kind of bogus!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah he isnt thrilled, but they will grow on eachother, I see how he is when he talks to our kitties and gives them scritches

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Husband was the same way.
He said Gracie and Lizzie were all we could have, then I rescued Annabelle he wasn't happy but now he loves her to death.
Then I decided that I had to bring Elliott in.... again he wasn't so happy but Elliott is his buddy now.
We lost our Lizzie to cancer in May and my Husband is the one who wanted to know when we were going to go to the shelter and find another cat...he says it's for Gracie so she doens't miss her Sister so much..but I see right through him

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww I am sorry about your kitty, and Im glad your dh has warmed up to all your furbabies. Men try to put up a front that they are hard, but then when it comes to kitties they just melt (well the cool guys at least)!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will freely admit to not reading through the entire thread here, so this may or may not be of any assistance to you, but here is a listing of low- or no-cost spay neuter clinics in WI:

Humane Animal Welfare Society
Waukesha WI
262-542-8851

Countryside Humane Society
Racine WI
262-554-6699
Low cost s/n services offered once a week for pets of Racine County residents.

9Lives Animal Adoption & Rescue
Milwaukee WI
414-299-9002

City Animal Hospital
Glendale WI
414-332-5555

Wisconsin Humane Society
SNAP Program
Milwaukee WI
414-431-6205

Wisconsin Friends of Animals
Milwaukee WI
414-342-5842

Animal Protective League
Wauwatosa WI
414-453-7177

Alliance for Animals
112 State Street #605
Madison, WI 53703
608-257-6333
For people who can't afford it, AFA helps pay for spay/neuter of pets and rescued strays.

Washburn County Area Humane Society
Spooner, WI
Helps pay for spay/neuter for pets of people of fixed income or low income.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw that exact same list, that is the one I went off of and called around, till a friend from this site (local) gave me a reference to her vet

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

You guys really made me feel better about it all... I dont want to come off as cheap but that seemed outrageous... Im glad that I asked before putting myself into a financial depression (more mental) and going with the price at my original vet... Im considering changing vets all together now!
I would certainly change vets. VCA is known for being very overpriced.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah he isnt thrilled, but they will grow on eachother, I see how he is when he talks to our kitties and gives them scritches
My hubby wasn't thrilled about a 3rd cat, but he sure felt better knowing that his opinion mattered.
Part of the shelter requirements were everyone had to meet the animal and agree to the adoption. Luckily, Stimpy was a good salesman.

marshfieldmale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

I will freely admit to not reading through the entire thread here, so this may or may not be of any assistance to you, but here is a listing of low- or no-cost spay neuter clinics in WI:

Humane Animal Welfare Society
Waukesha WI
262-542-8851

Countryside Humane Society
Racine WI
262-554-6699
Low cost s/n services offered once a week for pets of Racine County residents.

9Lives Animal Adoption & Rescue
Milwaukee WI
414-299-9002

City Animal Hospital
Glendale WI
414-332-5555

Wisconsin Humane Society
SNAP Program
Milwaukee WI
414-431-6205

Wisconsin Friends of Animals
Milwaukee WI
414-342-5842

Animal Protective League
Wauwatosa WI
414-453-7177

Alliance for Animals
112 State Street #605
Madison, WI 53703
608-257-6333
For people who can't afford it, AFA helps pay for spay/neuter of pets and rescued strays.

Washburn County Area Humane Society
Spooner, WI
Helps pay for spay/neuter for pets of people of fixed income or low income.
Any suggestions for someone in the Central part of the state? I live in Marshfield, and have a 2-year old cat that was gifted to me 6 months ago and she needs to be spayed, as she's in perpetual heat. I asked the animal hospital around the corner from me and they quoted me something like $136, which I cannot afford due to being on social security disability. They also offered to do the spay for an additional $60 by laser. I contacted the Wood County Humane Society and they only deal with Vets in Wisconsin Rapids, which is about 30 miles south of here. I may contact them again as a last resort.

karikatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Weeee!!!!! Fellow Wisconsinites!
I live in Janesville, about 45 min. south of Madison.

Anyho, I asked my vet the other day about the cost of spaying and neutering. Without a microchip, it starts at about $250 and goes up. I was SHOCKED. Our other vet in Edgerton charges about $110, and that includes the blood work. I still may call around and see if anyone does it for less. I am not happy with the Edgerton vet, seeing how we had a $100 vet bill last night. For the exam, fecal test, and meds, that's it.

Just like businesses, I think vets are becoming more and more greedy. Do they not realize that more people would take their pets in for routine care if prices were reasonable? /sigh

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KariKatMom

Weeee!!!!! Fellow Wisconsinites!
I live in Janesville, about 45 min. south of Madison.

Anyho, I asked my vet the other day about the cost of spaying and neutering. Without a microchip, it starts at about $250 and goes up. I was SHOCKED. Our other vet in Edgerton charges about $110, and that includes the blood work. I still may call around and see if anyone does it for less. I am not happy with the Edgerton vet, seeing how we had a $100 vet bill last night. For the exam, fecal test, and meds, that's it.

Just like businesses, I think vets are becoming more and more greedy. Do they not realize that more people would take their pets in for routine care if prices were reasonable? /sigh
There really are alot of us from Wisconsin on here

Try checking into this place:
Alliance for Animals
112 State Street #605
Madison, WI 53703
608-257-6333

Im not sure if they are still an active company but its worth a call. Im not sure if it is a "low income housing" program but its worth asking about, or maybe they could refer you to another low cost clinic. Wisconsin vet's are not cheap when it comes to anything, Ive come to notice.

I was talking to the guy Im getting my kitten from (last night) and we agreed that dentists and vets go on some vacations with the money we spend in neuter/spays and other dental cosmetic procedures...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Those prices are insane!! The expensive one here is like $150-1275(never dealt with altering with her)....otherwise Dr. Stupid is $95/spay $85/neuter(10 or more he gives a discount to get farm cats fixed
). The cheap sane vet is $98.50/spay...neuter not sure. There's one more 45 minutes for me that costs $50/spay, but he is "stingy" on anesthesia & IMO is a very shifty vet as far as I'm concerned!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That odes sound high. When I got Spyder and Chuckie neutered the total was less than that combined.

marshfieldmale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They have a webpage...

http://www.allanimals.org/

There really are alot of us from Wisconsin on here

Try checking into this place:
Alliance for Animals
112 State Street #605
Madison, WI 53703
608-257-6333
After checking out their webpage, I'm not sure if they still have the assistance program or not, but it may be worth contacting them to ask...thanks for the information (even if it wasn't directed at me) as I've been looking for a vet who does low-income spays in my area...as I think I mentioned earlier in this thread.).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one that mentioned about the high prices and people can't afford to get them spayed/neutered is probably very right!

My cats/dog are not microchipped and I don't intend to do so. I grew up with dogs/cats and showed/bred cats and NONE of them were ever microchipped. No one ran away or got lost. While it could happen to anyone, the liklihood of it happening is NOT worth the $200+ it would cost. And if you have more then one cat/dog, the money can add up very quickly.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine wont be microchipped right away, and who knows if ever? I kind feel bad but this little guy (kitty Im gettin tomorrow) will be the only one in my clan who will be wearing a collar. The other 2 do not because they are chipped... My most recent kitten came with a chip so Im not even sure how much it costs (Im sure not cheap). I know I should make my other 2 kitties wear collars just in case, but i dont (just to clear the air in case someone decides to jump on me for that).